Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-28-2020, 11:54 AM   #141

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulofto View Post
Hey Traco, what beach and what part of Ireland is that? My wife and I toured your beautiful island in May 2018 and loved it!

PS one of our favourite spots was Ballyheigue and it's gorgeous beach.
That's a suburb of Dublin called Portmarnock. Most tourists never see this are just North of the city. There's a stretch from Howth to Malahide that is really scenic and Portmarnock is between the two.

2003 Boxster S, Seal Grey
Old 03-28-2020, 12:06 PM   #142
Porsche "Purist"

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by itsnotanova View Post
Splitting wood in March? Or is just a reason to drink Yuengling? I so miss that beer. I need someone with a Trans Am and a big rig to bring me a trailer of that beer to Texas. Shiner is good but Yuengling is better.
March is a great time to split wood, no mosquitoes, no sweat, all the racks are empty from burning wood since Halloween, no sun burn...

I never need an excuse to drink Yuengling. I usually buy 6 or 7 cases when I'm back in PA.

Owned and repaired Porsches since 1974. Porsche: It's not driving, it's therapy.

Last edited by Paul; 03-28-2020 at 12:13 PM.
Old 03-28-2020, 12:17 PM   #143
Racer Boy

Dubaday, at least it's coolant, and not oil!

What part of town do you live in? I don't think I've ever seen your black Boxster. I'm in Crown Hill, in between Ballard and Shoreline.
Old 03-28-2020, 12:42 PM   #144

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Allegro View Post
Your dad has good taste in cars. I take it he never had the coolant pipes pinned?
Thanks for the compliment, I'll let him know you said that.
Na, never even knew about "coolant pipes pinning" til today.

After removing a few things, the culprit is coolant pipe #5 on this video.
that thing was completely removed from the engine!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1UGLVJdHM28

I advised him to remove the motor and attend to all 8 coolant pipes, but he says it unnecessary...... #facepalm #shrugs

At least I convinced him to replace the coolant tank. It has to be the same one from factory, cause that s**t is beyond yellow.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Racer Boy View Post
Dubaday, at least it's coolant, and not oil!
What part of town do you live in? I don't think I've ever seen your black Boxster. I'm in Crown Hill, in between Ballard and Shoreline.
Oil would have been terrible....don't even want to think about what kind of job that would entail. I live in Seatac. The boxster is actually ocean blue metallic, swing around sometimes, I drive it everyday
2000 Boxster S, SPEC stage 1 clutch, Fabspeed sport headers, Fabspeed secondary cat deletes, Billy&Boat muffler, EVOM air intake, Ben006's Custom Short Shifter, Pedro's TechnoBrace, Eibach rear sway bar, De-snorkeled, Fred's custom projector HL
Old 03-28-2020, 12:43 PM   #145

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Traco View Post
That's a suburb of Dublin called Portmarnock. Most tourists never see this are just North of the city. There's a stretch from Howth to Malahide that is really scenic and Portmarnock is between the two.

Portmarnock is awesome! Played the old course a few times & the newer links course once. I really love the old course & highly recommend to everyone who golfs. The way the sea comes in there is really cool.

Fortunate to share this with my Dad & brother (wives as well, but they didn't golf). Our original dream trip was scheduled 9/12/01. 9/11 hit and no planes could fly. All of the places in Ireland stepped up & let us rebook without penalty within 12 months - did it late June '02. This situation has somewhat of an echo. This was the trip of my life so far and I've fortunately traveled widely. My best to the Irish from USA!
Old 03-28-2020, 02:12 PM   #146
WALDMEISTER

Garage
Yuengling looks almost asian to me, America's oldest Brewery...don't they all claim that?
The family name most likely used to be Jüngling = youngling / young man

cheers

Last edited by BRAN; 03-28-2020 at 02:14 PM.
Old 03-28-2020, 02:31 PM   #147
Porsche "Purist"

Garage
The story of Yuengling is the story of the American Spirit. It’s a tale of shared dreams, individual tenacity and an unwavering dedication to standards of quality. Like many American stories it starts amid the dreams of countless young immigrants looking for opportunity and emerges from the strength and will of one family determined to build their legacy in a new country. The story of America’s Oldest Brewery began when David G. Yuengling arrived from Wuerttemberg Germany to settle in the sleepy, coal-mining town of Pottsville, Pennsylvania.

https://www.yuengling.com/our-brewery/

Also they did not shutdown for prohibition (underground caves which are still in use today)

Owned and repaired Porsches since 1974. Porsche: It's not driving, it's therapy.

