Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-02-2020, 02:24 AM   #1

Garage
Timing Chain Tensioners

Good morning all,
I am going to be swapping my tensioners out, (hopefully today) and had a couple questions I couldn't find a clear answer to in the previous threads/DIYs.

1. How much oil should I expect to loose during the swap? Is it best to drain the oil prior to pulling them? Of course I just changed my oil last weekend. Haha.

2. This is where I sound dumb(er). Most directions state to lock the crank at TDC, then lock the cams. But isn't there a TDC for both sides? Does it matter which TDC i'm at for the tensioner swap?

Thanks guys!

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Old 02-02-2020, 03:30 AM   #2
Who's askin'?

Hey there! Good luck today.
I can't answer #1, but I can answer #2 for you.

When the manual talks about "TDC", it's not talking about tdc for a specific side, it's talking about a very specific position. Think of it as "service-mode". And while one cylinder is indeed at TDC (iirc, it's cylinder #2 for this motor?) that's not really important. What matters is that you're placing the motor into a known, unchanging position, so that if, during the course of a given procedure, things move, they can be easily put back where they belong. This is especially crucial for procedures that affect timing. SO: when you lock the motor at TDC, there's a mechanical lock (pin) that keeps the crank from moving, and then there are additional Porsche tools available (though some of us have made our own) which lock each cam in their correct location relative to the crank.

Did I explain that in a way which makes sense to ya? I can't always tell..... haha
maytag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2020, 04:37 AM   #3

Garage
Thats make complete sense! Thanks Maytag. I figured I may have been caught up on the wording a bit. I always have a little anxiety doining timing related repairs. Haha.

So to over simplify, line the timing marks up (pulley/case marks), lock crank, lock cams. Swap tensioners one at a time. Turn crank over by hand to make sure I didnt mess anything up. Haha.

I made a couple cam locking tools, crude but will get the job done. Will probably just drain the oil to cut down on any mess.

Old 02-02-2020, 04:51 AM   #4
Seal1968

There's a lot of guys that lock it at TDC with a pin or drill bit (5/8?) and proceed without the cams locked changing ONE tensioner at a time.

Doing without the cams locked has the small chance that a bit of tension released when removing the tensioner may slightly adjust the camshaft position in a worst case scenario.

I suspect this would be more of a risk with a high mileage engine where the chain is older and stretched and the guides have wear.

Certainly others will comment and either support a simple TDC lock, or the full-on lockdown recommended by Porsche...get ready lol.

FYI...If anyone tells you timing chains don't stretch, they are full of ****************.

Good luck.
Seal1968 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2020, 05:22 AM   #5

Garage
Yeah, I have 178k on it. It really needs chain guides too I'm sure. Hoping the tensioners buy me some time before I have to go that far. I'm starting to plan for a replacement engine, or just getting an S at some point. Haha.

I have read both recomendations on locking the cams. I figure its worth the peice of the mind. The tools are easy to make and the cam plugs are cheap, relatively speaking.

I've seen chains stretch first hand. The chain in my Rubicon was stretched a good bit after 200K. Very noticeable side by side with a new one.
Old 02-02-2020, 06:02 AM   #6

This will help. If nothing else, you'll be able to visualize what needs to be done. I know being able to actually see it done helps me immensely:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nRmB53bALf8

The video goes a little slow, but this guy is pretty good.

Good luck with your project.

Last edited by piper6909; 02-02-2020 at 06:13 AM.
piper6909 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2020, 06:14 AM   #7
Who's askin'?

Quote:
Originally Posted by GLImages View Post
I'm starting to plan for a replacement engine, or just getting an S at some point. Haha.
You probably will never do much better than the 'S' that Onewhippedpuppy has for sale in the classifieds right now.

