Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-18-2020, 11:02 AM   #1

Garage
Unboxing Boxster Stuff

What did you get? Where did it come from? Can we see it?
Have fun showing us the stuff you got and are putting on and in you car. Don't forget the tools.

Deep sump oil pan and IMSB removal tools

Everything came well packed and is of a very high quality. Takes about 2 weeks to my door after Paypal clears in Germany.

Phat Hippy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2020, 11:15 AM   #2

Garage
More stuff from our forum sponsor.
Timing chain tensioners and sealing rings.

I have a lot of work in my future...
Old 07-18-2020, 11:30 AM   #3

Garage
Okay, "I'm going to give it a try" was what I told myself when I bought this endoscope from the Amazon. So far works pretty good for Chinesium. About $60. I'm hoping it will work for cylinder scoring inspection purposes and many others. Like how much foam is left on my diverter flaps.LOL

Old 07-18-2020, 03:56 PM   #4

Nice haul. Looks like you have some work ahead of you. Where did you get the deep sump pan and IMSB kit? Looks like good quality. I don't see a new bearing.

I just received a box of two lower control arms (coffin arms) to rid my car of the usual front-end clunk.

Last edited by willw; 07-19-2020 at 03:26 AM.
willw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2020, 08:17 AM   #5
A Porsche Guy

My new shift knob came in yesterday. I'm pleased with my overall first impression with the knob and I'm happy dealing with IXI Gears in Las Vegas. The different color stop rings are great additions. Next weekend project.

Name:  NEW SHIFT KNOB.jpg
Views: 390
Size:  35.3 KB

Last edited by 1PorscheBoxster986; 07-19-2020 at 08:39 AM.
1PorscheBoxster986 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2020, 01:44 PM   #6

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by willw View Post
Nice haul. Looks like you have some work ahead of you. Where did you get the deep sump pan and IMSB kit? Looks like good quality. I don't see a new bearing.

I just received a box of two lower control arms (coffin arms) to rid my car of the usual front-end clunk.
I'm doing all the pre-qualifications needed for the IMSolution from LN Engineering. I want to do it right because the car has only 50k on it now, and I want to keep it for a while. I bought the tools from FVD because they were only $195 and I'm going to need cam locking tools more than once. I can't make them for that price. I'm planning to extract the bearing to see what I have, then rent the proper install tools from LN and the new RMS when ready this fall. Right now A proper oil change with Speediagnostics and Driven DT40 a bore inspection and deep sump. There is a lot of summer left to drive it. The deep sump is a little expensive $495, but it is a one piece completely machined with the X51 style baffle. I'm not racing or tracking this car but I didn't want to have the extension deep sump set-up with double the sealing concerns.

Suspension parts are further down my list. Good luck with your project.
Old 07-19-2020, 01:54 PM   #7

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1PorscheBoxster986 View Post
My new shift knob came in yesterday. I'm pleased with my overall first impression with the knob and I'm happy dealing with IXI Gears in Las Vegas. The different color stop rings are great additions. Next weekend project.

Attachment 22463
Those are really nice. As a machinist, diemaker, toolmaker, moldmaker, programmer, process engineer, I am a sucker for a well made CNC component. It brings a sense of quality and precision to any automotive project. Just the feel of it in your hand changes the feel of the overall driving pleasure. Don't get me wrong a finely wrapped leather or glass finished wooden knob also gets me. I hope you get the same pleasure I do from a good knob job...
Old 07-20-2020, 04:04 AM   #8
1998 Boxster Silver/Red

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phat Hippy View Post
Those are really nice. I hope you get the same pleasure I do from a good knob job...
Excellent. See ya around.
Old 07-20-2020, 08:27 AM   #9
A Porsche Guy

This new shift knob is very well crafted. It's a great alternative to the Rennline version. I can't wait to feel the better shifting experience than the stock 986/987 shift knobs.

My picture has been downloaded many times since my post. For those that are interested, please note I am not sure if this knob will directly fit into your stock 986 shifter.

I am using 987/997 shifter and this shift knob is designed for that. There is a visual difference between 986 and 987 shifter at the head of the stalk. I cannot test the fitment for stock shifter since I no longer have one.
Old 07-20-2020, 12:25 PM   #10

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Starter986 View Post
Excellent. See ya around.
I said I like a good one...Not interested, but thanks for the offer...
Old 07-22-2020, 09:47 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1PorscheBoxster986 View Post
This new shift knob is very well crafted. It's a great alternative to the Rennline version. I can't wait to feel the better shifting experience than the stock 986/987 shift knobs.

My picture has been downloaded many times since my post. For those that are interested, please note I am not sure if this knob will directly fit into your stock 986 shifter.

I am using 987/997 shifter and this shift knob is designed for that. There is a visual difference between 986 and 987 shifter at the head of the stalk. I cannot test the fitment for stock shifter since I no longer have one.
Ok... so a warning. I did the metal shift knob thing... they look awesome, until your car sits in the sun for a couple of hours and the knob is so hot it’s impossible to touch. Really sucked, and I wound up ditching it.
Geof3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2020, 06:13 AM   #12
A Porsche Guy

Hi Geo, thanks for the warning. I am aware of this situation. Based on the only review, the shift knob will get about 5 degrees hotter than stock 987 knob. With the AC blasting, it shouldn't take more than a minute for it to cool down. I do not drive the Boxster often and having a pair of driving gloves on standby should help alleviate this problem.

I think for most owners with a black interior and the top down during hot days, we've all experience the hot interior cabin before. I've been burn more than once or twice by that dashboard .

I installed the shift knob the other day when it was near 100 degrees and after 2 hours I did experience the warm/hot touch to it; top up. I'm waiting for the new leather shift boot to arrive to finish the job.

Last edited by 1PorscheBoxster986; 07-23-2020 at 09:18 AM.