Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-22-2020, 08:35 AM   #1

Convertible top motion not smooth

So ever since I've had this car the top seems to struggle going up. It looks like its struggles to lift the weight of the top as most of the struggle seems to happen in the first half of the motion.

I was wondering if anyone could give their insight into this, I've looked around and while I've found some stuff on it, definitely could use more.

A_NeonTurtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2020, 12:53 PM   #2

Garage
Check that both of the arms are connected. Their location is hard to describe. But they under they are behind and below the roll bar, At the front of the mechanism that raises the top. One per side.
Old 09-22-2020, 04:55 PM   #3

The top drive system on the the Boxster is elegantly simple. One small electric motor drives to cables (think old bicycle speedometer cables) that are connected to a gear set on each side (top transmissions).
Start with easy stuff...get some lithium grease and grease the tracks and pivot points. If no improvement. Look at transmissions as they have plastic gears and my have lost a tooth or two. Easy DYI. You can get used parts and save a few $$ if needed.
dghii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2020, 05:54 PM   #4
Will there be cake?

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by dghii View Post
The top drive system on the the Boxster is elegantly simple. One small electric motor drives to cables (think old bicycle speedometer cables) that are connected to a gear set on each side (top transmissions).
Start with easy stuff...get some lithium grease and grease the tracks and pivot points. If no improvement. Look at transmissions as they have plastic gears and my have lost a tooth or two. Easy DYI. You can get used parts and save a few $$ if needed.
yes...grease. if you inspect the transmissions, drivers side has a microswitch in it, make sure you keep the timing right or your fixing the sync.
eBay is the place to get gears for a reasonable price, (40 bucks, so not reasonable) they seem OK but check the feedback. Some folks making them aren't doing a good job, judging from reviews.
I would skip getting used ones as the issue is old plastic getting brittle, so why buy old plastic?

tonythetiger is offline   Reply With Quote