Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-08-2021, 12:57 PM   #1

Garage
Daily Drive Without Front Sway Bar?

Just curious. Does anyone do this?

I'm having a heck of a time removing the top mount of the left front sway bar link on my 1998 986 (its frozen from corrosion). The bottom came off the sway bar easily. The car is my daily driver and I have already mangled the link so there is no turning back at this point. I saw a couple other posts that mention driving without a front sway bar but nothing definitive.

Just looking for personal experiences.

Thanks!

10DigitVIN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2021, 02:44 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by 10DigitVIN View Post

I'm having a heck of a time removing the top mount of the left front sway bar link on my 1998 986 (its frozen from corrosion). The bottom came off the sway bar easily. The car is my daily driver and I have already mangled the link so there is no turning back at this point. I saw a couple other posts that mention driving without a front sway bar but nothing definitive.

Thanks!
I've never done it but Im not sure I ever would. If you never break 30 mph and go real slow around turns I suppose you might not notice a difference. But then what's the point of driving this car?

Remember that the the proper name for a sway bar is "anti-roll" bar. It literally counteracts the car's natural tendency to roll outward (and over) when making turns. Read a bit about it and you'll understand.

Id figure out a way to get the remaining drop link off, replace what's broken, and reinstall everything.

Out of curiosity, what got you in this pickle to start with?

Sent from my POCOPHONE F1 using Tapatalk
Old 06-08-2021, 03:08 PM   #3

Garage
"Out of curiosity, what got you in this pickle to start with?"

No manner of heating, soaking the top mount with penetrant, hitting with a mallet/air hammer/impact wrench will loosen the top mount. I have resorted to cutting the ball joint end off of the top of the link to introduce more penetrant and will continue tomorrow. I need the car to get around during the day. 1998 New Jersey car with a salty road history.
Old 06-08-2021, 03:08 PM   #4

Quote:

Thanks!
Not to be pedantic, but I fail to see what the problem is here. I have probably taken out several hundred of these; corroded, broken, and generally beat to Hell; and they all came out.

Driving the car without the bar is fine as long as you never have to hit the brakes hard, or do a sudden avoidance maneuver, which at the minimum would end up damaging the car, or even killing you.

So, I have to make a couple of assumptions here: You either lack the tools to fix this, or you lack the knowledge of how to fix it. Either way, the answer is simple: Take the car to someone that does before this gets really stupid.
Old 06-08-2021, 04:52 PM   #5

I think everyone's exaggerating a bit here. The sway bar is to minimize body roll in turns. In extreme driving, yes, you could lose control from too much body roll. But that's in EXTREME conditions. The sway bar has no effect during hard braking, unless you brake and turn at the same time. Like in an avoidance maneuver as JFP mentioned. Even then, you'd have to turn and brake pretty hard.

But I don't think the OP is asking to permanently delete it. Since it's a daily driver, I'm guessing he/she's asking about driving it until they can figure out how to fix it properly.

I've driven my work van for weeks with a broken front sway bar link and could barely notice at all. I bet there are many people out there who have broken sway bar links and not even know it. Just go to Ohio, where they don't require annual safety inspections.

10DigitVIN, I'd be quite comfortable driving the car for a while until you can take it somewhere to cut the link off so you or they can install your replacement. And that's what I recommend you do. Go to a local mechanic's shop and ask them to just cut it off. They do that all the time, as JFP has.

Last edited by piper6909; 06-08-2021 at 04:55 PM.
piper6909 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2021, 04:54 PM   #6
PLP

I do not know how it would influence this particular car and how it would feel.
However, I had driven a few cars in my not too long life that were never equipped with swaybars (front or rear) and I lived.

Go drive, it will be fine.
Try the car, if you feel that you need to, on some empty road with a few more or less sudden movements to see how it behaves.

It will roll more to the sides, may be weird to handle, but otherwise will drive just fine.

It is not like driving without brakes or one tie rod end disconnected.

Actually, I did drive without brakes (only with the hand brake half OK) twice in my life.

