Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-22-2020, 04:13 PM   #1

Give me some project ideas for '99 Boxster

I bought this '99 Boxster in June, thinking it would be a fun pandemic project. I have named her Mrs. Peel, after the character in the 1960s TV show, "The Avengers." She was in pretty sad shape. I spent way more money than I had planned to, and have restored her to a nice condition and "like new" driving. I've done all the "must dos" and am down to cosmetic and optional projects. And that's where I need your ideas.

I'm sure this comes under the heading of "no car project is ever completed, it's only abandoned," but I'm now looking for both fun and practical things to do with Mrs. Peel. I've never done a car project before, and I have no technical knowledge. I have to hire someone to do most everything. And I'm at a loss, now.

As you can see by the photos, I've tried to keep her pretty stock in this restoration project (except for the stereo modernization), and I still want to keep her classic looks. The paint is original, and it's a "unicorn color" according to a recent PCA mag article. People either love it or hate it. (I love it.) So I don't want to change the car too much. I want to keep its classic look.

So give me some ideas. Now that she's had medical care, reparative surgery, and some spa time, this old gal needs some bling! Those of you who know what other people do with a 986, what do you think she should get next?

I

Last edited by 986Chick; 12-22-2020 at 04:39 PM.
986Chick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2020, 04:34 PM   #2

By the way, I'm open for both practical and fun ideas. For instance, on the practical side so far I've replaced the clutch, new CMS bearings, rebuilt the front and rear suspensions, replaced the coolant tank, front and rear brakes, seals and hoses replaced, new double-din stereo and nav unit with voice, touch screen and backup camera, upgraded speakers, installed drain covers, de-snorkled her, and replaced missing cosmetic things, like the badges on the wheels which had been stolen.

So while I want to pretty her up, I also need to know practical things others take care of.

Last edited by 986Chick; 12-22-2020 at 07:28 PM.
Old 12-22-2020, 04:51 PM   #3

Check out TTGator's thread: http://986forum.com/forums/boxster-general-discussions/79066-overview-all-my-mods.html The advantage of following in Aaron's footsteps is that he has posted videos of his work processes on YouTube.

At the risk of being immodest, you can check out one of my threads too: http://986forum.com/forums/boxster-general-discussions/55759-de-changed-some-interior-items.html

It seems like Aaron has made as many modifications to his car in two years as I have made in 14.

;
Painted Bumperettes, 2004 (OEM) Top, Homelink integrated in dash with Targa switch, 997 Shifter, Carrera Gauge Cluster with silver gauge faces, heated 12-way driver & 8-way passenger seats, Litronics, silver console
KevinH1990 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2020, 05:23 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinH1990 View Post
Check out TTGator's thread: http://986forum.com/forums/boxster-general-discussions/79066-overview-all-my-mods.html The advantage of following in Aaron's footsteps is that he has posted videos of his work processes on YouTube.

At the risk of being immodest, you can check out one of my threads too: http://986forum.com/forums/boxster-general-discussions/55759-de-changed-some-interior-items.html

It seems like Aaron has made as many modifications to his car in two years as I have made in 14.

;

Oh great, thank you. I will check both of those out.
Old 12-22-2020, 05:49 PM   #5

Definitely painted bumperettes! Made a huge difference on mine.

I also did clear side markers and a silver hood crest, though your orange markers match your headlights and your hood badge matches your centre caps. So up to you.

Would also recommend a short shifter of sorts. I put a 997 unit in mine.
boxxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2020, 01:41 AM   #6
1998 Boxster Silver/Red

Some recommendations:

The bumperettes. Gone.
Mesh for the roll bars.
Spacers so the wheels aren't hidden.
The search bar.
Old 12-23-2020, 04:51 AM   #7

Absolutely beautiful car and color! Count me in the "love it" crowd. Black interior looks great with the exterior color. Generally prefer the 3 spoke wheel but 4 spoke looks great in your car! Same wrt to deambering headlights / sidelights / tails - the yellow looks perfect with your exterior color.

The main mod I would suggest now - just drive and enjoy!

