Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-20-2020, 11:01 AM   #1

Overview of all my mods

I just made a video highlighting all the mods and maintenance I've done to my Boxster over my first two years of ownership... and I have a separate DIY video for every item. When I rattle them all off at once even I'm amazed at how much I've done to this little car in such a short time!

https://youtu.be/jHtB3hUO5Tg

2015 Ninja 300
TTGator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2020, 01:48 PM   #2

Great video! You have made quite a few mods and I've enjoyed your videos. The car is really coming along. :-) Pretty soon, you'll need the 101 More Mods book.

Driving this car makes me wish I lived farther away from work!
Troy.Boxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2020, 02:06 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Troy.Boxster View Post
Great video! You have made quite a few mods and I've enjoyed your videos. The car is really coming along. :-) Pretty soon, you'll need the 101 More Mods book.
Haha thanks!
2015 Ninja 300
Old 11-21-2020, 04:25 AM   #4

I enjoyed the video. You've done more in two years than I have in 14 years of ownership. It's interesting how you took a different approach to some of the same "shortcomings" of the 986. For example, I also did a seat upgrade, but I used seats from a 996 Turbo and added full power, heat and memory. I used a 6-channel amp from a 996 cabriolet and you installed an aftermarket amp. (If I had to do it over again, I think I would have used an aftermarket amp too.)

Have you considered adding litronic headlights and a 2003 or 2004 top and frame? Those are two of my favorite upgrades.

I don't have a video, but here' a link to the upgrades I've made: De-and Changed Some Interior Items
Painted Bumperettes, 2004 (OEM) Top, Homelink integrated in dash with Targa switch, 997 Shifter, Carrera Gauge Cluster with silver gauge faces, heated 12-way driver & 8-way passenger seats, Litronics, silver console
KevinH1990 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2020, 06:23 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinH1990 View Post
I enjoyed the video. You've done more in two years than I have in 14 years of ownership. It's interesting how you took a different approach to some of the same "shortcomings" of the 986. For example, I also did a seat upgrade, but I used seats from a 996 Turbo and added full power, heat and memory. I used a 6-channel amp from a 996 cabriolet and you installed an aftermarket amp. (If I had to do it over again, I think I would have used an aftermarket amp too.)

Have you considered adding litronic headlights and a 2003 or 2004 top and frame? Those are two of my favorite upgrades.

I don't have a video, but here' a link to the upgrades I've made: De-and Changed Some Interior Items
Thank you! I may do something with the headlights soon, I haven't decided for sure yet. But about the heated seats... I'd love to discuss in detail with you what you did. PM me your contact info if you're willing.
2015 Ninja 300
Old 11-23-2020, 03:30 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by TTGator View Post
But about the heated seats... I'd love to discuss in detail with you what you did. PM me your contact info if you're willing.
Here's a link to the instructions I used: Dennis Vogel: Projects - Boxster Heated Seats

My favorite line in the detailed instructions is in the wiring section at the point where it is time to test your wiring. Dennis wrote, "Listen, look, and smell. If things seem out of sorts (popping sounds, smoke or sparks, burning smell), turn off the ignition and disconnect the battery immediately."

In the 986/996's the seat heater switches control relays on the seat bottoms that in turn control the amount of heat the seats generate. There may be some differences in your seats because they came from a newer generation car.

You may also find this link useful: https://www.boxa.net/forum/topic/84441-986-heated-seat-retrofit-how-to-video/?tab=comments#comment-1171362 (You may need to register on Boxa.net - a U.K. Boxster site for this link to work.)

If your seats don't already have heating pads in them, I think you could use aftermarket seat heater pads and emulate the OEM control system.

I'll send you a PM with my contact information if you want to discuss it. Good luck.
Painted Bumperettes, 2004 (OEM) Top, Homelink integrated in dash with Targa switch, 997 Shifter, Carrera Gauge Cluster with silver gauge faces, heated 12-way driver & 8-way passenger seats, Litronics, silver console
Old 11-23-2020, 03:36 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinH1990 View Post
Here's a link to the instructions I used: Dennis Vogel: Projects - Boxster Heated Seats

My favorite line in the detailed instructions is in the wiring section at the point where it is time to test your wiring. Dennis wrote, "Listen, look, and smell. If things seem out of sorts (popping sounds, smoke or sparks, burning smell), turn off the ignition and disconnect the battery immediately."

In the 986/996's the seat heater switches control relays on the seat bottoms that in turn control the amount of heat the seats generate. There may be some differences in your seats because they came from a newer generation car.

You may also find this link useful: https://www.boxa.net/forum/topic/84441-986-heated-seat-retrofit-how-to-video/?tab=comments#comment-1171362 (You may need to register on Boxa.net - a U.K. Boxster site for this link to work.)

If your seats don't already have heating pads in them, I think you could use aftermarket seat heater pads and emulate the OEM control system.

I'll send you a PM with my contact information if you want to discuss it. Good luck.
Yes, I've had that page bookmarked for over a year and I just get intimidated every time I go back to it. Haha
2015 Ninja 300
Old 11-23-2020, 03:45 PM   #8

I felt the same way. It is a bit daunting especially since you end up removing a fairly significant portion of the interior. Based on the mods you've done, I expect your skill level is higher than mine so you should be able to pull it off.
Old 11-24-2020, 01:32 PM   #9

There is some discussion of activating the seat heaters here: https://www.pelicanparts.com/techarticles/box_997_seats/box_997_seats.htm
Old 11-24-2020, 05:29 PM   #10

According to this thread: https://rennlist.com/forums/993-forum/623800-996-997-heated-seat-connectors.html the 987/997 seat heaters work differently than the 986/996 seat heaters in that they don't use a relay. (See the 9th post in the thread. That post also states that a red wire with purple stripe provides the power to the seat heaters.)

You MAY be able to use the OEM 986 switches to control the heating elements in your seats. I'll take a look at Dennis Vogel's instructions and see whether I can puzzle out how to adjust for the differences in the operation of the two systems.