Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-07-2020, 07:27 AM   #1

Smoking Gauge Cluster - 2001 Base

My gauge cluster sent up smoke signals the other day. It only happened when I turned on the exterior lighting. The dash lights flickered and then went dark. The smoke then appeared along with the smell. I thought I had an issue with the cluster ... boy was I wrong. I took the cluster apart, checked the ribbons and dial lights. All appeared normal. I put it back together and had the same result.

I started looking elsewhere, check the grounds and that the fuse connections were good. I then looked at the ashtray light and noticed it was out. I thought it might be the bulb and tried to remove it. I broke it, so decided to remove the window switch/ashtray assembly and that's when I found my problem. It ended up being an issue in the center console. A mouse had gotten into the car over the winter when it was in storage. It left a nest in the center console and had chewed the insulation off the ashtray light wires causing a short. The problem manifested in the dashboard / gauge cluster.

I had searched the forum and not really found an answer. I thought I'd post this so anyone unfortunate enough to have this happen might find my solution a help one day or at least give them something to inspect.

And416 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2020, 11:55 AM   #2
1998 Boxster Silver/Red

Glad to hear you sorted it out before it became a huge tragedy.

Do you store your car with the top down? Did you discover the rodent entry point?
Old 10-08-2020, 09:18 AM   #3

I store the car with the top up and a cover over it.

I think they got in through the rear compartment right above the center tunnel. I found another nest in the back trunk under the lining. I need to figure out something to keep them out over the next few weeks as the car is going back into storage in Nov.
Old 10-08-2020, 10:38 AM   #4

Old 10-08-2020, 01:05 PM   #5

Very appropriate !