Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-14-2020, 10:00 AM   #1
Motorist & Coffee Drinker

Garage
Price Check: Used M030 Sway Bars?

I'm trying to determine a fair price for a pair of M030 sway bars with bushings. I can't find any 'solds' of the right part number for a good reference.

I found new ones at a few places for about $300 rear and $400 front, and that's way higher than I expect a used set should go for.

Here's pics:

This set appears to be for the base model with 24mm front bar and 19.6 mm diameter rear. I do have another set with the 19 mm rear for the 'S'. Would there be a price difference?
Here's my M030 reference: CB-Racing, 986 Suspension Info

Last edited by 78F350; 05-15-2020 at 08:02 AM. Reason: Added BOLD text in a couple spots.
78F350 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2020, 11:43 AM   #2
edc
550 Anniversary

Garage
You can get H&R or Eibach arbs front and rear or the price of one second hand M030 based on your prices.
edc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2020, 12:15 PM   #3

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by edc View Post
You can get H&R or Eibach arbs front and rear or the price of one second hand M030 based on your prices.
Thanks for the reply, but maybe I wasn't clear enough in my post. I have no idea what a good price for these is. The prices I posted are for new items and I know (stated) that is way too high for these.

Let me restate the question in simple form: What is a good price for a set of used M030 sway bars in the USA?
Old 05-14-2020, 01:28 PM   #4
edc
550 Anniversary

Garage
You can buy a brand new pair of Eibach arb/sway bars for £300 in the UK. The M030 price you ha e doesn't look like good value.
Old 05-14-2020, 01:44 PM   #5

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by edc View Post
You can buy a brand new pair of Eibach arb/sway bars for £300 in the UK. The M030 price you ha e doesn't look like good value.
Ok. Good. Thanks again.
Now that we know about what new Eibach and H&R springs cost... Lets say that I want to specifically buy a used set of Porsche M030 sway bars.
What would a good price be?
Old 05-14-2020, 01:46 PM   #6
Racer Boy

A rule of thumb in most things is that a used item goes for about half of new cost, but that would mean $350 for the used set. To me, that seems very high, as edc mentioned, you can buy an adjustable Eibach set new for that.

If you are interested in selling that set, I may be interested in making you an offer.
Racer Boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2020, 07:54 AM   #7

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Racer Boy View Post
A rule of thumb in most things is that a used item goes for about half of new cost, but that would mean $350 for the used set. To me, that seems very high, as edc mentioned, you can buy an adjustable Eibach set new for that.

If you are interested in selling that set, I may be interested in making you an offer.
Thanks Racer Boy, I currently have a buyer for one set and we are just trying to figure out a fair price. I do have another set that I will have available for sale after we get the first one sorted out.
Old 05-18-2020, 09:57 AM   #8
Track rat

Garage
$250/set seems fair. I got my rear bar for $100 less bushings. It's a good mod for someone who wants to tighten up the roll rate a bit without getting the car totally tied down.
Old 05-18-2020, 01:11 PM   #9

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Racer Boy View Post

Difference being there is little to zero wear on used sway bars.
Old 05-18-2020, 01:45 PM   #10
edc
550 Anniversary

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by BYprodriver View Post
Difference being there is little to zero wear on used sway bars.
I guess that depends on where you are and how tough your winters are if you drive in those conditions. I've seen reports and pictures of fractured ones and even snapped. Not as regular an occurrence as a snapped spring.
Old 05-18-2020, 06:43 PM   #11

Garage
The sway bars in question were paid for over the weekend and shipped today. The price was set at $225 plus shipping and shipping was about $35. I'm pretty sure that RedTele58 is going to take the second set that I have. Thanks for the comments.