Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-16-2021, 05:26 PM   #1

Coolant leak & puddle under rear carpet, but replaced tank less than 4 months ago.

As the title says - found some coolant leaking when i was out and about today. Maybe a quarter cup worth?

When I got home, the drip was maybe 15 drops worth. Coolant tank was slightly low, but have noticed that when the car is up to temp.

Mild puddle in the trunk, no residue on any of the hoses, or on the tank itself anywhere.

Miniscule hissing noise from the cap, but no residue at all to show leakage from there. It's the updated version as well, so that shouldn't be in.

Anyone have any ideas?

Last edited by chromecarz00; 03-16-2021 at 05:55 PM.
chromecarz00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2021, 06:35 PM   #2

Hissing noise from the cap? That is not normal.
Beelzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2021, 06:36 PM   #3

Garage
Hi! Harbor Freight sells an expansion tank testing kit for $89.99. Should allow you to pressurize the tank and listen/watch for leaks. Just a suggestion, good luck!
porschefan76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2021, 07:00 PM   #4
Racer Boy

It's an updated cap, but how old is it? I had a two-year old cap Porsche cap fail, so it's possible. If that's the problem, it's the best of all the possibilities!
Racer Boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2021, 08:21 PM   #5

Thanks all for suggestions.

The cap was changed at the same time as the coolant reservoir - 4 months ago.

I may pressure test, or just try to refill it and see what happens when I start it.
Old 03-17-2021, 02:57 AM   #6

My trunk was flooded even though my tank was only 2 years old. Went ahead and replaced it. Turned out the issue was a loose clamp on the original tank. Note to self; self check the easy stuff first. Lesson learned!
Old 03-17-2021, 06:36 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by flouese View Post
My trunk was flooded even though my tank was only 2 years old. Went ahead and replaced it. Turned out the issue was a loose clamp on the original tank. Note to self; self check the easy stuff first. Lesson learned!
Well, I guess I'll go out there and try and find the leak!
Old 03-17-2021, 07:00 AM   #8

In your first picture the first hose on the left is showing a powdery residue under and around the hose clamp.
Could be a leak or a leak from the past.
Pressure testing the system is your best starting place to correct the issue.
blue62 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2021, 08:16 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by blue62 View Post
In your first picture the first hose on the left is showing a powdery residue under and around the hose clamp.
Could be a leak or a leak from the past.
Pressure testing the system is your best starting place to correct the issue.
I ordered a pressure tester off Amazon and will leak it down as soon as I can! Heopfully tomorrow
Old 03-17-2021, 08:31 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by chromecarz00 View Post
I ordered a pressure tester off Amazon and will leak it down as soon as I can! Heopfully tomorrow
Keep us posted on what you find
Old 03-17-2021, 10:19 AM   #11

Reread the thread.
The hose with the powdery looking residue I pointed to is in the second picture not the first.
Sorry
Old 03-17-2021, 01:26 PM   #12

1. loose hose clamp
2. bad hose
3. bad cap (even though you said it's "new' might still not be the latest version)
4. non-OEM tank (lots of crappy replacement tanks for less money out there but in the long run it's wiser to pay the price and get the "real deal" from Porsche
Rob175 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2021, 05:47 PM   #13

Just a quick update here... Turned out to be a defective tank. Pelican parts was a little bit of a pain to deal with, but they eventually made everything right.

My new issue is - I'm not sure what kind of coolant I have in there right now and I want to avoid the potential of creating the gel by mixing... So, my current plan is to get a coolant/water ratio measuring tool from pre stone, and figure out what the coolant ratio to water ratio is right now. If it's lower than, say 40/60, I was thinking of adding some kind of water wetter or something like that to help augment the cooling abilities. I've heard lots of good reviews, but also some iffy ones... I'd like to do a flush this year when I get back from overseas, but want something to hold me over until then.

Thoughts?

Secondary plan is to get some coolant tests figure out how good the coolant is to help me decide when to get the flush done - later this year or next year
Old 03-23-2021, 05:52 PM   #14

believe you are way over thinking it. If your concerned, just drain the coolant and replace it. It's an easy job and pretty cheap. With what your 1st & 2nd plan is you will spend more time doing that then it takes to just drain & replace. As long as whoever put it in last didn't use DexCool you wont need to even worry about the tests.
2002 996 (SOLD)
1986 944 (gone but missed)
Stl-986 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2021, 08:15 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by chromecarz00 View Post
Just a quick update here... Turned out to be a defective tank. Pelican parts was a little bit of a pain to deal with, but they eventually made everything right.

My new issue is - I'm not sure what kind of coolant I have in there right now and I want to avoid the potential of creating the gel by mixing... So, my current plan is to get a coolant/water ratio measuring tool from pre stone, and figure out what the coolant ratio to water ratio is right now. If it's lower than, say 40/60, I was thinking of adding some kind of water wetter or something like that to help augment the cooling abilities. I've heard lots of good reviews, but also some iffy ones... I'd like to do a flush this year when I get back from overseas, but want something to hold me over until then.

Thoughts?

Secondary plan is to get some coolant tests figure out how good the coolant is to help me decide when to get the flush done - later this year or next year
A common misconceptions is that different "color" coolants will not jive if mixed and create sludge. This isn't always the case. Pedro did a pretty nice write-up of it on his site, and many other sites confirm what he says. I can vouch for the safety of mixing OAT type coolants without consequence (both in my 986 and other vehicles).

Sent from my POCOPHONE F1 using Tapatalk
Old 03-26-2021, 04:36 AM   #16
Motorist & Coffee Drinker

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by ike84 View Post
A common misconceptions is that different "color" coolants will not jive if mixed and create sludge. This isn't always the case. Pedro did a pretty nice write-up of it on his site, and many other sites confirm what he says. I can vouch for the safety of mixing OAT type coolants without consequence (both in my 986 and other vehicles).

Sent from my POCOPHONE F1 using Tapatalk
I totally agree on the safety of mixing a different OAT coolant, but highly recommend that people know what they are putting in. There are still some coolants out there on the shelf that will turn the Porsche coolant into red Jello. One of the salvage cars I bought had that happen and the engine was trash.

I keep a jug of G12 (pink) around for the couple cars that still have Porsche or G12 in them. When I drain or flush, they get Zerex OAT or similar filling them back up.