Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-21-2020, 08:12 PM   #1

Garage
Replacing SAI, what else should I do while in there?

I will be replacing my SAI this weekend due to the occasional 0410 and 1411 codes I am getting, I will be checking all vacuum lines as well, but since I'm in there, is there any other preventive maintenance I can do while I have things open?

mgfranz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2020, 10:33 AM   #2
Motorist & Coffee Drinker

Garage
If a vacuum hose is brittle, replace them all. Clean the throttle body, check the AOS hoses to make sure they are not cracked and connections are fully seated. Be careful of the oil filler and dipstick hoses - they are often brittle.
Old 08-22-2020, 01:32 PM   #3

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by 78F350 View Post
If a vacuum hose is brittle, replace them all. Clean the throttle body, check the AOS hoses to make sure they are not cracked and connections are fully seated. Be careful of the oil filler and dipstick hoses - they are often brittle.
Yeah, I was going to do a thorough investigation since as far as I know they have never been smoked tested or looked at. I'm just afraid I may be opening a can of worms. Should I do the AOS while I'm in there?
Old 08-22-2020, 01:41 PM   #4
Motorist & Coffee Drinker

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by mgfranz View Post
... Should I do the AOS while I'm in there?
*That* is a can of worms. Most of the pain comes from working the lower end of the AOS, not the top. If the car is an '03 - '04 it's bit easier than the earlier ones due to no hose to clamp on the bottom.

Here's some notes from doing it on a 2000 with a 5 - speed.
Old 08-22-2020, 01:48 PM   #5

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by 78F350 View Post
*That* is a can of worms. Most of the pain comes from working the lower end of the AOS, not the top. If the car is an '03 - '04 it's bit easier than the earlier ones due to no hose to clamp on the bottom.

Here's some notes from doing it on a 2000 with a 5 - speed.
Mine is a '01, but I'm not afraid of doing the work, the coolant can was one of the first things I had to do to her, so...
Old 08-23-2020, 06:26 AM   #6
1998 Boxster Silver/Red

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgfranz View Post
Yeah, I was going to do a thorough investigation since as far as I know they have never been smoked tested or looked at. I'm just afraid I may be opening a can of worms. Should I do the AOS while I'm in there?
I'm 92262 proximate. If ever you need any help just let me know. I've got plenty of tools... a little space... some patience... and time. If you're fairly local to me I can pay you a visit.
Old 08-23-2020, 06:48 AM   #7

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Starter986 View Post
I'm 92262 proximate. If ever you need any help just let me know. I've got plenty of tools... a little space... some patience... and time. If you're fairly local to me I can pay you a visit.
I much appreciate the offer, I'm in Mission Viejo, so it's a bit of a drive, but I'll let you know.