Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-07-2021, 04:16 AM   #1
PLP

A must to do list with Durametric. Suggestions?

Hello,
I am about to be a new owner. I hope the car checks out and I will drive it back in several hours. I feel like a small kid getting his favourite ice cream.

I rented Durametric to check over revs, timing difference between banks, maybe other stuff suggested here. I presume it would be the Professional cable.

Since it is a week long rental, I might use it for other things or tricks, like activating certain features of which I did not know.

Hence the question is two fold.

One - what to check during the PPI?

Second - what changes, features activation, or such to perform?

Thanks all in advance.

Oh, yeah, we are talking about a base 986 from 2003, MT 'course.
cheers,

PLP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2021, 04:19 AM   #2

Do you have local shop toe do the PPI?
2ata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2021, 05:07 AM   #3
PLP

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2ata View Post
Do you have local shop toe do the PPI?
Unfortunately I do not.
Shops I called are swamped or refused to do anything on Saturday, so it means I must perform PPI myself. Hence I rented Durametric.

I mean, it is almost 20 years old car. And it is a car. ICE that I have been driving for years. I spent about 30 years under cars of different ages. Recently I shifted into EVs, just for the fun of them.
I hope I can handle it. The only thing that would be hidden is some internal engine damage that would be revealed after dropping the oil pan or actually full inspection of the engine. Yet, some major flaws can be heard the moment you start it and drive it hard.
If you have any 986 specific suggestions, please let me know.
Old 05-07-2021, 05:27 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by PLP View Post
Unfortunately I do not.
Shops I called are swamped or refused to do anything on Saturday, so it means I must perform PPI myself. Hence I rented Durametric.

I mean, it is almost 20 years old car. And it is a car. ICE that I have been driving for years. I spent about 30 years under cars of different ages. Recently I shifted into EVs, just for the fun of them.
I hope I can handle it. The only thing that would be hidden is some internal engine damage that would be revealed after dropping the oil pan or actually full inspection of the engine. Yet, some major flaws can be heard the moment you start it and drive it hard.
A proper test with a vacuum gauge will tell you a lot about the condition of the engine.
Google automotive vacuum testing. Look for info that not only describes the gauge readings but also the action of the gauge needle.

With the Durametric things like fuel trims, O2 sensor reading, Camshaft deviation. Between the two you should get a good feel for the condition o the engine.
blue62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2021, 06:00 AM   #5

Quote:
Second - what changes, features activation, or such to perform?
If your car doesn't have the on board computer (4 stalks, blinker, wipers, cruise control, on board computer) and doesn't display the outside temp on the dash, you can enable the OBC in durametric (both enthusiast and pro, if you have a rental it is most likely pro) and you will get that temp display. It is a neat feature.

You can then later wire up a switch if you want all the OBC features, on my 2000S, I just have the temp display (was already done before I bought the car...)

https://www.pelicanparts.com/techarticles/Boxster_Tech/91-ELEC-turn_signal_switch_-_OBC_upgrade/91-ELEC-turn_signal_switch_-_OBC_upgrade.htm

Edit - looks like this might not work for your year according the article, my bad
steved0x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2021, 06:25 AM   #6

This shop is great they're in Portage. They are great supporters of PCA members.

import auto repair, Foreign Car Services Portage, MI Racing Album

Grand Rapids. Talk to Ben.
https://www.germanautoltd.com/

https://euroautowerks.com/

These are great Indy shops near GR

What area are you picking the car up from?

Last edited by 2ata; 05-07-2021 at 06:35 AM.
2ata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2021, 07:06 AM   #7

Quote:
Take it to someone that knows what they are doing; PPI's are not a "learn as you go" project, they are your last chance to avoid buying someone else's disaster.
Old 05-07-2021, 07:55 AM   #8
PLP

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2ata View Post
What area are you picking the car up from?
Boston, MA
Old 05-07-2021, 08:04 AM   #9

I think the most important thing is to understand the mechanical flaws that have showed themselves to be rather universal... VC pad wear, ims failure, bore scoring are probably the top 3 serious ones, AOS failure and worn suspension bushings (especially on rear components) being more minor but still a problem. There are a lot of other issues that are not so systematic but are notoriously pains in the ass - sai issues, vacuum leaks, MAF sensor issues, convertible top transmission failures, to name a few.

Durametric will help to detect vc pad wear, ims failure is a pinata (either you hit it or you don't), and bore scoring will only be seen with a borescope or leak down testing.

In general, if I had to pick only one, a leak down test would be the one thing I would pick. There's no way you're gonna accomplish that in the guys driveway though.

The other issues will be rather evident.

If you can't do a formal ppi, run the full durametric, makes sure all the numbers check out, and then test drive the piss out of it. If the numbers check out and she feels good with the pedal on the floor and you pegged to the door in a turn, you're probably getting a good car.

Sent from my POCOPHONE F1 using Tapatalk
Old 05-07-2021, 11:38 AM   #10

Ditto. Best $250 I spent as it set me up for my long term maintenance plan. My PPI guy set up Porsches for racing and had engines disassembled in the shop so I know when he said something he knew what he was talking about. And when he took me on a test drive, he knew how it should drive.

mikefocke is offline   Reply With Quote