Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-02-2021, 09:55 AM   #1

Garage
Hardtop install adjustment question

I installed a spin lock set on my 2001 S. The hardtop fits fine in front and the passenger side. The driver side latch however will not close, it goes 1/3 of the way and hits something hard. Do I have to adjust the bracket above the latch bold under the plastic cover? The passenger side latch closes smoothly. Drove the car, everything seems perfect, just want to be able to close the latch on the driver's side. Appreciate some input before I start adjusting the bracket. Thanks

Marksman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2021, 10:02 AM   #2

It has been a long time since I installed my spin locks. If I recall correctly, its possible to install them backwards. I recommend that you check that first. If you confirm that you installed it correctly, then start checking other possibilities.
Painted Bumperettes, 2004 (OEM) Top, Homelink integrated in dash with Targa switch, 997 Shifter, Carrera Gauge Cluster with silver gauge faces, heated 12-way driver & 8-way passenger seats, Litronics, silver console
KevinH1990 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2021, 10:11 AM   #3

Garage
Hardtop install adjustment

I agree, that thought crossed my mind. I have to remove the top to look a the spin locks again to make sure, but thought that I verified that when I installed the spin locks.
I just noticed that the bracket on the passenger side is positioned differently than the one on the driver side. Thanks
Old 01-02-2021, 01:12 PM   #4

Garage
Hardtop Install

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinH1990 View Post
It has been a long time since I installed my spin locks. If I recall correctly, its possible to install them backwards. I recommend that you check that first. If you confirm that you installed it correctly, then start checking other possibilities.
I re-checked the spin locks and they appear to be the same. If not let me know. Thanks
Old 01-02-2021, 01:49 PM   #5

I suggest that you compare your work to this photo on the Pelican web site: https://cdn4.pelicanparts.com/techarticles/Boxster_Tech/69-BODY-Hardtop_Installation/images_small/Pic2.jpg

If it is identical, then you may have another problem. For example, is it possible that you over-tightened the shoulder bolt that holds the insert in place? That might cause the shape to distort and make it difficult for the lock to turn.
Painted Bumperettes, 2004 (OEM) Top, Homelink integrated in dash with Targa switch, 997 Shifter, Carrera Gauge Cluster with silver gauge faces, heated 12-way driver & 8-way passenger seats, Litronics, silver console
KevinH1990 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2021, 02:03 PM   #6

Garage
Hardtop Install

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinH1990 View Post
I suggest that you compare your work to this photo on the Pelican web site: https://cdn4.pelicanparts.com/techarticles/Boxster_Tech/69-BODY-Hardtop_Installation/images_small/Pic2.jpg

If it is identical, then you may have another problem. For example, is it possible that you over-tightened the shoulder bolt that holds the insert in place? That might cause the shape to distort and make it difficult for the lock to turn.
The locks are in correctly, but I remember that the driver's side bolt did not go in as far as the passenger side one. I then tightened it with more effort and made it almost touch the outer panel skin. This maybe the problem. I guess I will have to open up the driver's side again and back the bolt out by an eighth to a quarter inch. Thanks for that tip.
Old 01-02-2021, 03:47 PM   #7

Garage
Hardtop Install

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marksman View Post
The locks are in correctly, but I remember that the driver's side bolt did not go in as far as the passenger side one. I then tightened it with more effort and made it almost touch the outer panel skin. This maybe the problem. I guess I will have to open up the driver's side again and back the bolt out by an eighth to a quarter inch. Thanks for that tip.
I removed the side panel and backed the bolt out a few turns. The clamp spread is now equal to the passenger side. Everything is back in place with the same result. The driver side lever only goes back only half way. It is all tight, I will just drive it for now. Is there anything else I can do (adjust the bracket?).

Last edited by Marksman; 01-02-2021 at 03:49 PM. Reason: Clarification
Old 01-02-2021, 05:55 PM   #8

There is a sort of screw spiral groove in the spinlock as I recall. The perpendicular pin through the attachment point of the hardtop rotates through it to pull the hardtop down as the lever is turned.
Backing off the tightening of the retaining screw may have allowed the upper part of the spinlock to expand but not the spiral groove or maybe all the way down into the spinlock. Maybe you can remove the spinlock and see if it can go onto the hardtop attachment point with the lever turning freely all the way? It's probably more work than you want to do, but that's all I've got. If you don't want to do that, maybe put a thin punch down into the spinlock and see if you can lever it to open up the spinlock a bit more, and/or some grease on the attachment point before putting it into the spinlock and see if that helps. I've been in the same boat having to do things a few times to get them right on some of my projects!
Former: 2003 S, 3.6 LN Nickies, ARP rod bolts, under-drive pulley, Fabspeed sport headers, Softronic tune, 987 airbox 987 motor mount, Function-First Sport motor mount insert, Ben's short shifter, Nine8Six projector headlights & center caps, ROW M030, stainless flexible brake lines, B-K rollbar extension & fire extinguisher mount, hardtop
PaulE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2021, 09:12 AM   #9

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulE View Post
There is a sort of screw spiral groove in the spinlock as I recall. The perpendicular pin through the attachment point of the hardtop rotates through it to pull the hardtop down as the lever is turned.
Backing off the tightening of the retaining screw may have allowed the upper part of the spinlock to expand but not the spiral groove or maybe all the way down into the spinlock. Maybe you can remove the spinlock and see if it can go onto the hardtop attachment point with the lever turning freely all the way? It's probably more work than you want to do, but that's all I've got. If you don't want to do that, maybe put a thin punch down into the spinlock and see if you can lever it to open up the spinlock a bit more, and/or some grease on the attachment point before putting it into the spinlock and see if that helps. I've been in the same boat having to do things a few times to get them right on some of my projects!
I agree, that would be the next thing to check, but I think I also need to try the latch bolt mechanism with the top off. I always assumed it was working fine but never verified. Just checked that too and the mechanism is fine. Well, the top is on solid. It does not make noise or shows gaps. I will just drive it for awhile until I am ready to take it all apart again.

Last edited by Marksman; 01-03-2021 at 09:28 AM. Reason: Correction