Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-09-2020, 05:56 AM   #1

I bought a POS

I knew it when I went to get it. But after owning 24 Corvettes, I got bored and needed something new in my life. It's my nature to buy a car and work on it. It runs for about 20 mins and dies. After researching I'm thinking the crank sensor gets hot.

Plans on the car... Get it road worthy and do some hpde. I've done autocross and Rallyx since around 94 on a limited basic. I just want more seat time as I get older. I want to try some TT in a few years and hopefully this car will be a track only car within 4-5.

All I can say at the moment.....let the journey begin and a toast to my new education.

Berryhill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2020, 08:10 AM   #2

Welcome and good luck with it! Working on these things is not too terrible if you can get from underneath easy. The crank shaft position sensor is pretty straight forward to replace and will probably fix your problem.
CrisZenithBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2020, 08:32 AM   #3

Along with Bentley Manual and Wayne Dempsey's 101 Projects book, YouTube can be an excellent source for videos on finding, removing and replacing the bad stuff. Or even the good stuff to make it more fun.
2008 Cayenne S (sold)
1989 Targa (sold)
morgal48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2020, 10:01 AM   #4

Another Boxster rescue! Nice. Welcome and keep us posted.

Did the same thing and have been happy with the ease at which these cars can be repaired and the support on places like this.

Enjoy the journey.
Zzorro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2020, 10:56 AM   #5
Certified Boxster Addict

Welcome!

There is no better car for fun seat time and is fantastic on a track.

Lots of knowledge in this Forum - almost every problem you will ever experience has already been solved.

Let's see some pic's of that POS!!
1997 Spec Boxster BSR #254
1979 911 SC
POC Licensed DE/TT Instructor
thstone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2020, 01:05 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrisZenithBlue View Post
Welcome and good luck with it! Working on these things is not too terrible if you can get from underneath easy. The crank shaft position sensor is pretty straight forward to replace and will probably fix your problem.
Thank you sir. I hope, can't be to much as it does run.

Quote:
Originally Posted by morgal48 View Post
Along with Bentley Manual and Wayne Dempsey's 101 Projects book, YouTube can be an excellent source for videos on finding, removing and replacing the bad stuff. Or even the good stuff to make it more fun.
I like the good stuff. I love fabrication work.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zzorro View Post
Another Boxster rescue! Nice. Welcome and keep us posted.

Did the same thing and have been happy with the ease at which these cars can be repaired and the support on places like this.

Enjoy the journey.
It's growing on me each time I look at it. I've always liked Porsche's but there's not many around my area...but considering I'm a redneck and don't do the wine thing might be the reason.

Quote:
Originally Posted by thstone View Post
Welcome!

There is no better car for fun seat time and is fantastic on a track.

Lots of knowledge in this Forum - almost every problem you will ever experience has already been solved.

Let's see some pic's of that POS!!
I'm in between Barber and Bowling Green, so I plan on making laps there.

Here's a few pics

Old 05-09-2020, 03:16 PM   #7
Boxster 986

That POS is cosmetically in better condition than mine, where does that leave me? lol

Good luck, i’m sure after your journey you’ll want to open up shop to the rest of the german car community.
Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2020, 03:29 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Berryhill View Post
...but considering I'm a redneck and don't do the wine thing might be the reason...
I dunno... I bet Porsches would do well with Tennessee Moonshine drinkers! That's becoming trendy, isn't it?

Welcome to the forum and congrats on your beautiful car. I wouldn't call it a POS by any means.

I am also interested in knowing more about the Camaro in the background. 1969?
piper6909 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2020, 04:15 PM   #9
Certified Boxster Addict

That is actually a really good looking Boxster!

My car started out looking just like yours. Beware, going to the track is a slippery, slippery slope...
1997 Spec Boxster BSR #254
1979 911 SC
POC Licensed DE/TT Instructor
thstone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2020, 04:28 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by piper6909 View Post
I dunno... I bet Porsches would do well with Tennessee Moonshine drinkers! That's becoming trendy, isn't it?

Welcome to the forum and congrats on your beautiful car. I wouldn't call it a POS by any means.

I am also interested in knowing more about the Camaro in the background. 1969?
I've got a few friends that drink moonshine. I'm not a big enough boy for it.

That's a 1970 Trans Am it has a long way to go. Still in the thought process, lots of ideas...low on funds.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolf View Post
That POS is cosmetically in better condition than mine, where does that leave me? lol

Good luck, i’m sure after your journey you’ll want to open up shop to the rest of the german car community.
The old saying about pics don't do the car justice also works the other way.

