Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-23-2021, 06:02 PM   #1
Veteran & Boxster Padawan

IMS Bearing - Once and “done” or with every new clutch?

Hello Forum,

Ok, not looking to debate IMS replacement we all do what makes us happy with our cars and it can be subjective...

Just purchased a 2003 with shop receipt showing IMS replaced with clutch at 19K miles. I can’t tell by service information the manufacturer all I can see is the part cost $760. I do know it is not the LN solution with oil feed from filter there is no metal hose underneath. The clutch was just changed at 50K miles along with pressure plate with no mention of IMS...

So, to my question... are these IMS bearing replacements a “once and done” situation or every so many miles based on an inspection during clutch R&R or is there a preferred miles? And is the inspection pretty obvious to a good mechanic while preforming clutch and pressure plate R&R? Just trying to figure out where I stand with my sleep better at night IMS replacement I can’t tell if $760 for a bearing means it is a quality bearing or prior owner just paid too much

So what do we know about IMS replacements and best practices associated???

Thanks in advance for any help!

Old 02-23-2021, 06:29 PM   #2

LN engineering says their IMS solution is good for about 75k (but that depends on which model you get)

I would say you can swap it out at the NEXT clutch change, considering it was just done. I can only assume you are at 50k miles, so you are good for a little while considering the IMS has only 30k on it.

However- Definitely check your oil at every oil change for metal particles.
solo118 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2021, 05:10 AM   #3
Veteran & Boxster Padawan

Quote:
Originally Posted by solo118 View Post
LN engineering says their IMS solution is good for about 75k (but that depends on which model you get)

I would say you can swap it out at the NEXT clutch change, considering it was just done. I can only assume you are at 50k miles, so you are good for a little while considering the IMS has only 30k on it.

Thanks you very much for the feedback - yes, 51K miles with clutch just replaced and will monitor oil ✅ until next clutch /IMS R&R
Old 02-24-2021, 05:55 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Farmlifer View Post
Hello Forum,

Ok, not looking to debate IMS replacement we all do what makes us happy with our cars and it can be subjective...

Just purchased a 2003 with shop receipt showing IMS replaced with clutch at 19K miles. I can’t tell by service information the manufacturer all I can see is the part cost $760. I do know it is not the LN solution with oil feed from filter there is no metal hose underneath. The clutch was just changed at 50K miles along with pressure plate with no mention of IMS...

So, to my question... are these IMS bearing replacements a “once and done” situation or every so many miles based on an inspection during clutch R&R or is there a preferred miles? And is the inspection pretty obvious to a good mechanic while preforming clutch and pressure plate R&R? Just trying to figure out where I stand with my sleep better at night IMS replacement I can’t tell if $760 for a bearing means it is a quality bearing or prior owner just paid too much

Install LN's IMS Solution and it is done for the life of the engine; anything else will eventually need replacement.
Old 02-24-2021, 06:21 AM   #5

FWIW my IMS Single Row Pro lasted 35,000 miles and failed. I'm the original owner of my car and still on my original clutch, pressure plate, flywheel and release bearing at over 90,000 miles now. How long the clutch lasts depends on how the car is driven. The transmission and or engine have been out of the car 3 times and every time all of the clutch stuff was still in a condition too good to replace. My IMS Solution will outlive the rest of the car.
Former: 2003 S, 3.6 LN Nickies, ARP rod bolts, under-drive pulley, Fabspeed sport headers, Softronic tune, 987 airbox 987 motor mount, Function-First Sport motor mount insert, Ben's short shifter, Nine8Six projector headlights & center caps, ROW M030, stainless flexible brake lines, B-K rollbar extension & fire extinguisher mount, hardtop
PaulE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2021, 06:23 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by solo118 View Post

The IMS Solution is permanent and has no service interval.

The IMS Retrofit is 6 years or 75,000 miles.
Home of Nickies, IMS Retrofit, and IMS Solution
cnavarro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2021, 07:14 AM   #7

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Farmlifer View Post
Hello Forum,

We know to get the best information SEARCH the forum for ALL available info on the subject of your choice,Then inquire if necessray!
Old 02-24-2021, 09:08 AM   #8

It's been said that the IMS Retrofit is good for well beyond 6 years. I would go by the mileage, and not the age of the bearing in this case. I believe LN put a timeframe on the product, rather than just indicating a mileage lifespan, for liability reasons. I'm no engineer, but I don't see how age can cause the bearing to deteriorate.

1985 Porsche Carrera Targa - Guards Red

1978 Porsche 911SC Euro Non-Sunroof - Grand Prix White
Seadweller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2021, 09:29 AM   #9

Seadweller beat me to the punch as I had the same thought. Why place a timeframe on a bearing. I can easily understand mileage as a guidepost but time is a little harder to understand their thought process. Can anyone elaborate?
Jgkram is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2021, 10:14 AM   #10
1997 Tip, 2018 Macan

Garage
I believe that the general understanding is the acidy nature of the oil will eventually pit the bearing races, if it just sits for long periods of time. Which I also understand is why low mileage garage queens are potentially 'more prone to failure.' If you run the engine regularly, it helps to burn off the moisture that accumulates in the oil. And slowly leaks/forces fresh oil into the bearing and past the 'seals' of the sealed bearing.

Looking forward to corrections for any mis-statements.

rexcramer is offline   Reply With Quote