986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners

986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners (http://986forum.com/forums/index.php)
-   Boxster General Discussions (http://986forum.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   Name that Bolt (http://986forum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=77818)

ddruker 05-14-2020 07:45 PM

Name that Bolt

1 Attachment(s)
I just removed and replaced the exhaust in my 2001 Boxster S - so I could clean out my exhaust ports. I also dropped the aluminum stabilizer pad below the transmission and the rear sway bar as part of the procedure. This bolt was left over on the floor when I finished - but I don't remember removing it. Does anyone recognize it and know where it goes? It's about 1.25 or 1.5 inches long. It's got a square head, so it looks like the head probably slots into something?

78F350 05-14-2020 08:14 PM

It looks similar to the bolts for my overhead garage door.

Starter986 05-15-2020 04:36 AM

I'll need to see a bigger pic of the bolt. If I can get just a little more detail I should be armed to reveal from where that bolt came. I'm almost there. Larger pic, please.

Thanks!

husker boxster 05-15-2020 04:52 AM

I can't give you a definitive answer, but since it's a square head chances are it's from some sort of clamp. They usually put square headed bolts in clamps so they won't spin. A hex head bolt could spin in a clamp.

Stroked & Blown 05-15-2020 05:22 AM

IIRC, one of the top bolts on the triangle exhaust flanges uses a square bolt head and a captive bolt retainer. At least that was the case on my '98.

Racer Boy 05-15-2020 06:02 AM

Not only does it have a square head, it's bent as well.

steved0x 05-15-2020 06:19 AM

Or it might be one of the bolts from the clamp that holds on the 2 U-pipe connectors between the muffler and the mid pipes.

ddruker 05-15-2020 08:00 AM

Hah - and that's why I love this forum - two funny answers plus what seems to be the right answer.

It would make sense if it was one of the top bolts on the triangle exhaust flanges.

I broke 3 of the 4 studs off in this area when removing the exhaust, so I ground and drilled the stubs out and I replaced all four of the studs with nuts and bolts, plus I used new bolts for the top fasteners, when I put it back together.

If this was one of the top bolts, it would make sense why I have it left over and can't find any open holes anywhere.

Many thanks to all of you who replied.

Now fingers crossed my once every month or two code for the secondary air injection system goes away permanently.

Starter986 05-15-2020 10:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ddruker (Post 617113)
Now fingers crossed my once every month or two code for the secondary air injection system goes away permanently.

Would that be one code? Two? Maybe a third thrown in once or twice for good measure?

I'm preparing myself for replacing several parts... after removing the intake manifold. Not anytime soon as, I, like you am keeping an eye to see if they keep popping up.

I've a year until smog. Knowing how quickly that'll creep up means I need to get moving.

Cheers! :cheers:

ddruker 05-17-2020 06:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Starter986 (Post 617128)
Would that be one code? Two? Maybe a third thrown in once or twice for good measure?

I've been chasing an occasional but recurring P0410 plus a rare P1411 for about six months, following the factory diagnosis guide plus the accumulated wisdom on these forums.

It's becoming easy to see what so many folks give up on fixing the problem and instead choose a software fix or a hardware hack.

traveno 05-18-2020 02:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Starter986 (Post 617095)
I'll need to see a bigger pic of the bolt. If I can get just a little more detail I should be armed to reveal from where that bolt came. I'm almost there. Larger pic, please.

Thanks!

Any bigger and I'm gonna need a bigger computer screen. What are you browsing the forums on? A 70" smart tv?

flouese 05-18-2020 03:02 AM

Since the original poster ask us to "name that bolt", I vote for BOB. No reason for Bob, just sounds like a good name for a bolt.

Starter986 05-18-2020 04:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ddruker (Post 617206)
I've been chasing an occasional but recurring P0410 plus a rare P1411 for about six months, following the factory diagnosis guide plus the accumulated wisdom on these forums.

It's becoming easy to see what so many folks give up on fixing the problem and instead choose a software fix or a hardware hack.

Those are the two that have popped up on me the last couple months. Maybe2-3 times. Has been off for a week since last I erased the codes... but we'll see how that unfolds as I drive it next.

Couple times ago the two codes popped it added a third... a code for one of the O2 sensors. However, the next time it threw codes that O2 code was absent.

The first time it started throwing those two codes... the 10 and 11 I had started the car abnd let it sit for 10 minutes while I was getting things ready for a day trip... so I thought that maybe it was the idling that may have caused the codes. Everytime since when I've started the car quickly I'll put it in gear and get things "rolling"... thinking that maybe thge idling set off the codes.

If they persist likley I'll be planning to either remove the alternator and go in from there replacing parts... or remove the manifold to access things. Likely some "while I'm in there" stuff as well.

I have the infamous "fix", "workaround", "hack" but will use that as a last resort... like next May. ;)