If I do open it up I guess I'll need some moonshine.
Old 05-09-2020, 06:22 PM   #11

Yah, that's not a POS. The body on mine is in way way worse shape!

Also, I covet your shop............does that make me a bad person? Assume you got a hoist kicking around the place too?
Zzorro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2020, 07:17 PM   #12
1997 Tip, 2018 Macan

Garage
Welcome and safe travels.
rexcramer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2020, 07:11 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zzorro View Post
Yah, that's not a POS. The body on mine is in way way worse shape!

Also, I covet your shop............does that make me a bad person? Assume you got a hoist kicking around the place too?
No lift, I need one but. Shop process has been hard on me, I started one yr ago. I did everything except concrete and roof. I'm thankful I was able to do it. Here's a couple pics of the journey.

Quote:
Originally Posted by thstone View Post
That is actually a really good looking Boxster!

My car started out looking just like yours. Beware, going to the track is a slippery, slippery slope...
I'll have to find some pics of your car.

Old 05-11-2020, 10:46 AM   #14

Garage
wow what a beautiful shop you created so far. Thank you for the inspiration

Welcome to the Boxster community!
2000 Boxster S, SPEC stage 1 clutch, Fabspeed sport headers, Fabspeed secondary cat deletes, Billy&Boat muffler, EVOM air intake, Ben006's Custom Short Shifter, Pedro's TechnoBrace, Eibach rear sway bar, De-snorkeled, Fred's custom projector HL
Dubaday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2020, 11:36 AM   #15

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Berryhill View Post
I knew it when I went to get it. But after owning 24 Corvettes, I got bored and needed something new in my life. It's my nature to buy a car and work on it. It runs for about 20 mins and dies. After researching I'm thinking the crank sensor gets hot.

Plans on the car... Get it road worthy and do some hpde. I've done autocross and Rallyx since around 94 on a limited basic. I just want more seat time as I get older. I want to try some TT in a few years and hopefully this car will be a track only car within 4-5.

All I can say at the moment.....let the journey begin and a toast to my new education.
Look at the Fuel pump relay as well. Mine would do the same. The relay would get to hot to touch after it stopped running after 15-20 mins. Cool down and would run again until hot again
Old 05-12-2020, 07:15 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dubaday View Post
wow what a beautiful shop you created so far. Thank you for the inspiration

Welcome to the Boxster community!
Thank you sir.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kk2002s View Post
Look at the Fuel pump relay as well. Mine would do the same. The relay would get to hot to touch after it stopped running after 15-20 mins. Cool down and would run again until hot again
I've found a few post on that. I've got so much to learn, looking at brakes and shifter parts now. I can say I like the ability to buy small parts for rebuilds.
Old 05-13-2020, 08:54 PM   #17

If you are going to wrench the thing get a Durametric as well. Absolutely worth it for diagnostics. And you car is hardly a POS... congrats!
Geof3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2020, 01:06 AM   #18

Garage
Wow your shop looks great! That floor looks so nice, I'd have a hard time wrenching on my cars in there. Looks like a showroom floor. Well done.
Is that a blue MAC box I see in the background? I'm working out of a black and chrome MAC Tech-1000 right now. You're living my shop dream hahaha. One day!

Otherwise, welcome to the forum and you have a very nice Boxster there.

Last edited by traveno; 05-14-2020 at 01:10 AM.
traveno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2020, 08:31 AM   #19
Motorist & Coffee Drinker

Garage
Quote:
... But after owning 24 Corvettes, ...
Be careful, Boxsters are know to multiply as well. It starts with "I could sure use a parts car." and grows from there.

Welcome to the forum.
Old 05-21-2020, 06:40 AM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geof3 View Post
If you are going to wrench the thing get a Durametric as well. Absolutely worth it for diagnostics. And you car is hardly a POS... congrats!
Thank you I'm looking a engine stuff now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by traveno View Post
Wow your shop looks great! That floor looks so nice, I'd have a hard time wrenching on my cars in there. Looks like a showroom floor. Well done.
Is that a blue MAC box I see in the background? I'm working out of a black and chrome MAC Tech-1000 right now. You're living my shop dream hahaha. One day!

Otherwise, welcome to the forum and you have a very nice Boxster there.
Thank you. The floor is getting dirty and scratches but I've got to make money. I do mop it with a 3 ft dust mop. I've had the toolbox for 25 yrs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 78F350 View Post
Be careful, Boxsters are know to multiply as well. It starts with "I could sure use a parts car." and grows from there.

Welcome to the forum.
I really like the Caymans but I happy with my little cheap ride.