Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-05-2020, 07:02 AM   #1

RSR adjustable rear toe arms or Godspeed

Any preference? RSR look to be the same as Tarret. Godspeed look to be the same as Megan racing.
Looking to get a better alignment to reduce tire wear on daily driver/canyon carver, and maybe go lower than the M030.

WillH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2020, 07:46 AM   #2
Who's askin'?

Quote:
Originally Posted by WillH View Post
Any preference? RSR look to be the same as Tarret. Godspeed look to be the same as Megan racing.
Looking to get a better alignment to reduce tire wear on daily driver/canyon carver, and maybe go lower than the M030.
I may have a set of Godspeed toe links I could sell you. I took them off and went with the RSS links. The Godspeed are big, heavy, clunky. but cheap. ;-)

If you're interested, I'll need to see if they were damaged at all, before I commit them to ya.
maytag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2020, 08:27 AM   #3

i have the megan racing ones. They work fine. The tarrett ones may be slightly stiffer, but I didn't see the extra value.
Quadcammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2020, 08:57 AM   #4
Who's askin'?

Quote:
oh, and allow me to save you the grief I experienced; when you remove the OEM joints from the upright, use a Pickle fork. There are steel inserts pressed into the aluminum upright, which are prone to coming-out with the oem link because they're seized together from 20 yrs of stick. IF you have a ball-joint separator that will get a claw in under that insert, then you're good-to-go. I couldn't get my separator in there so I used a hammer....... :troll: don't be me; don't use a hammer.
Old 08-05-2020, 11:00 AM   #5

Thanks guys. Thanks Maytag for the heads up about the steel inserts.

I have ball joint separator and pickle fork. Don’t expect to need the bfh. Prefer new parts.

My concerns about the Megan/Godspeed is the quality of the joints and the weight. Replacement ball joint and spherical bearings availability and/or trouble hunting them down. I had to go with Topspeed front caster arms when the factory parts/factory supplier arms where unobtanium a few years back so have a bit of an idea of the quality. The price is definitely attractive though.

The RSR Tarret clones use factory tie rod ends that are easily sourced. They also come with boots for the inboard joints. Higher price point though, twice the price of Godspeed. Just wondering if anyone has experience with them.

Last edited by WillH; 08-05-2020 at 11:22 AM. Reason: Adding a thanks to Maytag
Old 08-05-2020, 12:59 PM   #6

most of my track buddies have them. They work, no issues.

That said, you could recreate them for wayyyyy less than they charge if you took the time to source the heim joints.

As for the megan racing stuff, I've had them for roughly 3 years, 15k street miles, and probably 5k+ track miles and they are still tight as day 1.

For $200 a set, i'm not complaining.
Old 08-06-2020, 06:35 AM   #7

I’ve put a low offer on a single Rennline Tarret style arm. If I get, it I’ll use it as a pattern piece to source the required hiem joints and assorted pieces.

Thanks The responses.
Old 08-06-2020, 07:22 AM   #8

Quote:
I’ve put a low offer on a single Rennline Tarret style arm. If I get, it I’ll use it as a pattern piece to source the required hiem joints and assorted pieces.

Thanks The responses.
Very cool, if you mean the bumpsteer rennline arm, I can provide the part numbers for everything except for the spacers in the inboard end, and the tapered cone to go over the bolt on the outboard end (which are two custom pieces machined by rennline). This approach uses standard 5/8 thread FK Rod ends and threaded aluminum tube.

The approach that uses the OEM porsche tie rod end is tougher because you need a custom adapter to go from 5/8 to the metric thread is on the tie rod end. If you could go all metric with the rod end too then you might be able to find a ready made threaded metric adjuster and then the only piece you would need to fabricate would be the spacers for the rod end.
steved0x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2020, 07:32 AM   #9
Who's askin'?

y'all might ping forum member pcarferher (Todd). I think he has already drawn them up in cad, with the proper joints, etc, and he may've already sent them into production. The dude's a friggin' animal with that stuff. I have a set of his camber plates that he built for me, and they're BEAUTIFUL,.......
Old 08-06-2020, 07:50 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by maytag View Post
y'all might ping forum member pcarferher (Todd). I think he has already drawn them up in cad, with the proper joints, etc, and he may've already sent them into production. The dude's a friggin' animal with that stuff. I have a set of his camber plates that he built for me, and they're BEAUTIFUL,.......
Oh yeah - he has got some plans for complete custom ones, I have a couple of his other parts on my car, they are works of art
steved0x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2020, 08:26 AM   #11

https://rennlist.com/forums/market/1207226
Old 08-06-2020, 01:27 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quadcammer View Post
waiting for a reply.
Old 03-13-2021, 05:39 AM   #13

Just ordered a set from rebel racing. Should be here in a few weeks. Hope to get this done before I need to take the car out.
Old 03-13-2021, 01:46 PM   #14

Garage
FYI: if you ever need heims, Rod End Supply is great. I don't know if they can get them in metric, but they have a great variety, both in grade and aluminum and steel.