Last edited by Paul; 03-28-2020 at 02:46 PM.
Old 03-28-2020, 02:41 PM   #148

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul View Post
The story of Yuengling is the story of the American Spirit. It’s a tale of shared dreams, individual tenacity and an unwavering dedication to standards of quality. Like many American stories it starts amid the dreams of countless young immigrants looking for opportunity and emerges from the strength and will of one family determined to build their legacy in a new country. The story of America’s Oldest Brewery began when David G. Yuengling arrived from Wuerttemberg Germany to settle in the sleepy, coal-mining town of Pottsville, Pennsylvania.

https://www.yuengling.com/our-brewery/

Also they did not shutdown for prohibition (underground caves which are still in use today)
As I was reading this I thought, "This sounds like a marketing statement", then sure enough! I see the link below. I'm not a fan of Yuengling. Nothing against it, just personal taste.

I don't often drink beer, but when I do, it's Penn Pilsner. (See what I did there? ) Or Sam Adams.

Last edited by piper6909; 03-28-2020 at 02:46 PM.
Old 03-28-2020, 02:56 PM   #149
Porsche "Purist"

Garage
When I worked in Shiremanstown, Moes in Mechanicsburg had 50 cent drafts of Yuengling...

Old 03-28-2020, 03:21 PM   #150

Quote:
Originally Posted by barkinfool View Post
Portmarnock is awesome! Played the old course a few times & the newer links course once. I really love the old course & highly recommend to everyone who golfs. The way the sea comes in there is really cool.

Fortunate to share this with my Dad & brother (wives as well, but they didn't golf). Our original dream trip was scheduled 9/12/01. 9/11 hit and no planes could fly. All of the places in Ireland stepped up & let us rebook without penalty within 12 months - did it late June '02. This situation has somewhat of an echo. This was the trip of my life so far and I've fortunately traveled widely. My best to the Irish from USA!
Glad you enjoyed it. Old Portmarnock is a serious course. Still regularly in the news here as I still don't think they allow female members. Last I recall es sometime last year where they were reviewed it with their members but I think that's nearly an annual thing now.

We are close to the flight path and the current situation reminds me of 9/11 with virtually no planes flying.

As for beer we can't get Yeungling here but when I'm in SWFL it's my go to beer. Really good and a great price.
2003 Boxster S, Seal Grey
Old 03-28-2020, 03:53 PM   #151
Porsche "Purist"

Garage
For many years it was only available in PA, now it is moving West:

Old 03-28-2020, 04:46 PM   #152
1997 Tip, 2018 Macan

Garage
Quick run up San Antonio Canyon for some solitude. Apparently I was not the only one with that thought. Appeared to be a regular snow day on the mountain. +/- 100 cars parked between the end of the road and Falls Road.

Old 03-29-2020, 04:50 AM   #153

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul View Post
For many years it was only available in PA, now it is moving West:
I drank many pitchers of that stuff when I went to school in PA. I have a friend that keeps telling me he's going to send me a case of lager, scapple and some real perogies. I think I've seen it in Dallas and Houston. It's weird, I can get Alaskan amber easily but not Yuengling. What's the beer of choice up in Wisconsin?
Old 03-29-2020, 05:35 AM   #154

still working...

I'm a pharmacist so I'm still working a (more or less) normal schedule. Thankfully, the first wave of hysteria has passed and business has slowed considerably as people are taking Ohio's stay-at-home order seriously. We're still short of things like thermometers, hand sanitizer, rubbing alcohol, and toilet paper. The liquor isle is getting thin too...

We haven't had any confirmed COVID-19 cases is our town (yet) although my son the paramedic was quarantined for five days before the test of a patient he transported came back negative.

stay safe - dj

p.s. I changed the Boxster's water pump, thermostat, coolant, oil, & filter over the winter and am waiting nicer weather to wake it from hibernation.

