Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-29-2020, 10:50 AM   #1

Help with new Conti radio

I bought a new Continental head unit (CD7416UB-OR) to replace my CDR220. I wanted just a plug and play and thought this would work (car is '02S).

Two problems: 1. Once the new radio is plugged in it powers on fine, but no sound. I'm wondering if my car has the M490 amp. It isn't directly listed on my options, but I do have option P63 (sport package) which Pedro says includes M490. So probably I need the ISO audio/power harness? If anyone can confirm that would be great.

2. The new head unit will not insert all the way into the dash. *&^@%#!#%* Although it seems to be, if anything, very slightly smaller than the CDR unit, it goes in about 3" and is getting hung up somewhere. Anyone have any ideas?

Thank you,
Stephen

Allegro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2020, 12:45 PM   #2

Well to see if you have the amp just look in the frunk behind the spare tire.
Old 10-29-2020, 01:52 PM   #3

I got the Continental TR7412UB-OR from Bergvill F/X with the 996/Boxster M490 harness and it plugged right in and worked fine. I have the M490 option. I also bypassed my little in-dash stereo processor and removed it from the center console. Stereo works much better than stock and I can use the phone integration just fine without the external mike.

Inserting mine in the dash was a little tight and I had to file the metal surround a little. Also removed the alarm wire that plugged into the left side. I did have to put a small piece of adhesive backed rubber underneath to support it because mine seemed to sag just slightly without anything in the back to support it. Looks factory fresh when done.

Dave
dsallean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2020, 07:49 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Allegro View Post
I bought a new Continental head unit (CD7416UB-OR) to replace my CDR220. I wanted just a plug and play and thought this would work (car is '02S).

Two problems: 1. Once the new radio is plugged in it powers on fine, but no sound. I'm wondering if my car has the M490 amp. It isn't directly listed on my options, but I do have option P63 (sport package) which Pedro says includes M490. So probably I need the ISO audio/power harness? If anyone can confirm that would be great.

2. The new head unit will not insert all the way into the dash. *&^@%#!#%* Although it seems to be, if anything, very slightly smaller than the CDR unit, it goes in about 3" and is getting hung up somewhere. Anyone have any ideas?

Thank you,
Stephen
1. Check to see if your amp gets power when the radio is powered up.
2. The radio will fit fine. Just need to see if the wiring is getting in the way. There is nothing else back there!
dghii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2020, 05:48 AM   #5

Thanks all. Yes, the amp is there (I didn't know if that was on all Boxsters or not) so M490. Glad to hear that it may be just a bit of fiddling to get it to fit. Now just have to wait for the harness to arrive.
Allegro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2021, 05:26 PM   #6

I just got this radio too. Looks and sounds great. Bergville sells a tiny little Porsche sticker that goes over "Continental," making it really look factory.

Last edited by Stevenson927; 07-10-2021 at 06:03 PM.
Stevenson927 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2021, 09:22 AM   #7

I've got a Conti radio myself as well which has been great for streaming music via Spotify etc.

My only gripe is every time after I shut the car off and fire it back up again, I have to re-select A2DP to connect to the phone. Does this happen to you folks as well? I can't get it to automatically stay on Bluetooth by default. It always starts up on FM radio.
Old 07-25-2021, 05:48 PM   #8

I have one in my boxster - don’t have any problems getting it to stick with Bluetooth on startup. There are some deep options in the radio you can set - I think I turned off the beep on navigate option on one of the buttons. Maybe there is something in there for the default source…

And agreed they’re great…

Tortuga is offline   Reply With Quote