Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-01-2020, 10:18 AM   #1

Convertible Top Service Position

I had my boxster returned from service. Before, convertible top worked perfectly. First time and same day out of the shop, I used it and top light went on. Put it back up with funny sounds and wouldn't work anymore. Took it back to shop and mechanic said transmissions and cables needed replacement. Any thoughts?

easiestrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2020, 10:41 AM   #2
1998 Boxster Silver/Red

Quote:
Originally Posted by easiestrider View Post
I had my boxster returned from service. Before, convertible top worked perfectly. First time and same day out of the shop, I used it and top light went on. Put it back up with funny sounds and wouldn't work anymore. Took it back to shop and mechanic said transmissions and cables needed replacement. Any thoughts?
So... just like that... you need new cables and transmissions. Interesting how it went in fine... came out bad. Happens... but we know our cars. Cables? OK... maybe. And transmissions? Hmmm.

Can you share how much you spent on having your car serviced... and what were the service items? Did you phone them with your concern... or was it a return on-site visit? How about some of the dialogue... the back and forth when you brought it to your attention? You can PM me. Maybe I can help.
Old 10-04-2020, 09:29 AM   #3

Ok sorry if this is obvious, but...

For many basic engine services on the boxster, the mechanic has to put the top into the service position.

To get even better access, the mechanic may also choose to disconnect the rear arms holding the top in place. This lets the mechanic get the top even more up and out of the way.

The latter is what can cause the top mechanism to bind, which can then break things. He can mess up all kind of stuff when doing this - he can get the top off track, he can break the pivots built into the top, he can forget to reinstall clips, he can force the top back down when it isn't sitting true, etc. All of this can cause the top to bind the next time either he or you tries to move it. Then havoc ensues.

So I would guess that what happened is he disconnected and reconnected the top arms, got them out of alignment which caused the mechanism to bind up, which would then cause the top transmission to shear off its gears. I think it's unlikely that a cable would also break.

My opinion is that you brought the top into the mechanic with a working top, he messed with the top to service your motor, and then he broke it while doing so. He should be responsible for fixing it or paying for it to get fixed. It's not to hard for him or you or a third party to diagnose the problem.
ddruker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2020, 02:15 PM   #4
Will there be cake?

Garage
Cables shearing is more likely than transmission gears shredding, the pivot arms break before that happens.
The system is simple. Motor drives cables to transmission, (they are like old school speedometer cables) planetary gears rotate a boomerang that lifts top and articulates clamshell. It’s SIMPLE. Look it over, take some photos. I’ve fixed several with every problem in the book. Glad to share an opinion, but look at it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
tonythetiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2020, 03:53 PM   #5
Artist, 986S tinkerer

In the top drive transmissions are two plastic gears. These tend to break with age. I have replaced these gears (found on the internet) without replacing the whole transmissions. This MAY be your problem.

YouTube channel: the PORSCHE as seen by NewArt
www.youtube.com/channel/UCohdrH2xHTklM1thxk0KKOQ?
NewArt is offline   Reply With Quote