Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-23-2020, 06:35 AM   #1

No cable

Well. I’ve taken off both rear wheels, wheel liners , and most of the rear bumper. My car has no emergency cable. I’ve spent days crawling around with a flashlight and wire hooks. I guess I’m gonna be cutting a big hole in my trunk Lid now. Apparently there’s quite a few for sale. I’ll try out my rusty welding skills to patch it up otherwise just replace. This has sucked...

Idlegrip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2020, 07:09 AM   #2
1998 Boxster Silver/Red

Quote:
Originally Posted by Idlegrip View Post
Well. I’ve taken off both rear wheels, wheel liners , and most of the rear bumper. My car has no emergency cable. I’ve spent days crawling around with a flashlight and wire hooks. I guess I’m gonna be cutting a big hole in my trunk Lid now. Apparently there’s quite a few for sale. I’ll try out my rusty welding skills to patch it up otherwise just replace. This has sucked...
Bummer. No cable? Surely you followed the rear latch backwards for that cable?

Is there any way you can poke a tool up there to push on the latch?

What year car? If it's by cable and not electronic... have you taken apart the mechanism next to the drivers seat... and yanked on the cable? May it became disconnected fron the mechanism.

If it's electronic have you tried the wire-in-the-fusebox remedy? That usually pops it right open.

Good luck.
Old 09-23-2020, 02:34 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Starter986 View Post
Bummer. No cable? Surely you followed the rear latch backwards for that cable?

Is there any way you can poke a tool up there to push on the latch?

What year car? If it's by cable and not electronic... have you taken apart the mechanism next to the drivers seat... and yanked on the cable? May it became disconnected fron the mechanism.

If it's electronic have you tried the wire-in-the-fusebox remedy? That usually pops it right open.

Good luck.
The actuators haven’t worked in years and the cable is slack aft of the drivers door. I can pull a few inches of it. It’s disconnected
Old 09-23-2020, 03:32 PM   #4
1998 Boxster Silver/Red

Quote:
The actuators haven’t worked in years and the cable is slack aft of the drivers door. I can pull a few inches of it. It’s disconnected
Before you go breaking out the torch maybe phone a Porsche indi... let them have a go at it.
Old 09-23-2020, 06:56 PM   #5
Who's askin'?

Slim jim time.
Not an actual jim, but the same idea.
Study an image of how that latch works, bend a piece of steel strap to slide in there and push the lever.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk
maytag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2020, 07:21 PM   #6

Roll your spoiler up and take it off.

With the spoiler out of the way drill a hole about half an inch below the top of the fold in the steel trunk. About 2 inches to the left of the center of the deck lid. You should then be able to get a hook in and pull the lever to the left and release the trunk.

^^^ do all this at your own risk.

BUT if you do go this route you can always use your "rusty welding skills" or just a piece of tape to cover the hole as apposed to painting an entire deck lid.

WTB: any cheap 986 shifter new or used
Qingdao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2020, 07:37 PM   #7

This is my rear hatch (the P.O. busted the deck lid up trying to get in there). He rednecked up the wire pretty badly so this is my safety system. There is a ziptie that hides near the spoiler.

Anywho this is where you need to poke a hole.

^^^This is the outside of the car right in front of the spoiler. I didn't take my spoiler off because I'm lazy. BUT you'll have no issues getting to the area where you'll need to poke through if you take the spoiler off.

^^^ these are some pics of the mechanism. As you can see you'll just need to hook the latch and pull it to the left side of the car. If you can follow the zip tie thats the line you'll need to take. Its a snakey line but I think you can do it.

Old 09-24-2020, 08:26 AM   #8
Will there be cake?

Garage
Quote:
year? Is it pre-2001?
tonythetiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2020, 06:03 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonythetiger View Post
year? Is it pre-2001?
It’s a 2000 but they are all supposed to have the cable
Old 09-26-2020, 06:07 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Starter986 View Post
Before you go breaking out the torch maybe phone a Porsche indi... let them have a go at it.
Used lids are less than $200, I think this is what they’d do. Seems simplest. Just kinda dramatic...
Old 09-26-2020, 02:19 PM   #11
Will there be cake?

Garage
Quote:
It’s a 2000 but they are all supposed to have the cable
right, but the side release in the driver's door well is a cable also, 2001, and after used electronic switch, me thinks.
tonythetiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2020, 04:17 PM   #12

Quote:
Used lids are less than $200, I think this is what they’d do. Seems simplest. Just kinda dramatic...
Yeah, but then paint matching.... and if you get it re-painted to the factory color its still gonna be off next to the other panels.

Another option is to go through the hole where the wires for the engine protrude into the back of the trunk. You could then get a long pry bar in there and jam that lever.

Old 09-27-2020, 10:01 AM   #13

Thanks for all the ideas. I still think sacrificing the trunk lid is a sure way in. Drilling thru the rear I “might” be able to fish a hook in place but it sounds mindnumbingly unlikely. Not to mention, doing other damage to the trunk interior, carpet and latch and various plastic parts. Besides all that, the spoiler isn’t functioning so I can’t get the bumper cover out of the way... ughh