Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-13-2020, 11:59 PM   #1

Side windows are misting

I have a problem with my side air vents. They are giving very little air out of them, so it takes forever to get the mist away from the side windows. The ac gives nice warm air in all the other vents, so that is working.
I have checked the air flaps to be ok, so theh are open. Also checked that the air ducts under the dash is in place.

Any tips where to look for failures?

Last edited by Geir Nordvik; 03-14-2020 at 12:00 AM. Reason: Spelling
Geir Nordvik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2020, 04:54 AM   #2

If everything you say is good is good then listen for A/C compressor next. You should hear it 'click' on when clutch engages (w/ serpentine belt) when motor running and a/c on. If not clicking on, first spot to check then is refrigerant level...

If not enough refrigerant 'charge' it will be from another issue. It's a closed system and thus leaking... i.e. condenser/radiator puncture. HVAC blower still blows anytime system is on but (as you are experiencing) only ambient air if condenser is not running.
Any half decent shop will be able to test your refrigerant level first (DIY kits are available). If it's low they will add some w/ a dye to find source of leak. Do NOT just add more refrigerant as solution b/c again it's a closed loop system which is compromised somewhere.

If enough refrigerant the next spot to check is condenser. If it has sufficient voltage but not engaging then it is the issue. If not enough voltage then look to relay and fuse (which may be blown again b/c of issue w/ condenser).

Not many places to check... Good luck

Last edited by Burg Boxster; 03-14-2020 at 04:57 AM.
Burg Boxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2020, 05:06 AM   #3
Who's askin'?

Do a search for foam coming from your air vents. This will explain to you a very, VERY common problem that results in the inability to direct the air anywhere specific.... meaning it's always being distributed everywhere..... resulting in very low air flow anywhere.
I'd think it very likely this is your problem. You may not see foam bits simply because it's all gone!

It's really unlikely it's anything to do with refrigerant or compressor, as that has zero bearing on air volume, only air temperature.

Let us know what you find?

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk
maytag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2020, 05:32 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by maytag View Post
Do a search for foam coming from your air vents. This will explain to you a very, VERY common problem that results in the inability to direct the air anywhere specific.... meaning it's always being distributed everywhere..... resulting in very low air flow anywhere.
I'd think it very likely this is your problem. You may not see foam bits simply because it's all gone!

It's really unlikely it's anything to do with refrigerant or compressor, as that has zero bearing on air volume, only air temperature.

Let us know what you find?

While I agree that it's most likely the infamous "foam bits" issue, the A/C does also play a critical role in defogging, as it pulls moisture from the air. If you may have noticed, every time you put a car in defrost mode, it always turns on the A/C compressor (unless it's a classic car that never had A/C).

Also, it doesn't really take much airflow to defog the side windows, but having dry air critical. So checking the function of the A/C system does apply here, as well as checking the foam baffles.
piper6909 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2020, 05:53 AM   #5
Who's askin'?

Quote:
Originally Posted by piper6909 View Post
While I agree that it's most likely the infamous "foam bits" issue, the A/C does also play a critical role in defogging, as it pulls moisture from the air. If you may have noticed, every time you put a car in defrost mode, it always turns on the A/C compressor (unless it's a classic car that never had A/C).

Also, it doesn't really take much airflow to defog the side windows, but having dry air critical. So checking the function of the A/C system does apply here, as well as checking the foam baffles.
I'll stand corrected.
As soon as I confirm it's true. HAHAHAHA.

in Utah, "pulling moisture from the air" isn't a thing. ;-)

But I'll believe you.

maytag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2020, 08:07 AM   #6

Thanks for all input so far. I am not sure if the A/C has something to do with it, since the heat is ok. Problem is missing air circulation at the side vents. The windshield has a lot of air, so no problem with fogging there. The upper vents in the middle blows ok as well.
Maybe this missing foam thing could be an issue. Have not seen any foam in the vent in my ownership.
Where can I check to foam situation? And can it be fixed if this is the failure?
Old 03-14-2020, 08:12 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by maytag View Post
I'll stand corrected.
As soon as I confirm it's true. HAHAHAHA.

in Utah, "pulling moisture from the air" isn't a thing. ;-)

But I'll believe you.

"Trust, but verify", man! I get it!

Check any modern car. Put it in defrost mode and check the A/C compressor. It will be running. At the very least, it will run intermittently.

BTW, I can't even imagine how heavenly it would be to work on older cars that spent their life in a dry place like Utah. Here in the Rust Belt, rusty bolts are the way of life.

Last edited by piper6909; 03-14-2020 at 08:26 AM.
Old 03-14-2020, 08:17 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geir Nordvik View Post
Thanks for all input so far. I am not sure if the A/C has something to do with it, since the heat is ok. Problem is missing air circulation at the side vents. The windshield has a lot of air, so no problem with fogging there. The upper vents in the middle blows ok as well.
Maybe this missing foam thing could be an issue. Have not seen any foam in the vent in my ownership.
Where can I check to foam situation? And can it be fixed if this is the failure?
Unfortunately, if the baffles have missing foam, it's very difficult to fix. The proper fix would be to remove the dash and heater box.

People on here have posted shortcuts, by cutting into the heater box.

There are some good links in this thread:
http://986forum.com/forums/performance-technical-chat/42802-interior-vent-debris-6.html
Old 03-14-2020, 09:38 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by piper6909 View Post
Unfortunately, if the baffles have missing foam, it's very difficult to fix. The proper fix would be to remove the dash and heater box.

People on here have posted shortcuts, by cutting into the heater box.

There are some good links in this thread:
http://986forum.com/forums/performance-technical-chat/42802-interior-vent-debris-6.html
Thanks.
I have done some searching. It seems that it is quite possible to reach the flap and take it out from the front trunk. If the foam are gone on mine as well, it should then be an easy task to glue some new foam back.
Seems like the attached file describes the job quite good.
Attached Images
File Type: pdf 986 Heater Flap Repair_small.pdf (161.3 KB, 171 views)