However, if you must...
1)Mount a Fischer Cup Holder (NOT "The Ultimate Cupholder," which is nicely made of stainless and super easy to "install" but is not as adaptable and looks like an afterthought) to the passenger (+/- driver side) center tunnel. It can be adequatwly secured by just mounting to the carpet backing or affixed to the underlying metal if you need it to survive a rollover. It is well made, widely adaptable for cup size, folds up to be inconspicuous and clear of all seat mechanicals, the plastic looks oem, in this location is easily reached but out of the way for drive/passenger, and by design the base in use forms a sort of drip tray to catch any sloshed drink off the carpet during spirited driving.
2)add the headrest screens to go along with the center screen, or for a classic look, go without all three and enjoy the breeze.
3) add an UDP for a slight increase in performance with virtually no down side
4) consider M030 suspension as a very livable, stock upgrade to handling
5) bumperette delete looks clean nice and european if you are willing for the expense / hassle
6) relocate frunk release cable if not already done. You will thank me one day.
7) Calif Car Cover to leave top down and interior cool but protected from UV / bird droppings / rain (what's that you ask)
8) exhaust & other mods subject to personal taste
9) titanium wheel lugs are $ but will save you cleaning / painting them over and over if you keep the car, are stronger than oem, look better, and won't rust on your alum wheels.
10) set up to change oil easily at home, so there is no cost or convenience barrier to doing it regularly, and so you get familiar with the underside of your car.
11) Durametric. A worthwhile investment if you are keeping it. You will be glad you bought it, later.
12)when your top needs replacing, possibly upgrade to a later (?S version) 3bow top, to keep the better shape and engine access and rear visibility of the 3bow plastic window top but with the nice quieter interior liner and +/- the newer mechanicals. My guess is your top stays down, though, given where you live. If you put it up aftet every drive, and down b4 every drive, or go places you need a rear defroster and worry about splitting the plastic window, then consider a 4bow '03/04 top
13) stopping at #12, b/c the slope is slippery

But mainly, just drive & enjoy!
BrokenLinkage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2020, 05:21 AM   #8

I have your cars twin, except I have the sport interior with sport seats, 3-spoke steering wheel and the gray graphite interior trim. Even the same wheels. Yeah, it's a polarizing color - love it or hate it. I love mine. I flew from Oklahoma to Phoenix AZ to buy mine from a crappy little car lot and road tripped home.

I'd find a set of clear headlights, clear side markers and then a set of solid red 550 SE taillights.
Wheel spacers - minimum 7mm front and 15mm rear.
Roll bar hoop mesh pieces.
I'd keep the black bumperettes - it's hard to find a complimentary color for Ocean Jade Metallic.
And if you really wanted to change things up - find all the pieces for a Generation 1 aerokit for the car.
Old 12-23-2020, 06:53 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrokenLinkage View Post
Absolutely beautiful car and color! Count me in the "love it" crowd. Black interior looks great with the exterior color. Generally prefer the 3 spoke wheel but 4 spoke looks great in your car! Same wrt to deambering headlights / sidelights / tails - the yellow looks perfect with your exterior color.

The main mod I would suggest now - just drive and enjoy!

However, if you must...
1)Mount a Fischer Cup Holder (NOT "The Ultimate Cupholder," which is nicely made of stainless and super easy to "install" but is not as adaptable and looks like an afterthought) to the passenger (+/- driver side) center tunnel. It can be adequatwly secured by just mounting to the carpet backing or affixed to the underlying metal if you need it to survive a rollover. It is well made, widely adaptable for cup size, folds up to be inconspicuous and clear of all seat mechanicals, the plastic looks oem, in this location is easily reached but out of the way for drive/passenger, and by design the base in use forms a sort of drip tray to catch any sloshed drink off the carpet during spirited driving.
2)add the headrest screens to go along with the center screen, or for a classic look, go without all three and enjoy the breeze.
3) add an UDP for a slight increase in performance with virtually no down side
4) consider M030 suspension as a very livable, stock upgrade to handling
5) bumperette delete looks clean nice and european if you are willing for the expense / hassle
6) relocate frunk release cable if not already done. You will thank me one day.
7) Calif Car Cover to leave top down and interior cool but protected from UV / bird droppings / rain (what's that you ask)
8) exhaust & other mods subject to personal taste
9) titanium wheel lugs are $ but will save you cleaning / painting them over and over if you keep the car, are stronger than oem, look better, and won't rust on your alum wheels.
10) set up to change oil easily at home, so there is no cost or convenience barrier to doing it regularly, and so you get familiar with the underside of your car.
11) Durametric. A worthwhile investment if you are keeping it. You will be glad you bought it, later.
12)when your top needs replacing, possibly upgrade to a later (?S version) 3bow top, to keep the better shape and engine access and rear visibility of the 3bow plastic window top but with the nice quieter interior liner and +/- the newer mechanicals. My guess is your top stays down, though, given where you live. If you put it up aftet every drive, and down b4 every drive, or go places you need a rear defroster and worry about splitting the plastic window, then consider a 4bow '03/04 top
13) stopping at #12, b/c the slope is slippery

But mainly, just drive & enjoy!
LOL. That's quite a list after "just drive & enjoy."

