Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-09-2020, 11:26 AM   #1

new 986 owner and new to here! ICE question

Hi All,

So this Sat just gone, I got my hands on my very first Boxster 986, 2004, in silver. What a bit of kit.

As far as the build spec is concerned, apart from the wheels, it's pretty much basic factory spec(i think!), which for me is pretty much fine. However, I need to figure out a better in-car entertainment system, as the Alpine head unit isn't iPhone compatible and the single dash drivers are... well next to rubbish.

Now, i'm sure this forum is rife with resources on this topic, so I might just need to be directed to them. Either way i'd like to run past you folk what I had in mind and whether you think it is suitable, or if there is some better solutions out there.

Just a bit of heads up. I'm not looking for anything massively loud and base heavy, just a well rounded, quality sound. Also please bear in mind, although pretty good with my hands- im definitely not super clued up and technically minded.

As far as headunits are concerned I was thinking something along the lines of the below, for the simple reason of it's power output(so not requiring a pre-amp) and BT compatibility:
https://www.sony.co.uk/electronics/in-car-receivers-players/dsx-gs80

I dont have door, nor parcel shelf speakers or mounts. Having done a little research, retrospectively fitting/wiring door speakers are not worth the effort. From what I have gathered people are suggested to opt for installing drivers into rear-mounted shelf- again something I don't have, no keen to spend the money. Does anyone know if I could get away with using pods/enclosures, such as the below:

As long as I can get something to fit I feel it could be the simplest, cost-effective solution to fit myself using 2x 6x9's?

As far as the dash speakers are concerned, I guess there is an abundance of offerings. Any recommended suggestions?

Any help or pointers would be massively appreciated.

Will, London!

willurd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2020, 03:57 PM   #2

Search is your friend. Also Crutchfield's web site.
mikefocke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2020, 02:45 AM   #3
North East UK

Will, i have a solution to enable you to fit in any 4" dash speaker and 3.5" rear speaker if you are interested?

No need to butcher the old dash grills or mess around at the back, these just drop straight in.
Shown in blue for info in the pics, but they will be black.

Video of dash install

Last edited by BoxPaulie; 06-23-2020 at 02:56 AM.
BoxPaulie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2020, 03:42 AM   #4

@BoxPaulie
-where to get these adaptors?
-does the added depth for the dash units not create an interference problem?
Thanks
BrokenLinkage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2020, 06:16 AM   #5
North East UK

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrokenLinkage View Post
@BoxPaulie
-where to get these adaptors?
-does the added depth for the dash units not create an interference problem?
Thanks
i designed and make them in the UK. The depth is not an issue so long as the dash speaker is a MAXIMUM of 43mm deep, just attaches to the grill, then the speaker to the adapter, drop back in.
Old 06-23-2020, 05:04 PM   #6
Will there be cake?

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by BoxPaulie View Post
i designed and make them in the UK. The depth is not an issue so long as the dash speaker is a MAXIMUM of 43mm deep, just attaches to the grill, then the speaker to the adapter, drop back in.
Pretty cool...Do you have a shelf bracket that can accept 2 speakers on each side, like the 986-551-432-00-01C? anyone ever dropped a larger speaker in the shelf?
Also, for the dash speakers, you can just cut off the tabs and the speakers drop right in using the clips holding the old speaker in. I bypassed the tweeter and used co-axials.
tonythetiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2020, 02:00 AM   #7
North East UK

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonythetiger View Post
Pretty cool...Do you have a shelf bracket that can accept 2 speakers on each side, like the 986-551-432-00-01C? anyone ever dropped a larger speaker in the shelf?
Also, for the dash speakers, you can just cut off the tabs and the speakers drop right in using the clips holding the old speaker in. I bypassed the tweeter and used co-axials.
i dont, i didnt really want to go lower than 3.5" and the originals are 3" or maybe 2.75" i believe. I could re-design it to take 2x2.75" but im not sure i want to go so small.

Yeah a few ways to attach dash speakers, but they are all destructive in some way to the grill or the speaker, i made this bracket so you simply screw it in non-destructively, that was my goal.
Old 06-24-2020, 06:25 AM   #8
Will there be cake?

Garage
Quote:
i dont, i didnt really want to go lower than 3.5" and the originals are 3" or maybe 2.75" i believe. I could re-design it to take 2x2.75" but im not sure i want to go so small.

Yeah a few ways to attach dash speakers, but they are all destructive in some way to the grill or the speaker, i made this bracket so you simply screw it in non-destructively, that was my goal.
I have a pair of 3.5 on each side using the brackets i think I got at pelican, maybe ebay? cant remember, its been a few years. Getting a big speaker in the door would be cool, I had to chop up the boxes and it was destructive.
Old 06-24-2020, 06:39 AM   #9
1998 Boxster Silver/Red

This might sound good in there.

Name:  speaker.jpg
Views: 221
Size:  442.6 KB
Old 06-24-2020, 06:44 AM   #10
North East UK

Quote:
I have a pair of 3.5 on each side using the brackets i think I got at pelican, maybe ebay? cant remember, its been a few years. Getting a big speaker in the door would be cool, I had to chop up the boxes and it was destructive.
really? i cant see how they would fit? the pelican part is a double 3" as well, i just checked. I drew this thing up exactly and there is no way i could make 3.5" fit without compromising on integrity of the bracket or "jamming" it against the carpet.
Old 06-24-2020, 09:23 AM   #11
Will there be cake?

Garage
Quote:
really? i cant see how they would fit? the pelican part is a double 3" as well, i just checked. I drew this thing up exactly and there is no way i could make 3.5" fit without compromising on integrity of the bracket or "jamming" it against the carpet.
First, love what your doing, they look great.
Ill have to check now...but pretty sure 3.5. My memory isnt what it used to be, so ill let the forum know. Ill post a picture later if it helps.

confirmed:
Sound Ordnance P-35B – 3 ½ inch coaxials, 2 each side in shelf
Alpine SPS-410 – 4 inch coaxials in dash, cut tabs and used stock holders (perfect)
Pioneer TS-G650 – 6 ½ inch coaxials in door, cut out, mount and seal (destructive)

Massive sound from all around.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/1997-2011-Porsche-Boxster-Custom-Rear-Speaker-Bracket-Set/222659166162?hash=item33d7853fd2:g:uZgAAOSwl9BWK5M l

Last edited by tonythetiger; 06-24-2020 at 09:39 AM.
Old 06-24-2020, 03:11 PM   #12
North East UK

Quote:
First, love what your doing, they look great.
Ill have to check now...but pretty sure 3.5. My memory isnt what it used to be, so ill let the forum know. Ill post a picture later if it helps.
I stand corrected! All my designs, I couldn't make a double fit, simply no way so I'm not sure how that bracket has, I guess it's taller than the Porsche offering and it looks like it goes right down to the wire on frame edge. Interesting though, cheers.
Even the guide on pelican part states 3" and links to the speakers.

https://www.pelicanparts.com/techarticles/Boxster_Tech/89-ELEC-Rear_Speakers/89-ELEC-Rear_Speakers.htm
Old 06-25-2020, 05:26 AM   #13

Garage
Someone showed me this and looks pretty cool. Touchscreen and Apple Car Play.

https://jalopnik.com/porsches-1-500-retro-radio-means-air-cooled-911s-can-h-1843025294

Jasper7821 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ice , speaker upgrade , speakers