Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-24-2021, 07:48 AM   #1

New owner soft top replacement

Just got a 2001 Boxster and it needs a new soft top the actual top itself seems to be fine but the window is shot 100%. What would you guys advise. Not sure if I want plastic or glass. Or the acoustic material or the regular. I planned on buying from autotopsdirect since they have good prices. I plan on installing it myself to abound 700 in labor I was quoted. Stay fast material with plastic window is 389, with acoustic is 469. Black stayfast with glass is 585 and with acoustic material is 729$

Escott1622 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2021, 08:21 AM   #2

I strongly suggest the money you spend on labor with an EXPERIENCE shop who has done a Boxster top before .... (others will disagree) is IMHO money well spent! So really think about it, because top replacement can be a real difficult job for a first timer!

Having said that.....IF you decide to have a shop install it I would also suggest you discuss it with that shop to get their recommendations as to the brand of top they prefer and the reasons they prefer it. The plus of a glass back window has the defroster wires (you have a wired switch already in your panel) and it will never deteriorate like plastic.......the negative is that the glass window could be smaller than the plastic window in most cases.

I had an experienced automotive upholstery shop do mine. They ordered the top from the vendor they had prior experience with. My 98' now has new a standard (not acoustic) black top with glass and a defroster that works great. the job was done in ONE DAY. In the Chicago area has typically high prices....I paid $1,400 total and that was 2 yrs ago.

It's my summer sunny day driver so 90% of the time the top is folded down.

Last edited by Rob175; 03-24-2021 at 08:24 AM.
Rob175 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2021, 08:43 AM   #3

The diy documents on this project are horrifying. Read them before you decide, its definitely one of the more difficult projects out there.

There have been descriptions of only replacing the platic window - one guy detailed his diy approach. I would try to find a boat canvas or auto upholstery shop and ask them about replacing it though, because even just the window is labor intensive.

Sent from my POCOPHONE F1 using Tapatalk
Old 03-24-2021, 09:04 AM   #4

First time convertible owner but I’ve worked on a lot of cars before so I’m reasonably handy. I imagine any shop who wants to do the window will have to take the whole top off anyway so it wouldn’t make sense to not replace the top. I drive the car rain or shine so budget fixes I’ll try to avoid. I’ll get some more quotes
Old 03-24-2021, 09:18 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Escott1622 View Post
First time convertible owner but I’ve worked on a lot of cars before so I’m reasonably handy. I imagine any shop who wants to do the window will have to take the whole top off anyway so it wouldn’t make sense to not replace the top. I drive the car rain or shine so budget fixes I’ll try to avoid. I’ll get some more quotes
I replaced mine all day job with the help of roaring tiger garage (youtube) very helpful. Watch this and then decide. I went with plastic window because of price.
mtb50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2021, 10:30 AM   #6

I too struggled with the dilemma of replacing myself or having a shop replace it. Ultimately I chose to replace it myself. In all honesty I didn't find it to be too difficult at all. If you are patient and take your time it can be done. Search my posts and you can find a photo of my finished work. It installed with no wrinkles and fit very nice and tight. It has been on since this past October and I am very pleased. I have a 2001 base and ordered the glass window top with acoustic material from autotops direct. If I remember the cost was around $580 and the instructions were well written and thorough. Those along with a couple of youtube videos was all I referenced. Good luck with your decision whichever way you decide. Ping me if you have specific questions and you think I can help.
Jgkram is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2021, 10:35 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jgkram View Post
I too struggled with the dilemma of replacing myself or having a shop replace it. Ultimately I chose to replace it myself. In all honesty I didn't find it to be too difficult at all. If you are patient and take your time it can be done. Search my posts and you can find a photo of my finished work. It installed with no wrinkles and fit very nice and tight. It has been on since this past October and I am very pleased. I have a 2001 base and ordered the glass window top with acoustic material from autotops direct. If I remember the cost was around $580 and the instructions were well written and thorough. Those along with a couple of youtube videos was all I referenced. Good luck with your decision whichever way you decide. Ping me if you have specific questions and you think I can help.
How long did it take you and are you glad you went with the glass? Did you notice any actual differences with the acoustic ?
Old 03-24-2021, 11:35 AM   #8

I decided to do this over a nice weekend last October. I do not have a garage so I had to wait for some nice weather. I started taking the old top off when I got home from work on Friday and finished the install Sunday afternoon. I worked at a steady pace and definitely took time to double check myself each step of the way. I am pleased with the glass top although I have not tried to service the engine. I hear it does not fold up as far as the plastic window so it limits the area available. Be aware the rear view is quite a bit reduced however it's really nice to be able to see through crystal clear glass. I do believe the acoustic material also helped with the noise level although that is really subjective. The biggest issues I had were; fitting some side tabs that are blind (see the Roaring Tigers youtube), getting some glue on the top (but it cleaned off easily) and replacing a plastic retaining strip that holds my headliner (the original broke and i had to wait on a replacement part). I took tons of photos during my teardown as reference notes and I highly recommend doing that if you choose to do this yourself. Several folks have commented on the job and asked me to replace their tops (which I've declined). Again good luck whatever you decide.
Old 03-24-2021, 11:52 AM   #9

Garage
I`m replacying the vinyl window in mine just now. It`s doable and cheap, but I wouldn`t recommend it unless you have plenty of time to do the stitching, it takes forever..
Homeoboxter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2021, 02:24 AM   #10

I just replaced my top for the 2nd time. It took a day and a number of sailor words. I used the Mike Focke (sp?) site and the 101 Projects book to do the install. Last top lasted only 4 years until the window just fell apart. My only issue is that my most recent top does not have the material attached that an elastic piece is attached that helps pull the top into the channel when shutting it. Look for that piece before you start the install. I'm still trying to figure how to retrofit that piece...