If it's in your future, you'd be money ahead to grab it now.... especially since everyone is blathering about these cars now being "officially recognized by Porsche as a Classic" (as if that means anything, haha. but I DO think they're at the bottom of the depreciation curve. Thank you Charlie Sheen)
Old 02-02-2020, 06:18 AM   #8
Artist, 986S tinkerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by piper6909 View Post
This will help. If nothing else, you'll be able to visualize what needs to be done. I know being able to actually see it done helps me immensely:

Yes, Ben Burner’s videos are well made and have often given me that little boost in confidence to tackle a job. He seems to have stopped making them though, the last one was a couple of years ago.
YouTube channel: the PORSCHE as seen by NewArt
www.youtube.com/channel/UCohdrH2xHTklM1thxk0KKOQ?
NewArt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2020, 06:33 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewArt View Post
Yes, Ben Burner’s videos are well made and have often given me that little boost in confidence to tackle a job. He seems to have stopped making them though, the last one was a couple of years ago.
I'm glad you still make them!
Old 02-02-2020, 06:40 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by maytag View Post
...but I DO think they're at the bottom of the depreciation curve. Thank you Charlie Sheen)
What did he do?
Old 02-02-2020, 06:56 AM   #11

Garage
Quote:
You probably will never do much better than the 'S' that Onewhippedpuppy has for sale in the classifieds right now.

If it's in your future, you'd be money ahead to grab it now.... especially since everyone is blathering about these cars now being "officially recognized by Porsche as a Classic" (as if that means anything, haha. but I DO think they're at the bottom of the depreciation curve. Thank you Charlie Sheen)
Thats the supercharged lapis blue one right? If so, i have definitely been drooling over it. Timing just isn't quite right yet for me to buy another car, not that it will ever be. Haha. And I'm not sure the supercharger is what I'm looking for. No offense to owner/builder. It looks top notch and I'll probably regret passing on it later. Haha.

Old 02-02-2020, 07:14 AM   #12

Garage
Supercharging any M96 engine is just stupid expensive temporary fun. Locking the engine @ TDC minimizes the tension on all the chains.
Old 02-02-2020, 07:38 AM   #13

Garage
Quote:

I've watched his videos a few times over the last week in preparation. Between those, Newarts videos, and the help from you guys on the forum, I've had been able to tackle most repairs with confidence.

I have to put off the tensioner swap until next weekend. Just can't seem to find the garage time today.

Old 02-02-2020, 09:36 AM   #14
Who's askin'?

Quote:
What did he do?
He's the one who (afaik) started the whole "it's the little sister of the sports car you really wanted but couldn't afford".

I keep wanting to tell him to bring it out to the track and we'll see.... except I hear he's a pretty good driver, too. Haha

I think comments like his and Jeremy Clarkson's have served to accelerate the depreciation of the boxster. Ther boxster doesn't suit the poseur scene very well, because they have to deal with comments like that from all their poseur buddies.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk
Old 02-02-2020, 05:17 PM   #15

Quote:
He's the one who (afaik) started the whole "it's the little sister of the sports car you really wanted but couldn't afford".

I keep wanting to tell him to bring it out to the track and we'll see.... except I hear he's a pretty good driver, too. Haha

I think comments like his and Jeremy Clarkson's have served to accelerate the depreciation of the boxster. Ther boxster doesn't suit the poseur scene very well, because they have to deal with comments like that from all their poseur buddies.

Ah, thanks.
I, for one, am glad they are undervalued. It made mine easier to buy. I just wish the parts were equally undervalued! Now, my opinion may change if I decide to sell it, but I don't see that happening anytime soon!
Old 06-16-2020, 03:06 AM   #16

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by GLImages View Post
Good morning all,
I am going to be swapping my tensioners out, (hopefully today) and had a couple questions I couldn't find a clear answer to in the previous threads/DIYs.....
I finally got the 3 tensioners swapped last week. I was happily rewarded with a nice quiet start up.

Pretty easy job overall. I made a set of cam locking tools like in the video. Hardest part for me was getting the new tensioners compressed and threaded at the same time. Took a couple tries to figure it out. I recommend a 14mm ball end L-shaped allen for installing the top tensioner. Don't bother with the socket type allen, no room with ac compressor still installed.

Thanks for all the advice guys!

Old 06-16-2020, 03:51 AM   #17

Quote:

That, plus this scene (in a movie my wife somehow talked me into watching with her)...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j4wCYLTy-6w
Frodo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2020, 05:40 AM   #18
Will there be cake?

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frodo View Post
That, plus this scene (in a movie my wife somehow talked me into watching with her)...

worth the watch...thanks
tonythetiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2020, 08:19 AM   #19
Who's askin'?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frodo View Post

this never gets old. NEVER. hahaha
Old 06-16-2020, 01:38 PM   #20

No it does not.
How could it?
For many of us (especially non-Ferrari owners ) we're a captive audience.

Frodo is offline   Reply With Quote