Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-02-2021, 08:16 PM   #21

All 4 boots are identical...right?

Frodo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2021, 08:01 AM   #22

all four are identical.
Keith Newby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2021, 03:00 PM   #23

Thanks from the many you have helped over the years.
mikefocke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2021, 02:53 PM   #24

Garage
I bought the DSS axle for $117 and it's been working great. It even comes with a 3yr 36k mile warranty.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zordrack View Post
Inner boot is torn. The on at the transmission.

And looked like the OEM axle was about $900 from Pelican and aftermarket about $150.
Boot rebuild kit looks to be about $100.

So again.
My question is does it make more sense to replace the axle or replace the boot and repack the joint ?

And if replacing the axle then is there a reason (beyond snobbery) to go OEM for this ?

My spidey sense says "replace the axle" since I have no idea how long it's been running dry and that would give me new boots on both ends.
Jasper7821 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2021, 02:40 AM   #25

Garage
I am in the process of changing the boots on my 2000 base. I have already done it on the other Boxster I owned, also a 2000 base. Both boots can be changed (done from the transmission end of the axle) and the same boot is used, 928 332 293 02. I also changed the boots on my 928 so maybe that makes me an almost expert.
To the original poster... you will have to look at the CV joint, as Woody said. If the joint is really running dry you would hear it. There is a good chance that there is still grease in the torn boot and as long as there is not water it could be OK.
1987 924S 5-speed (Sold) - Blue 2000 Boxster 5 spd (Sold)
elgyqc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2021, 06:28 AM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by JFP in PA View Post
Most of the cheap after market axles we have seen are junk. Unfortunately, you gets what you pays for....................
My experience tracks JFP's comment above, unfortunately. The independent shop I went to installed cheap aftermarket axles on my 2002 S, and within less than 3,000 miles the outer grease crimps on both axles started leaking, leaving grease all over the inside of my rear wheels (and leaving the bearings short on grease, obviously). Money down the drain, IMHO. I decided to pony up for the OEM axles for the replacements. I found these photos online showing the difference: