Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-14-2020, 07:45 PM   #1

Name that Bolt

I just removed and replaced the exhaust in my 2001 Boxster S - so I could clean out my exhaust ports. I also dropped the aluminum stabilizer pad below the transmission and the rear sway bar as part of the procedure. This bolt was left over on the floor when I finished - but I don't remember removing it. Does anyone recognize it and know where it goes? It's about 1.25 or 1.5 inches long. It's got a square head, so it looks like the head probably slots into something?

Attached Images

Last edited by ddruker; 05-14-2020 at 07:48 PM.
ddruker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2020, 08:14 PM   #2
Motorist & Coffee Drinker

Garage
It looks similar to the bolts for my overhead garage door.
Old 05-15-2020, 04:36 AM   #3
1998 Boxster Silver/Red

I'll need to see a bigger pic of the bolt. If I can get just a little more detail I should be armed to reveal from where that bolt came. I'm almost there. Larger pic, please.

Thanks!
Old 05-15-2020, 04:52 AM   #4

I can't give you a definitive answer, but since it's a square head chances are it's from some sort of clamp. They usually put square headed bolts in clamps so they won't spin. A hex head bolt could spin in a clamp.
2008 Boxster S Limited Edition #005
2008 Cayman S Sport - Signal Green
1989 928 S4 5 spd - black
1987 928 S4 - Granite Green Metallic (Felsengrun)
husker boxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2020, 05:22 AM   #5

IIRC, one of the top bolts on the triangle exhaust flanges uses a square bolt head and a captive bolt retainer. At least that was the case on my '98.
Old 05-15-2020, 06:02 AM   #6
Racer Boy

Not only does it have a square head, it's bent as well.
Racer Boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2020, 06:19 AM   #7

Or it might be one of the bolts from the clamp that holds on the 2 U-pipe connectors between the muffler and the mid pipes.
steved0x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2020, 08:00 AM   #8

Hah - and that's why I love this forum - two funny answers plus what seems to be the right answer.

It would make sense if it was one of the top bolts on the triangle exhaust flanges.

I broke 3 of the 4 studs off in this area when removing the exhaust, so I ground and drilled the stubs out and I replaced all four of the studs with nuts and bolts, plus I used new bolts for the top fasteners, when I put it back together.

If this was one of the top bolts, it would make sense why I have it left over and can't find any open holes anywhere.

Many thanks to all of you who replied.

Now fingers crossed my once every month or two code for the secondary air injection system goes away permanently.
Old 05-15-2020, 10:10 AM   #9
1998 Boxster Silver/Red

Quote:
Originally Posted by ddruker View Post
Now fingers crossed my once every month or two code for the secondary air injection system goes away permanently.
Would that be one code? Two? Maybe a third thrown in once or twice for good measure?

I'm preparing myself for replacing several parts... after removing the intake manifold. Not anytime soon as, I, like you am keeping an eye to see if they keep popping up.

I've a year until smog. Knowing how quickly that'll creep up means I need to get moving.

Cheers!
Old 05-17-2020, 06:59 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Starter986 View Post
Would that be one code? Two? Maybe a third thrown in once or twice for good measure?
Cheers!

I've been chasing an occasional but recurring P0410 plus a rare P1411 for about six months, following the factory diagnosis guide plus the accumulated wisdom on these forums.

It's becoming easy to see what so many folks give up on fixing the problem and instead choose a software fix or a hardware hack.
Old 05-18-2020, 02:41 AM   #11

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Starter986 View Post
I'll need to see a bigger pic of the bolt. If I can get just a little more detail I should be armed to reveal from where that bolt came. I'm almost there. Larger pic, please.

Thanks!
Any bigger and I'm gonna need a bigger computer screen. What are you browsing the forums on? A 70" smart tv?
Old 05-18-2020, 03:02 AM   #12

Since the original poster ask us to "name that bolt", I vote for BOB. No reason for Bob, just sounds like a good name for a bolt.
Old 05-18-2020, 04:26 AM   #13
1998 Boxster Silver/Red

Quote:
Originally Posted by ddruker View Post
I've been chasing an occasional but recurring P0410 plus a rare P1411 for about six months, following the factory diagnosis guide plus the accumulated wisdom on these forums.

It's becoming easy to see what so many folks give up on fixing the problem and instead choose a software fix or a hardware hack.
Those are the two that have popped up on me the last couple months. Maybe2-3 times. Has been off for a week since last I erased the codes... but we'll see how that unfolds as I drive it next.

Couple times ago the two codes popped it added a third... a code for one of the O2 sensors. However, the next time it threw codes that O2 code was absent.

The first time it started throwing those two codes... the 10 and 11 I had started the car abnd let it sit for 10 minutes while I was getting things ready for a day trip... so I thought that maybe it was the idling that may have caused the codes. Everytime since when I've started the car quickly I'll put it in gear and get things "rolling"... thinking that maybe thge idling set off the codes.

If they persist likley I'll be planning to either remove the alternator and go in from there replacing parts... or remove the manifold to access things. Likely some "while I'm in there" stuff as well.

I have the infamous "fix", "workaround", "hack" but will use that as a last resort... like next May.

Cheers!

Last edited by Starter986; 05-18-2020 at 04:28 AM.
Starter986 is offline   Reply With Quote