Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-02-2020, 11:59 AM   #1

Mystery strap

I have 5 different DIY pages open to put my new top on my 99. None show or discuss the strap in the attached picture. Could someone help and tell me what it goes around and attached to?
PLEASE HELP!!!

Old 12-02-2020, 01:34 PM   #2
Artist, 986S tinkerer

Is it not the holding strap used when you put the top on service position? If so, it doesn't attach to anything until you need it.
YouTube channel: the PORSCHE as seen by NewArt
www.youtube.com/channel/UCohdrH2xHTklM1thxk0KKOQ?
NewArt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2020, 03:44 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewArt View Post
Is it not the holding strap used when you put the top on service position? If so, it doesn't attach to anything until you need it.
I was under the impression that strap is only on the 2003 and 2004 cars with glass rear windows and 4 bows?
Former: 2003 S, 3.6 LN Nickies, ARP rod bolts, under-drive pulley, Fabspeed sport headers, Softronic tune, 987 airbox 987 motor mount, Function-First Sport motor mount insert, Ben's short shifter, Nine8Six projector headlights & center caps, ROW M030, stainless flexible brake lines, B-K rollbar extension & fire extinguisher mount, hardtop
PaulE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2020, 05:04 PM   #4
Artist, 986S tinkerer

Usually because it’s fallen off of the older ones!
No, my 2001 had one. Totally rotted out mind you.
YouTube channel: the PORSCHE as seen by NewArt
www.youtube.com/channel/UCohdrH2xHTklM1thxk0KKOQ?
NewArt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2020, 05:57 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewArt View Post
Usually because it’s fallen off of the older ones!
No, my 2001 had one. Totally rotted out mind you.
Ahh. When I asked what it was on my 2003, some other guys with older cars said their cars didn't have it!
Former: 2003 S, 3.6 LN Nickies, ARP rod bolts, under-drive pulley, Fabspeed sport headers, Softronic tune, 987 airbox 987 motor mount, Function-First Sport motor mount insert, Ben's short shifter, Nine8Six projector headlights & center caps, ROW M030, stainless flexible brake lines, B-K rollbar extension & fire extinguisher mount, hardtop
PaulE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2020, 02:09 AM   #6

What I gather from the responses; this strap is not necessary when replacing a top with a plastic window? True or false?
Old 12-03-2020, 04:33 AM   #7
Multi-Boxer Driver

Garage
Looks like it’s one of the straps that attaches to the upper roof frame (photo courtesy Mike Focke):
Attached Images

2017 Subaru Outback 3.6R
Deserion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2020, 04:51 AM   #8

I find my strap very useful It is attached to the bottom of the last rear bow. When my top is in the service position it holds the rear bow and thus the entire roof forward out of the way of engine access. The other end of the strap is routed forward and the loop goes around a protrusion on the front bow. Same protrusion that helps align the front bow to the windshield. The velcro on the strap is for holding the strap along the rear bow when the strap is not being used. Hope this helps.
obthomas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2020, 05:13 AM   #9
Motorist & Coffee Drinker

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deserion View Post
Looks like it’s one of the straps that attaches to the upper roof frame (photo courtesy Mike Focke):
There are a few straps visible in flouese's picture, but I think you are correct. It is not the strap that holds the top in the service position, but a strap that is supposed to be riveted to the arches for support. There's one on each side.
Here are a couple pics from the Pelican Parts DIY article "Additional Pics"

Old 12-03-2020, 05:24 AM   #10

Just finished putting my new top on and I agree that there should be two of these straps, one on each side. One end riveted to the top bow and one to the bottom. They were not involved at all with removing the old top or reattaching the new top. The only thing I could figure out was that they added some support to the canvas top to help hold it's shape a little better.
Jgkram is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2020, 02:40 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by 78F350 View Post
There are a few straps visible in flouese's picture, but I think you are correct. It is not the strap that holds the top in the service position, but a strap that is supposed to be riveted to the arches for support. There's one on each side.
Here are a couple pics from the Pelican Parts DIY article "Additional Pics"

I had the additional pictures open and failed to see the last pic which showed where it connected to. The PO had these tucked away somewhere and found them when I removed the top. The bad news is the top side aluminum pieces are already glued, taped and screwed in. Wil check to see if I can reattach the straps without having to do too much re-work. Thanks for the assist. I can always count on this forum to help me through a problem.