Go Back   986 Forum - for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-22-2020, 09:25 AM   #1
01 Basalt Metallic 986
 
JimmyBad's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2018
Location: Austin, TX
Posts: 171
Garage
Speechless





More picture in the website.

https://delessencedansmesveines.com/2017/09/porsche-italsteelart-boxster-356-retromod/

JimmyBad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2020, 10:00 AM   #2
WALDMEISTER
 
BRAN's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: Germany
Posts: 1,139
Garage
speechless...kinda - some design ideas are logical to me - others just not executed with 100% passion (just using available, but unmodded parts)
- side alu trims are too short
- trunk grill not modded to match the logical lines
- reflectors and fog lights too flimsy
- interior not consequently matched...plastic instead of burl Wood, looks more like an Alpha interior
and and and...but that is just the opinion of another designer...me
I like their guts to do a Retro mod, and overall it is very interesting…
still thumbs up from me...though most people will consider their retromod a sacrilege
__________________
Original Owner | PORSCHE Boxster 2.7L (MY01) | Seal Gray
BRAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2020, 10:32 AM   #3
TRP
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2019
Location: California
Posts: 149
okay... so... as an owner of both a Speedster and a Boxster... I'm gonna pass. Hard pass.

Do kind of dig the mat-silver and you *have* to appreciate the body work necessary to blend the metal work on the head/tail lights.

Common issue with the replica fuchs is the paint job. They need to paint the petals properly.





Yes... I have a problem.
TRP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2020, 11:44 AM   #4
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Orange County, CA
Posts: 1,438
I really like how the Fuchs look on the Boxter, but lowered a bit perhaps?
Gilles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2020, 05:10 PM   #5
Artist, 986S tinkerer
 
NewArt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Montreal, Canada
Posts: 1,716
Obviously the reviewer in the original post (in French) was not a fan! Personally, I like the concept although I don't really approve of add-on doodads that serve no purpose. It is fun to see people personalise and play with the design of the 986 which, quite frankly, one can pick up for peanuts these days. I do love the paint (wrap?) on this car though!
__________________
James
2004 986 S
987 air intake TB and plenum, Mantissport 2 litre sump, UDP, Bilstein B6 with H&R lowering spings, re71-rs for track, other stuff.
https://www.youtube.com/user/12shoes2
NewArt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2020, 06:59 PM   #6
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Ohio
Posts: 1,802
Quote:
Originally Posted by TRP View Post

Common issue with the replica fuchs is the paint job. They need to paint the petals properly.
Forgive my ignorance...what are "petals", and how are they painted...and how SHOULD they be painted...and why?? Sorry, just wanna know..
Frodo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2020, 08:27 PM   #7
Who's askin'?
 
maytag's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2018
Location: Utah
Posts: 2,217
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewArt View Post
Obviously the reviewer in the original post (in French) was not a fan! Personally, I like the concept although I don't really approve of add-on doodads that serve no purpose. It is fun to see people personalise and play with the design of the 986 which, quite frankly, one can pick up for peanuts these days. I do love the paint (wrap?) on this car though!
You mean "...Qu’est ce que c’est moche !"
Hahaha


Yeah, I'm not a fan. Wasn't a year ago when this was posted here, either.

I do love that people do what they want to do to their cars. And when the quality is high, even better. But I prefer form to follow function, and not vice versa.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk
maytag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2020, 09:28 PM   #8
01 Basalt Metallic 986
 
JimmyBad's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2018
Location: Austin, TX
Posts: 171
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by maytag View Post
"Yeah, I'm not a fan. Wasn't a year ago when this was posted here, either.
My bad. Haven’t been active in the forums much lately, thought I owed some activity.
JimmyBad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2020, 09:31 PM   #9
Who's askin'?
 
maytag's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2018
Location: Utah
Posts: 2,217
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimmyBad View Post
My bad. Haven’t been active in the forums much lately, thought I owed some activity.
No, I didn't mean it like that. Sorry.

I've zero problem with the thread.

