Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-06-2020, 10:44 AM   #1

Recommendations for diagnostic tool

Looking for recommendations for a diagnosis tool. I have cheap a 'foseal wireless odb2 reader'. But I'm sure there are better more useful options available. Thanks!

DTW986 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2020, 12:50 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by DTW986 View Post
Looking for recommendations for a diagnosis tool. I have cheap a 'foseal wireless odb2 reader'. But I'm sure there are better more useful options available. Thanks!
If you mean a OBDII scanner.
Then Durametric or Foxwell 520-530 series
Both give you OBDII scanning capabilities with live data readout and some graphing capabilites. I think you can do some limited programing with both but not positive.

To me A diagnostic tool is something like a Pico or Snapon Solus or Modus.
They are basic Ocilliscopes which is a little different animal then an OBDII scanner.
With lots more diagnostic capabilites.
blue62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2020, 07:56 PM   #3

I have been using icarscan and works great.

Sent from my HD1907 using Tapatalk
rflores2323 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2020, 08:51 AM   #4
Who's askin'?

The durametric is sort of the "go-to" for the Porsche. At $350-ish, it's not your cheap tool, but the functionality is essential for most of us.

I have another tool which I bought for another brand, which seems to do everything the durametric does..... at twice the cost. :-)

Go with the durametric.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk
maytag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2020, 08:56 AM   #5

So the icarscan works on almost any car manufacturer. You have to pick three manufacturers for free but can pay for an upgrade if you have more manufacturers that you need. So I use this on my Porsches, Audi, and Kia. Also you can use on as many models as you want so you are not restricted to a certain amount of VIN's.

The durametric you also need a laptop and the icarscan works with an app on your phone so that's an advantage.

https://m.obd2tool.com/goods-10333-NEW-LAUNCH-iCarScan-Full-Systems-Diagnosis-Powerful-than-easydiag.html?gclid=CjwKCAjwtNf6BRAwEiwAkt6UQgtmCa NnakFqpNl0znHZdCE-rECCA7TsCdwqj03SXeyYmrovjSHnFhoCeJAQAvD_BwE

Old 09-07-2020, 11:43 AM   #6
Who's askin'?

Quote:
Originally Posted by rflores2323 View Post
So the icarscan works on almost any car manufacturer. You have to pick three manufacturers for free but can pay for an upgrade if you have more manufacturers that you need. So I use this on my Porsches, Audi, and Kia. Also you can use on as many models as you want so you are not restricted to a certain amount of VIN's.

The durametric you also need a laptop and the icarscan works with an app on your phone so that's an advantage.

https://m.obd2tool.com/goods-10333-NEW-LAUNCH-iCarScan-Full-Systems-Diagnosis-Powerful-than-easydiag.html?gclid=CjwKCAjwtNf6BRAwEiwAkt6UQgtmCa NnakFqpNl0znHZdCE-rECCA7TsCdwqj03SXeyYmrovjSHnFhoCeJAQAvD_BwE

I'm not familiar With the icarscan, will it read things like cam deviation? MAF? O2 sensor voltages? Fuel trims? Etc? How about initializing accessories? (Fans, a/c clutch, etc)

maytag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2020, 07:19 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by maytag View Post
I'm not familiar With the icarscan, will it read things like cam deviation? MAF? O2 sensor voltages? Fuel trims? Etc? How about initializing accessories? (Fans, a/c clutch, etc)

Yes it will read live data streams. Not sure about initializing accessories. Have not tried that. I actually haven't used it on my 00 Boxster yet (knock on wood). I used it on my 08 cayenne GTS when I changed the ATF as I had to know the correct ATF fluid temp and the icarscan device worked properly. Also did my plugs,coils,TF case, and oil. Cleared my codes and reset my throttle and maintenance aswell.

Worked great.

Old 09-07-2020, 08:04 PM   #8
Durametric is the way to go. Spend the extra money and get the professional version with unlimited VIN’s, better resale value than an Enthusiast version with only 2 or 1 VIN left. That way, when your executor settles your estate selling your Boxsters, the estate will get top dollar for your tools.
Not that you would ever sell your Box...

old911doc is offline   Reply With Quote