Previous: 2014 Fiat 500e, 2016 KIA Forte5 SX, 2016 Fiat 500X, and some old days: Trabant, Fiat 126p...
PLP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2021, 05:44 PM   #7

Yay! Safety third!

I'm just kidding. In the words of Tom Segura - go ahead, squeeze her tits, have some fun

Old 06-09-2021, 07:11 AM   #8

Garage
Thanks for the constructive feedback piper6909.

10DigitVIN
Old 06-09-2021, 08:40 AM   #9
Who's askin'?

Quote:
Thanks for the constructive feedback piper6909.

10DigitVIN
you only thanked Piper 'cuz he's the only one who told you what you wanted to hear, hahaha. :dance:

J/K.
But seriously.

I don't know how badly you've mangled stuff, but these parts are cheap enough that I didn't bother trying to sell them from cars I parted-out: I simply threw them in the landfill stack. Buy an ebay swaybar and end-links, or hit-up this forum and see who's got one they took off to replace with aftermarket; they'd probably send it to you for the cost of shipping and a 6-pack of beer.

Wanting to drive without it makes no sense. I mean, can you get by for 4 days while you're waiting for parts to arrive via FedEx? Uh-huh. yup. But don't do more than that.....
That Don't Make No Sense!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TM-G0bkl8MQ
maytag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2021, 02:52 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by maytag View Post
you only thanked Piper 'cuz he's the only one who told you what you wanted to hear, hahaha. :dance:

J/K.
But seriously.

I don't know how badly you've mangled stuff, but these parts are cheap enough that I didn't bother trying to sell them from cars I parted-out: I simply threw them in the landfill stack. Buy an ebay swaybar and end-links, or hit-up this forum and see who's got one they took off to replace with aftermarket; they'd probably send it to you for the cost of shipping and a 6-pack of beer.

Wanting to drive without it makes no sense. I mean, can you get by for 4 days while you're waiting for parts to arrive via FedEx? Uh-huh. yup. But don't do more than that.....
That Don't Make No Sense!
Maytag, why are you still lingering here? Didn't you sell yours!??

J/K Nice to hear from you, bud!
Old 06-09-2021, 03:13 PM   #11
Who's askin'?

Quote:
Originally Posted by piper6909 View Post
Maytag, why are you still lingering here? Didn't you sell yours!??

J/K Nice to hear from you, bud!
well, I sold ONE of them.... but still playing around with this one..... Mostly I'm just here to keep you in line..... :dance:

Old 06-09-2021, 04:11 PM   #12

Quote:
..... Mostly I'm just here to keep you in line..... :dance:

It would be nice if someone could!
Old 06-09-2021, 05:33 PM   #13

Quote:

J/

Maytag, you beat me to it! I love this forum, it's like people watching only with words.

Old 06-12-2021, 09:57 AM   #14

Garage
Thanks EVERYONE for the feedback. Much appreciated. Unfortunately I took the car out last night, went into a corner too hot, rolled it and am now dead.

See you soon!
Old 06-13-2021, 04:54 AM   #15

Quote:
well, I sold ONE of them.... but still playing around with this one..... Mostly I'm just here to keep you in line..... :dance:

I dig your 50’s 550 hardtop scheme with red and yellow accents over the classic racing silver!
1997 Boxster arctic silver/ red, XNE riveted mahogany/ leather steering wheel & 917-style wood shift knob, Ben’s short shifter, PSE, 996 TB, UDP, stereo/ center console delete, hardtop and speedster humps, daily driver rain or shine or snow!
Boxstard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2021, 08:03 AM   #16
Racer Boy

Quote:
Thanks EVERYONE for the feedback. Much appreciated. Unfortunately I took the car out last night, went into a corner too hot, rolled it and am now dead.
Thanks for updating us on what happened!
Racer Boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2021, 02:33 PM   #17
Who's askin'?

Quote:

See you soon!
Well..... that seems.... um..... definitive, at least?

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk
Old 06-13-2021, 05:31 PM   #18

Quote:

See you soon!
So what's it like on the other side? Must be pretty good, no one has ever moved back!