Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-15-2020, 08:00 AM   #1

Ignition Switch or Entire Assembly?

99 Boxster
Over the years, I've had the occasional issue where I had to jiggle the steering wheel in order to turn the key and start the car. Nothing big.
Monday of last week, I had to turn the key a couple of times to get it to start. I'd get a flash on the dash. I could still hear the click of the clutch switch. I chalked it up to just a gremlin.
Later last week, I had trouble turning the key enough to remove it. A couple of times I'd remove the key and the radio would still be on and the door would ding when I opened it (key removed). I could usually jiggle the key in the socket to get the car to sense it was removed.
Now, the car won't sense that the key is removed at all. Radio stays on, door dings.
So do I need to replace just the electric ignition switch or the steering lock mechanism as well? Sure, I can start with the switch but if that doesn't fix things, then I buy the entire assembly which also comes with a switch.

gregkelley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2020, 08:20 AM   #2
1998 Boxster Silver/Red

Quote:
Originally Posted by gregkelley View Post
99 Boxster
Over the years, I've had the occasional issue where I had to jiggle the steering wheel in order to turn the key and start the car. Nothing big.
Monday of last week, I had to turn the key a couple of times to get it to start. I'd get a flash on the dash. I could still hear the click of the clutch switch. I chalked it up to just a gremlin.
Later last week, I had trouble turning the key enough to remove it. A couple of times I'd remove the key and the radio would still be on and the door would ding when I opened it (key removed). I could usually jiggle the key in the socket to get the car to sense it was removed.
Now, the car won't sense that the key is removed at all. Radio stays on, door dings.
So do I need to replace just the electric ignition switch or the steering lock mechanism as well? Sure, I can start with the switch but if that doesn't fix things, then I buy the entire assembly which also comes with a switch.
My advice comes only from memory reading here and there passages from upon these pages. That said... if I were in your shoes I'd...

Blow some pressured air into the keyhole... where you insert the ignition key. There may be something that needs to be dislodged. IIRC... spray some graphie into the hole... insert and remove your key a few times... then try to start the car. Kill it. Remove key... do that a couple/few times... see if that doesn't correct the problem.

If it doesn't... I'd replace the ignition switch. I believe you can pick them up for less than $20. Go OEM. I don't believe it would be entire assembly.

Good luck.

Last edited by Starter986; 06-15-2020 at 08:21 AM. Reason: Typo
Starter986 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2020, 08:44 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Starter986 View Post
My advice comes only from memory reading here and there passages from upon these pages. That said... if I were in your shoes I'd...

Blow some pressured air into the keyhole... where you insert the ignition key. There may be something that needs to be dislodged. IIRC... spray some graphie into the hole... insert and remove your key a few times... then try to start the car. Kill it. Remove key... do that a couple/few times... see if that doesn't correct the problem.

If it doesn't... I'd replace the ignition switch. I believe you can pick them up for less than $20. Go OEM. I don't believe it would be entire assembly.

Good luck.
Thank you for the advice. Odd that the electric switch would cause havoc with what would seem to be a mechanical problem.
Old 06-15-2020, 09:36 AM   #4

This happened to me. Eventually it got to the point where it was barely functioning and I had to key & unkey (if that's a word) over and over again for it to register that the key was not inserted. I also had a hell of a time removing the key itself. I replaced the ignition switch (involved an enormous amount of cursing) and it was fine. Well, until that switch failed less than a year later...
Spirit_RE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2020, 09:41 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spirit_RE View Post
This happened to me. Eventually it got to the point where it was barely functioning and I had to key & unkey (if that's a word) over and over again for it to register that the key was not inserted. I also had a hell of a time removing the key itself. I replaced the ignition switch (involved an enormous amount of cursing) and it was fine. Well, until that switch failed less than a year later...
Thanks. That is good to hear. I did plenty of swearing yesterday trying to remove the entire unit. Oh and to boot, I lost a screw (figure 3, item C on this page: https://www.pelicanparts.com/techarticles/Boxster_Tech/86-ELEC-Ignition_Switch/86-ELEC-Ignition_Switch.htm) that I have to try to figure out where to find...
Old 06-15-2020, 11:44 AM   #6

I was certain my issue was a mechanical failure...but alas it was just the switch itself. I was able to reach the screws to unfasten it by finger-holding one of those hex-head screwdriver heads (the ones that go into a ratcheting screwdriver). Again, it's very tight and frustrating, but that was the best way I could get to it.

If memory serves, you need to remove one section of HVAC duct (I believe it does not have fasteners) and perhaps unbolt/move out of the way the OBD port & bracket, but you shouldn't need to remove anything else. I started to take off some interior trim as was suggest in an article I saw online, but it didn't provide any better access. Be prepared for a sore back.
Spirit_RE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2020, 06:39 AM   #7

Just an update on this issue, it was the ignition switch. Removing the HVAC vent on the driver's side made it easier to get to one of those screws.
Thanks, all!
Old 06-22-2020, 11:12 AM   #8

Hello to all. I'm a new member and new owner of a 99 Boxster 986. I'm having a minor problem with my ignition. The key turns fine to start the engine, but does not return by itself to the accessory position. It seems that a spring has failed. Does anyone know if this spring is in the electrical part of the ignition or the mechanical. Feedback much appreciated!
Bronxboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2020, 11:31 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bronxboy View Post
Hello to all. I'm a new member and new owner of a 99 Boxster 986. I'm having a minor problem with my ignition. The key turns fine to start the engine, but does not return by itself to the accessory position. It seems that a spring has failed. Does anyone know if this spring is in the electrical part of the ignition or the mechanical. Feedback much appreciated!
Based on the issues I had, I would say that this is part of the ignition switch, the electrical part.
Old 06-22-2020, 12:39 PM   #10

Thanks, that would seem to be an easier repair.
Bronxboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2020, 01:27 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bronxboy View Post
You could spray some graphite, WD40, or other lube into the key slot and see if the does anything. Sometimes lube in tumblers gets old and gumby.

Simplest things first.
blue62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2020, 09:30 AM   #12

Garage
I did the ignition switch then ,the whole lock assembly and the lock assembly is easier .There are two small slotted screws that hold the ignition switch that are impossible to get at , had to get one of the kids to tighten then .If your small and don't mind being upside down with your head wedged in up under the dash you can do it .Good luck sir .Hope you have a little helper .

gabedrummin is offline   Reply With Quote