Last edited by A 986 S; 03-29-2020 at 07:37 AM.
Old 03-29-2020, 08:25 AM   #155
2003 S, Arctic Silver, M6

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Traco View Post
Very cool. We spent a night in Malahide at the Grand Hotel before we flew home since it is relatively close to the airport. Very nice area and really enjoyed the town.
Old 03-29-2020, 09:55 AM   #156
Porsche "Purist"

Garage
Quote:
I drank many pitchers of that stuff when I went to school in PA. I have a friend that keeps telling me he's going to send me a case of lager, scapple and some real perogies. I think I've seen it in Dallas and Houston. It's weird, I can get Alaskan amber easily but not Yuengling. What's the beer of choice up in Wisconsin?
Miller products, but I think Old Fashions are even more popular.

I enjoy:

Old 03-29-2020, 10:01 AM   #157

Garage
Just mowed my lawn and my neighbors lawn. He's an ER Doctor and has been working a lot or overtime lately...
Thinking about washing the Boxster next.
Old 03-29-2020, 10:33 AM   #158
NewUserName

I am 72. Spent 16 months in Marines in Vietnam (4/68-8/69)
I have been near death 3 times:
Amebic Dysentery (was passing blood), blood poisoning (it had my whole right arm) in Vietnam, then sepsis (104.6 fever) from a biopsy a few years back - all from billions of things you can't see.
As an old male with Type A blood I am at a higher risk than most of you, but I feel the odds are very much in my favor if I listen to doctors and not to an Orange Moron.
I listen to Gov Cuomo's updates, and while I was not a fan of his, I find I am very impressed by his leadership.
It is night and day from the WH clown show where they stand shoulder-to-shoulder as they tell us to keep social distance, slathering praise on a moron and giving vague promises, as they have for weeks, of what they will deliver in the future.
I get out and walk a couple miles, haven't been to a store in over a week and half, and luckily have some immediate neighbors who aren't cultists, so we can talk (at six feet apart) and keep our sanity, since we all have family members lost to the cult, but none to the disease - yet.

I have been reading - a LOT - did you know the twine used to tie hay bales was made of Manila fiber from the Philippines and sisal fiber from Mexico (in the early 1900s at least, don't know about now) because they found crickets and grasshoppers wouldn't eat the twine made of those things....and in 1919 Chicago made enough of that twine to go around the earth 1,600 times.... my mind is nearly full....
Old 03-29-2020, 11:11 AM   #159

Quote:
Funny, I remember years ago we couldn't get Coors in PA. It was a big deal when it finally became available. Maybe one day Yuengling will eventually become available for you. Or maybe we can trade for Boxster parts?
Old 03-29-2020, 11:23 AM   #160

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoninDel View Post
I am 72. Spent 16 months in Marines in Vietnam (4/68-8/69)
I have been near death 3 times:
Amebic Dysentery (was passing blood), blood poisoning (it had my whole right arm) in Vietnam, then sepsis (104.6 fever) from a biopsy a few years back - all from billions of things you can't see.
As an old male with Type A blood I am at a higher risk than most of you, but I feel the odds are very much in my favor if I listen to doctors and not to an Orange Moron.
I listen to Gov Cuomo's updates, and while I was not a fan of his, I find I am very impressed by his leadership.
It is night and day from the WH clown show where they stand shoulder-to-shoulder as they tell us to keep social distance, slathering praise on a moron and giving vague promises, as they have for weeks, of what they will deliver in the future.
I get out and walk a couple miles, haven't been to a store in over a week and half, and luckily have some immediate neighbors who aren't cultists, so we can talk (at six feet apart) and keep our sanity, since we all have family members lost to the cult, but none to the disease - yet.

I have been reading - a LOT - did you know the twine used to tie hay bales was made of Manila fiber from the Philippines and sisal fiber from Mexico (in the early 1900s at least, don't know about now) because they found crickets and grasshoppers wouldn't eat the twine made of those things....and in 1919 Chicago made enough of that twine to go around the earth 1,600 times.... my mind is nearly full....
Thank you for your combat service.

p.s.
An excellent really outstanding presentation of the facts
regarding COVID-19 from one of South Korea's top doctors.
Bottomline.. this ain't over by a long shot.
https://youtu.be/gAk7aX5hksU

and for those who like to read what the doctors are discussing about the pandemic below is a great continuing education resource from Harvard Medical School.

https://postgraduateeducation.hms.harvard.edu/continuing-education/covid-19-continuing-education-activities

BORN: March 2000 - FINLAND
IMS#1 REPLACED: April 2010 - NEW JERSEY -- LNE DUAL ROW

Last edited by Perfectlap; 03-29-2020 at 12:51 PM.
Closed Thread