Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-14-2020, 10:56 AM   #1

Headlight Assembly - Recommendations

Hi Folks,

On a recent night time drive, I drove through an area of the highway where there are no lights, and that is when it occurred to me that my head lights point WAY too low, resulting in poor visibility. For what it's worth, I drive mainly in the city, so there is always lighting everywhere.

So naturally, I tried to adjust the head light vertical aim as per the owner's manual, only to realize the 5mm plastic hex nut on the passenger side headlight assembly is stripped. The driver side is okay and can be adjusted no problems.

I am told one cannot simply replace the plastic hex nut, so the entire assembly needs to be replaced. These are the halogen (non-Litronic) headlight assemblies. Besides going to the dealer, has anyone had good experience on aftermarket or know who the OE supplier is for these headlight assemblies? I don't want LEDs or anything like that, just the regular ones that came from the factory. I've tried looking for used headlight assemblies, but most of them have that burnt portion.

I should also add, my driver side headlight assembly does not have the piece of plastic/stick with the lines on them - is this normal? Or is it some odd ball aftermarket piece? Thanks in advance!

Last edited by bcrdukes; 04-14-2020 at 11:12 AM. Reason: Typos
bcrdukes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2020, 01:13 PM   #2
2003 S, Arctic Silver, M6

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by bcrdukes View Post
Hi Folks,

So naturally, I tried to adjust the head light vertical aim as per the owner's manual, only to realize the 5mm plastic hex nut on the passenger side headlight assembly is stripped. The driver side is okay and can be adjusted no problems.
Are you talking about the 'nut' that releases the headlight from the fender? If so are you using the supplied 5mm wrench from the tool kit? If so try a 5mm socket instead. It may be the tool not the nut.

If this 'nut' is what you are referring to it is actually a bowed arm that is available separately. Here is a page from the PET with part number. If this isn't what you are talking about then never mind.
Attached Images
File Type: pdf Headlamp Assy.pdf (179.4 KB, 85 views)
paulofto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2020, 02:11 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulofto View Post
Are you talking about the 'nut' that releases the headlight from the fender?
I'm afraid not (and I wished that I did!)

I'm referring to the 5mm hex nut buried behind "B" in the diagram. I think I'm just going to have to bite the bullet and order a new headlight assembly from Porsche. Not cheap by any means. Ouch.
Old 04-14-2020, 05:07 PM   #4

the hex "nut" is not plastic... it's metal and steel IIRC. And it's an extension "arm".

Issue more than likely is your tool; they strip easily to prevent damage to the headlight unit. Try using a long nut driver or socket w/ extension (5mm rings a bell). Or you can always pop out entire headlight pod adjust w/ it removed as opposed to thru the portal.

If it was that discernible and you have never noticed before, I'd also check the bulbs to ensure all are functioning. In a 986 halogen system the hi / low / fog bulbs are all H7 (again IIRC).

Good luck
Old 04-14-2020, 06:56 PM   #5

I think bcrdukes is asking about the headlight level adjusters, not the release mechanism. The release mechanism is metal and a small six point socket, 5mm I think, works better for removing the headlight than the tool in the Boxster tool roll. The mechanisms for adjusting the headlight level are plastic or nylon, definitely not metal. I happen to have some headlight housings left over from a headlight project I did over the winter. Below are some pictures of what the adjustment mechanism looks like. The round white things on the side are what the allen wrench goes into to adjust the level. If the hex nut is stripped because the allen wrench just turns and the nut doesn't move, pop the headlight out of the car and stick a bigger allen wrench or slightly bigger screwdriver in that adjuster and make it turn. You'll be better able to see what you're doing by removing the headlight, but you'll have to take it out and put it in at least a couple of times to make the adjustment. If it's not the engagement of the allen wrench that is a problem, my guess is that if you open up the headlight, you'll see that something has jumped off track and you can get everything back where it needs to be to work.

Hopefully you don't need to take the headlight apart but if you do, Particlewave has some YouTube videos on how to open the headlgiht and reseal it here:

https://www.youtube.com/user/trimaxium/videos

If you're going to take the plunge and open the headlight, and need the adjuster mechanism, send me a PM and it's yours for the postage!

Former: 2003 S, 3.6 LN Nickies, ARP rod bolts, under-drive pulley, Fabspeed sport headers, Softronic tune, 987 airbox 987 motor mount, Function-First Sport motor mount insert, Ben's short shifter, Nine8Six projector headlights & center caps, ROW M030, stainless flexible brake lines, B-K rollbar extension & fire extinguisher mount, hardtop
PaulE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2020, 07:56 PM   #6

PaulE is correct!

I am referring to the headlight level adjuster as posted in his first picture. The hex nut is not stripped because I can turn it and feel the nut turning; It's just not engaging anything. If it means anything, to rule out it was not my Allen key, I used three different brands: Snap-On, Craftsman, and Toptul.

Let me goof around with the headlamp assembly first, and if all else fails, I may take you up on your kind offer.

Edit: I just saw particlewave's video - That was not for the faint of heart lol

Last edited by bcrdukes; 04-14-2020 at 08:01 PM.
bcrdukes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2020, 10:43 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulE View Post
I think bcrdukes is asking about the headlight level adjusters, not the release mechanism.
ah yes... my bad. My mind, after inhaling an afternoon's worth of exhaust from my power washer - LOL, 'read' something different - the usual headlight release problem.

Great catch, correction and solution offer.

Good luck to OP
Old 04-15-2020, 11:14 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcrdukes View Post
PaulE is correct!

I am referring to the headlight level adjuster as posted in his first picture. The hex nut is not stripped because I can turn it and feel the nut turning; It's just not engaging anything. If it means anything, to rule out it was not my Allen key, I used three different brands: Snap-On, Craftsman, and Toptul.

Let me goof around with the headlamp assembly first, and if all else fails, I may take you up on your kind offer.

Edit: I just saw particlewave's video - That was not for the faint of heart lol
Let me know if you need the parts. I was afraid of opening up a headlight at first. Particlewave built my Nine8Six projector kit and fixed them after a fender bender. But then last fall I needed another repair and decided to take the plunge. I did it successfully! It's hard but by no means impossible. And it's a lot cheaper than buying another headlight!
Former: 2003 S, 3.6 LN Nickies, ARP rod bolts, under-drive pulley, Fabspeed sport headers, Softronic tune, 987 airbox 987 motor mount, Function-First Sport motor mount insert, Ben's short shifter, Nine8Six projector headlights & center caps, ROW M030, stainless flexible brake lines, B-K rollbar extension & fire extinguisher mount, hardtop
PaulE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2020, 12:20 PM   #9
Racer Boy

If you do end up buying a new headlight, there are many sources other than dealers that are much, much less expensive. A few years ago, I replaced both of my headlight assemblies and at the time a vendor on Amazon was the best price.
Racer Boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2020, 02:22 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Racer Boy View Post
If you do end up buying a new headlight, there are many sources other than dealers that are much, much less expensive. A few years ago, I replaced both of my headlight assemblies and at the time a vendor on Amazon was the best price.
Did you purchase a specific brand? This is what I am looking for specifically. If you have a lead or link to this headlight you purchased, please let me know via PM. Thanks!