Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-28-2020, 06:45 AM   #1

Shift Knob Restoration

My shifter boot was dried up with a hole in it so I'm replacing it. Since I had it out I decided to repaint the silver plastic piece too. Ran to Walmart but the only silver colors they had were metallic. I'm thinking its too "sparkly" now that its done. I may need to find another color and redo it, especially since my interior door handles need to be redone too. Last pic is next to the stock one in my 914 (it has a Boxster shifter).

2001 Boxster, 2.7l
sharper410 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2020, 05:20 PM   #2

It doesn't look bad. Taking a cue from the forums, I used Testors model car spray paint for an Arctic Silver match when I did the center console of my 996. A couple of coats and no clear required. I'm happy with the look and so far, after about a year, it's holding up pretty well.
dghii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2020, 12:14 PM   #3

My Boxster's shift knob looked much like yours when I got it so refinishing it was one of my first projects. I didn't want to repaint the chipped plastic bit because I thought that rattle can spray would be even less durable than the OEM finish so instead removed all the original silver paint and polished the black plastic beneath. It came out pretty well I think...

If you do decide to paint, Testors #1830 "Diamond Dust" paint is a good but not perfect match to the Bosxter's "titanium" interior trim. I've used it on my car and like the result.

Even though my refinished knob was a big improvement I eventually replaced it with a walnut knob that I made, an even greater improvement in my opinion!

Cheers- dj

Old 12-31-2020, 07:44 AM   #4

I opted for plain Testors silver as it didn't have any metal flake in it. I don't notice any flake in the original finish or any other trim parts so I think it will match best.

2001 Boxster, 2.7l
sharper410 is offline   Reply With Quote