I merely meant that the car isn't growing on me, like some things do.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk
maytag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2020, 04:58 AM   #10
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Ohio
Posts: 1,802
Pedals??
We're talking pedals? Here I'm looking for flowers on the damn thing and we're talking pedals. I guess. My bad...PUI again

And nope, not growing on me either!
Frodo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2020, 05:50 AM   #11
Who's askin'?
 
maytag's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2018
Location: Utah
Posts: 2,217
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frodo View Post
Pedals??

We're talking pedals? Here I'm looking for flowers on the damn thing and we're talking pedals. I guess. My bad...PUI again



And nope, not growing on me either!
No, I think you were right.
I think the "spokes" on Fuchs wheels were referred to as petals. As in.... flower petals.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk
maytag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2020, 06:00 AM   #12
Registered User
 
jaykay's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: toronto
Posts: 2,493
My eyes!!! Nein, nein, nein!
__________________
00 986 S....with a few tweaks
jaykay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2020, 06:04 AM   #13
1202021
 
piper6909's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2019
Location: PA
Posts: 1,248
I don't like it either. Among the many things that I don't like about it is the way they tucked in the fenders to hug the headlights. Now the fenders don't flow into the bumper cover. The bumped cover jets out about 1/2", if not more, where it meets up with the fender.


:EDIT: I just had mine out today and realized that the bumper cover has a small bump out where it meets the fender. I didn't notice that before. But somehow it doesn't look out of place like it does with the modified lights/fenders.

Last edited by piper6909; 02-23-2020 at 11:57 AM.
piper6909 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2020, 08:59 AM   #14
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Ohio
Posts: 1,802
Quote:
Originally Posted by maytag View Post
No, I think you were right.
I think the "spokes" on Fuchs wheels were referred to as petals. As in.... flower petals.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk
Ah, no kiddin'?
So I shoulda stuck with my original, pale ale-influenced post.
Had no idea. Learn something every day, a good thing.
Frodo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2020, 10:14 AM   #15
Registered User
 
Beelzy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: California
Posts: 144
Ok, that hurt.
Beelzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2020, 04:30 PM   #16
TRP
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2019
Location: California
Posts: 149
Yes, they are some times referred to as petals.

If you look here the angles petals are shaped all wrong. The black background color comes up too high on the sides and the edges go nearly all the way out tot he edge/lip.



And the damn center caps look like they were printed and taped on / or a sticker.

I have seen a few folks paint reproductions to be more inline with shape of the originals. Notice how the side of the petals (spokes) has some of the aluminium showing? The black doesn't rise up so high. And the black separates the end of the spoke (petals) from the lip a bit more.

Original Fuchs:




Here is an example of how wrong the replica Fuchs often look:



Simply reshaping the mask of the petals makes all the difference:



The last two photos are off my friends replica 356.

Last edited by TRP; 02-23-2020 at 05:01 PM.
TRP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2020, 07:51 PM   #17
01 Basalt Metallic 986
 
JimmyBad's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2018
Location: Austin, TX
Posts: 171
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by TRP View Post
Here is an example of how wrong the replica Fuchs often look:



Simply reshaping the mask of the petals makes all the difference:



The last two photos are off my friends replica 356.
Interesting... I will be inspecting every Fuchs wheels I see from now on.
JimmyBad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2020, 07:21 PM   #18
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2017
Location: CO
Posts: 985
Quote:
Originally Posted by TRP View Post
okay... so... as an owner of both a Speedster and a Boxster... I'm gonna pass. Hard pass.

Do kind of dig the mat-silver and you *have* to appreciate the body work necessary to blend the metal work on the head/tail lights.

Common issue with the replica fuchs is the paint job. They need to paint the petals properly.





Yes... I have a problem.
I have to say I don't get jealous often... That second pic hits that button! Sweet. Jelly for sure!

Geof3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On




All times are GMT -8. The time now is 03:03 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0
Copyright 2018 Pelican Parts, LLC - Posts may be archived for display on the Pelican Parts Website -    DMCA Registered Agent Contact Page