Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-02-2020, 11:28 AM   #21

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by tonythetiger View Post
most shops won't sew a new window in for a price that makes more sense than replacing the top. Autotopsdirect sells the best tops, Ive compared several and they are FAR superior. You can install the top yourself or find someone competent to do it for you, with the autotops acoustic top. Its nice.

my advice on installation is start at the front with the aluminum bolsters and gluing to the front bow because pulling the new top into the rear channel is much easier and you dont have glue to work around and with. Its easy to get glue on the top during this step and this can be a real mess.
The videos show installing the back first and that makes it harder to get the front pulled, etc.

Another comment is the glass back...at first seems like a good idea, right? If you access the engine to do any work go with the plastic because the top gets completely out of the way. If this isn't a concern, then the glass back is nice except for rear visibility. The glass back is definitely a hurdle if you are back there for things like the AOS, waterpump, cleaning etc.
Thanks for the useful info, I`ll keep these in mind.

Homeoboxter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2020, 11:30 AM   #22

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by elgyqc View Post
I replaced the window on my car. Instead of removing the original stitches I cut out the old window leaving about 1 inch of plastic all the way around then attached the new plastic to that. You might be able to glue it on (that didn't work for me). I ended up using pop rivets and stitching. I then covered the stitching with foam insulation tape. I put lots of caulking between the 2 plastic layers and then over the stitches. If you are interested I can give more details on how I did it (and how I would do it differently if I were to start over). I wish I had pulled the plastic tighter because there are a lot of ripples, but it is a big improvement and cost about $60.

See post #8 or this thread
https://rennlist.com/forums/boxster-and-boxster-s-986-forum/1099769-getting-the-maintenance-up-to-date-on-my-new-2000-boxster.html
Thanks. I`ll look into this option perhaps next weekend and reach out to you if I go down that road. What kind of glue did you use btw?
Homeoboxter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2020, 12:19 PM   #23

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by tonythetiger View Post
most shops won't sew a new window in for a price that makes more sense than replacing the top. Autotopsdirect sells the best tops, Ive compared several and they are FAR superior. You can install the top yourself or find someone competent to do it for you, with the autotops acoustic top. Its nice.

my advice on installation is start at the front with the aluminum bolsters and gluing to the front bow because pulling the new top into the rear channel is much easier and you dont have glue to work around and with. Its easy to get glue on the top during this step and this can be a real mess.
The videos show installing the back first and that makes it harder to get the front pulled, etc.

Another comment is the glass back...at first seems like a good idea, right? If you access the engine to do any work go with the plastic because the top gets completely out of the way. If this isn't a concern, then the glass back is nice except for rear visibility. The glass back is definitely a hurdle if you are back there for things like the AOS, waterpump, cleaning etc.
Do you currently have the glass window? Curious to see pics of how it looks in service mode
Goldenzrule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2020, 07:24 PM   #24

My glass slides right up over the top of the roll bars. I take 2 trucker straps and hold the top and frame up out of the way. If anything I have more room than I did with the old plastic top.
MrBen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2020, 04:33 AM   #25
Custom User Title Here

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBen View Post
If anything I have more room than I did with the old plastic top.
Suuuuuure, buddy!
Old 12-07-2020, 06:46 AM   #26

I'd like to see a photo of that too MrBen. Not doubting your word but I don't see how you can get the glass to slide over your roll bars. That's worthy of a David Copperfield act!
Jgkram is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2020, 03:54 PM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBen View Post
My glass slides right up over the top of the roll bars. I take 2 trucker straps and hold the top and frame up out of the way. If anything I have more room than I did with the old plastic top.
Back on my old boxster I had a glass rear window. Yeah, I got it over the roll bars, but every time I did it made me cringe a little. It didn't feel right man handling it like that.

WTB: any cheap 986 shifter new or used
Qingdao is offline   Reply With Quote