Last edited by flouese; 03-25-2021 at 02:26 AM. Reason: Added details
flouese is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2021, 03:21 AM   #11

See if you can find someone parting out an 03 or 04 Boxster. If the top is in good shape, and you can buy it at a good price swapping the entire top and frame is a fairly easy job. The glass in the 03/04 tops is larger than the glass in the after market tops due to the design of the frame.
Painted Bumperettes, 2004 (OEM) Top, Homelink integrated in dash with Targa switch, 997 Shifter, Carrera Gauge Cluster with silver gauge faces, heated 12-way driver & 8-way passenger seats, Litronics, silver console
KevinH1990 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2021, 03:23 AM   #12

You might want to consider looking for a complete OEM top/frame assembly from a 2003 - 2004 Boxster . The 03/04 Boxster came with a 4 bow frame vs 3 bow on earlier models and it has a glass window . So you get OEM quality/fit with a glass window .

I found an aftermarket glass window top already mounted to the 3 bow frame , a straight bolt in for my 02 S . I like the top and the visibility of the glass window but engine access is slightly decreased . My understanding is the factory 4 bow folds better which provides better engine access .

Finding a clean 4 bow may take some time but I believe worth it in a perfect world . Next best option a new top on your 3 bow frame with glass window .
rfuerst911sc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2021, 04:57 AM   #13

I would agree with rfuerst911sc. I looked for a 4 bow frame at a reasonable price for many months and couldn't find one. The boxster is my DD so i had to eventually move off the dime and replace the top. Duck tape is even harder to see through than old plastic! Anyway, if you can find a 4 bow frame go with that. Otherwise the glass window in the 3 bow is a really nice option. Just be careful in your selection of tops and buy from a reputable maker. Good reviews for both GAAH and Sierra.
Old 03-25-2021, 06:35 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by flouese View Post
I just replaced my top for the 2nd time. It took a day and a number of sailor words. I used the Mike Focke (sp?) site and the 101 Projects book to do the install. Last top lasted only 4 years until the window just fell apart. My only issue is that my most recent top does not have the material attached that an elastic piece is attached that helps pull the top into the channel when shutting it. Look for that piece before you start the install. I'm still trying to figure how to retrofit that piece...
I'm in the same boat in that my new top is missing the fabric tab for the elastic. I saw a video where someone sewed a piece in but I need to know where about along the top it goes.
2001 Boxster, 2.7l
sharper410 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2021, 06:45 AM   #15

I am also searching for complete tops off part out vehicles that way it’s 30 minutes and a few bolts whole thing comes out
Old 03-26-2021, 03:06 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by sharper410 View Post
I'm in the same boat in that my new top is missing the fabric tab for the elastic. I saw a video where someone sewed a piece in but I need to know where about along the top it goes.
I've hit up the forum up several times on this subject. Waiting for someone to post a picture of where this mystery piece of material connects to on both ends. Several videos show the repair, but none show what to do if the material is not thee. I spent a few hours yesterday attaching material to several locations and failed each time.

Last edited by flouese; 03-26-2021 at 03:07 AM. Reason: corrected typo
flouese is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2021, 06:23 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Escott1622 View Post
I am also searching for complete tops off part out vehicles that way it’s 30 minutes and a few bolts whole thing comes out
Good luck with this, I agree that it's the best way to go but I have been looking for about a year now and have not seen one come up for sale anywhere. If you happen to find two though please let me know

Old 03-26-2021, 08:53 AM   #18

I've replaced my convertible top twice now

(first time was factory top with plastic window cracking...second time my GAHH rear window shattered) and it is not a fun job. Both tops I have put on have had the glass rear window but the first one was a nicer fabric than the one I have now. I would get some double sided banner tape from a sign shop as the recommended double sided 3M tape did nothing for me as it would not stick to the fabric when you are installing the edge of the top in the channel for the rear. Take your time, it is possible as many have said to DIY the job but figure it taking most of full day at minimum.
papasmurf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2021, 11:50 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by ike84 View Post
Good luck with this, I agree that it's the best way to go but I have been looking for about a year now and have not seen one come up for sale anywhere. If you happen to find two though please let me know

Where are you located at? In I’m PA I’ve found several
Old 03-26-2021, 06:19 PM   #20

My .02.

Worst case is you remove your old top (easy!) and takecar to shop if you loose your nerve. Remember, your car will still run, even with no top!

This is a DYI job if you are so inclined. You are literally using double sided tape and a screw driver to do the job. Not trying to over simplify but the Box top is light years ahead of old tops requiring rivets (drilling out an inserting new) and trimming to get a tight fit. You can do it!

As for 03-04 tops and frames....certainly the easiest and fastest way to go but remember, some of those tops may be original, hence 15 or 16 years old.

I had great luck with Autotopsdirect products. I've done a couple 350Z's and a couple of Boxsters and had no issue with the product. BTW, I know that 4 tops doesn't make me a pro....that's my point! Take your time. organize and bag parts as you remove.
You've got this!

dghii is offline   Reply With Quote