Wonderful suggestions. What is a UDP, listed in #4?

As for #12 I replaced the original top with a newer one with a glass window. I don't know what "3bow" means, so don't know if that's what I have.

And as for relocating the frunk release cable, why and where?
Old 12-23-2020, 07:11 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedTele58 View Post
I have your cars twin, except I have the sport interior with sport seats, 3-spoke steering wheel and the gray graphite interior trim. Even the same wheels. Yeah, it's a polarizing color - love it or hate it. I love mine. I flew from Oklahoma to Phoenix AZ to buy mine from a crappy little car lot and road tripped home.

I'd find a set of clear headlights, clear side markers and then a set of solid red 550 SE taillights.
Wheel spacers - minimum 7mm front and 15mm rear.
Roll bar hoop mesh pieces.
I'd keep the black bumperettes - it's hard to find a complimentary color for Ocean Jade Metallic.
And if you really wanted to change things up - find all the pieces for a Generation 1 aerokit for the car.
Wow, my twin! I've never seen another Box that color, anywhere. Sweet. I love Ocean Jade Metallic, and I get lots of compliments on the color. A recent PCA mag article called it a "unicorn color." I'm thrilled to discover you have it too.

I have the 8-way leather power seats. I don't know what the difference is between those and the sport seats, as I'm somewhat of a Boxster neophyte. But they fit my fat ass pretty well, so I'm happy with that.

Your wheels appear to be suffering from missing badges just like mine were up until my spouse bought me new ones for an early Christmas present. Now, as of yesterday, I have them. So I guess it's time to replace the lug nuts, now.

What is an aerokit? I'm not familiar.
Old 12-23-2020, 07:47 AM   #11

Your car looks great. If you want to update the look, paint the wheels gloss black. Black wheels with that color would look badass.
willw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2020, 09:59 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by 986Chick View Post
Wow, my twin! I've never seen another Box that color, anywhere. Sweet. I love Ocean Jade Metallic, and I get lots of compliments on the color. A recent PCA mag article called it a "unicorn color." I'm thrilled to discover you have it too.
Here's some real unicorns in the Ocean Jade Metallic world; a '99 996 w/ aerokit and a couple of year newer turbo 996.

The aerokit is a factory body kit to include side skirts, a different front bumper cover and a fixed rear spoiler. The spoiler on the top 996 is called a "taco spoiler" for obvious reasons.

Both of these two Boxsters below in my fleet are also '99's w/ factory aero. They also have the factory hard top.

For the difference between a comfort seat (yours) and the sport seat (mine) look at the difference in the seat back where your shoulders rest. The sport seat has "wings" that help cradle your upper body in place for more aggressive driving.

My center wheel caps are the plain version w/ the crest outlined in black. Yours are the optional colored crests.

Be careful! It's a slippery slope once you start performance mods and cosmetic upgrades. Your car looks like it has some nice options - the color was a $$$ upgrade, the wheels are upgrades, your 8-way seats and (I think) you have the optional heavier leather. Your aluminum-look shifter and e-brake are options, your white instrument panel is an option.

Another little touch you might want is the non-smoker tray that goes where your ashtray sits. It's about $90 and a 15 minute job with only a couple of screws and popping in and out your window switches.

If you really want to learn what your car has to offer, look for DE (Driver Education) track events that your local PCA Chapter should have. Once you're on the track with your Boxster, you'll open up a whole new world of fun.

Old 12-23-2020, 10:22 AM   #13

Too bad this forum software doesn't have a "like" button.
Old 12-23-2020, 02:11 PM   #14
On the slippery slope

Garage
Where in So Cal are you ?
2014 Porsche Performance Driving School
2020 BMW X3, 2013 Ram 1500, 2016 Cmax, 2004 F-150 "Big Red"
JayG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2020, 02:45 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedTele58 View Post
If you really want to learn what your car has to offer, look for DE (Driver Education) track events that your local PCA Chapter should have. Once you're on the track with your Boxster, you'll open up a whole new world of fun.
Absolutely agree. You'll have a blast and you can spend dollars on fun items like track pads and race alignments.

