Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-28-2021, 11:42 AM   #1

"on board" trickle charger?

My 2000 base has what appears to be a installed trickle charger? Can't see a brand name or any further information on it.

I know it's a bit of a hot topic in terms of choice of charger (ctek v battery tender v generic), so anyone know what this might be or have any opinion?

Cheers

timc01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2021, 12:28 PM   #2

Sorry, no idea and could be any brand. On the assumption they bought it after the car was made in 2000, it's more likely a maintainer not a tender-izer. As such, my thought is sumtin' is better than nuttin'.

Use a mirror & a smart phone and try taking pictures of other sides...especially big flat one facing battery.

You probably realize and just removed for photo but just in case your battery vent tube is disconnected.

Good luck
Old 02-28-2021, 12:34 PM   #3

Burg - thanks for the reply - will take another photo. Probably just as easy to unbolt it and take a better look. Just wondering if anyone else has something similar.

And no, didn't notice the vent tube so thanks!!
Old 03-01-2021, 04:43 PM   #4

I had a very similar one hardwired into my 2000 when I bought her. If I recall correctly it was a hardware store brand, nothing impressive. It didn't even work so I ditched it.

First thing is I would pull it out, verify that it's a float charger (not a trickle charger), and see if it actually works. If it does and you see the need for it then you may want to keep it. Unless this is a weekend only or seasonal car though it may not be worth it.

Sent from my POCOPHONE F1 using Tapatalk
Old 03-01-2021, 04:48 PM   #5

Thanks - I think I am just going to pull it. I don't really like the idea of having some generic hardware store version in the car - if indeed that's what it is. It will be a seasonal vehicle which even more makes me concerned about having something that probably isn't the best option. I'll post what it actually is once I have it out.

Cheers.
Old 03-02-2021, 10:39 AM   #6

It's a solar 1.5 amp charger. Pretty cheap and nasty I think so keeping it off the car and will get something better. I honestly don't see the point of having on permanently fixed to the car.

Old 03-02-2021, 11:47 AM   #7

From the manual for that unit, "Subsequently, the charger will perform a timed float charge for
approximately 5 hours and then enter maintenance mode. The charger will resume charging if the battery’s state of charge declines." Definitely not a sophisticated maintainer................

Listed on a couple of sites for around $40, and listed as "a trickle charger". It was also installed by someone that does not understand these cars were designed to use the cigarette lighter socket to plug the maintainer into, and they run the cord out through the spot created for it on the bottom of the driver's door so you can plug in the maintainer with the doors locked and the alarm on.

Last edited by JFP in PA; 03-02-2021 at 11:49 AM.
JFP in PA is offline   Reply With Quote