I daily peruse 3-4 Porsche websites and my mind sometimes fails me, but I'm pretty sure I remember seeing a 986 hardtop for sale in OJM on one of them. Caught my attn due to the rare color.
2008 Boxster S Limited Edition #005
2008 Cayman S Sport - Signal Green
1989 928 S4 5 spd - black
1987 928 S4 - Granite Green Metallic (Felsengrun)

Last edited by husker boxster; 12-23-2020 at 02:47 PM.
husker boxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2020, 02:54 PM   #16

When I am safe from COVID-19 I will definitely attend some DE track events. That sounds like a LOT of fun. And I'll try kinda hard not to crash my car into anything...
Old 12-23-2020, 09:20 PM   #17
Vza

Some upgrades I did and like are as follows:
Litronic headlights
996 Cluster Upgrade w aluminium guage rings
3 spoke steering wheel...way cooler than 4 spoke IMO
996 courtesy light
Mesh screens
Titanium lug bolts
Rear stereo speakers
Wrapped some interior trim w carbon fiber vinyl
Painted brake calipers red
Wheel spacers 7mm front 12mm rear
Top center console Storage cubby instead of CD holder
OBC hack
Added heated seats(I think you're in Cali though)
Short shifter
Dash w glove box....but I disliked my Grey dash
Have fun....track it.
Vza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2020, 12:49 AM   #18

If you have replaced the top already, don't worry about my #12. The 3 bow top is the earlier style up to 2002 which was more aerodynamic and had a sleeker profile. When the factory switched to a glass rear window in 2003, they added an extra bow to the top in an effort to preserve some engine access with the inflexible glass window. But if you have an aftermarket top added to your original top frame, you will still have the 3 bow frame.

As for UDP, it is an underdrive pulley, which decreases parasitic drag on the engine by decreasing the speed of the serpentine belt powering the accessories, and thus nets a slight increase in available horsepower for not much $ & work, at least compared to other mods for power. Perhaps more importantly, if you start using your car for events where you are sustaining high rpms, an UDP will significantly decrease the wear and tear on your power steering system.
BrokenLinkage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2020, 06:06 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by 986Chick View Post
When I am safe from COVID-19 I will definitely attend some DE track events. That sounds like a LOT of fun. And I'll try kinda hard not to crash my car into anything...
Sorry, forgot where you're located. Hopefully we're almost done with the nightmare by springtime. But DEing is said to be the most fun you can legally have with your clothes on. If you listen and follow the directions of your instructors in your car and in the classroom, you should be safe. The habits they teach you will keep you safe as you move up assigned run groups as your experience progresses. PCA's main goal is the safety of EVERYONE and they are the paramount of organizations hosting events. Knuckleheads are not tolerated and will be swiftly dealt with - knock it off or go home!

A couple of quick track stories...

This yr our club (Great Plains Region) had to cancel 1 event but did hold 2 DEs. We took daily temps, required masks & social distancing, and offered full refunds if someone felt the slightest bit ill. Our first event was in June and was the first event of the yr hosted by any club at our local track. Non-Porsche demand to attend was high. Normally our events are 25-30 cars but this one had 45-50. I'm the registrar for our club and Sat afternoon I polled our club members to see how the non-members were doing. All said the new folks were behaving themselves. I then talked to the Mustang & Corvette drivers, asking them if they were having fun. All said they were impressed with how well our event was run. Win-win, but wouldn't be possible unless safety was stressed and enforced. Most of the non-members came back for our Oct event.

The run group I'm assigned to at Indy allows people to pass with a point by in any of the 14 corners except Turn 1 & 7. The passing rules are stressed in the morning's driver's mtg. During the 1st session of the 1st day (right after the driver's mtg), I was tooling down the main straight headed for T1. As I'm entering the brake zone and downshifting from 5-4-3, I see a black BMW coming quickly to the inside of me. He's NOT supposed to be there, 1st because I didn't give him a point by and 2nd because we're not supposed to pass in T1. I took the corner wide and gave him room to the inside and we both made it thru unscathed. You're taught to keep an eye on your mirrors and that's what saved both of us. Had I not looked in the mirror and turned into the apex of the corner, we would have collided. I had a talk to the organizers after the session and they tracked down the BMW driver and impressed on him not to do that again. Things can happen out on the track, but your training should allow YOU to avoid many of the dangers that can arise.
2008 Boxster S Limited Edition #005
2008 Cayman S Sport - Signal Green
1989 928 S4 5 spd - black
1987 928 S4 - Granite Green Metallic (Felsengrun)
husker boxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2020, 11:53 AM   #20

Can anyone identify these rims for me?