Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-15-2020, 03:24 PM   #1

How Difficult to R & R Air Box

I want to get to Fuel injectors and rails,harness Etc So Is it really hard to R&R the Air Box,..from the cold air intake and 987 air box mods..its said its a real pain ? Thanks Frank

flmont is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2020, 03:26 PM   #2
Who's askin'?

Quote:
Originally Posted by flmont View Post
I want to get to Fuel injectors and rails,harness Etc So Is it really hard to R&R the Air Box,..from the cold air intake and 987 air box mods..its said its a real pain ? Thanks Frank
Yes.... serious pain in the arse. Im not sure i'd do it again without lowering the motor first.

Seriously; it's that bad.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk
maytag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2020, 03:34 PM   #3
Certified Boxster Addict

Quote:
So Is it really hard to R&R the Air Box,..its said its a real pain
Its a real wrestling match and I got my ass kicked.

Like you, I wanted to get to the injectors and fuel rails. I spent hours removing everything that I could to get enough room and was still never able to get the stock airbox out. In the end, I gave up on the airbox and just removed the injectors with the air box still in there. I hate that f%&*cking thing.

Final Score
Stock air box = 1
Stone = 0
1997 Spec Boxster BSR #254
1979 911 SC
POC Licensed DE/TT Instructor
thstone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2020, 05:30 PM   #4

Oh Wow,..That's disappointing ok,..well maybe Ill pull the Intake instead I have the 2 center pieces out anyway so 6 more bolts I think...Thanks Frank
Old 02-16-2020, 08:20 AM   #5

I am about to install a 911 plenum and 3 inch silicone hose section a new "cold air intake" with an inline air canister filter... from what i have read is that it is nearly impossible to salvage the 986 box and the easiest way since i do not plan on putting it back ever again is take vice grips and break the box in sections till you can get to the bolts. Takes about 15 minutes and I am salvaging the MAF sensor tube so that is the only area i need to be careful around.
aparke4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2020, 10:02 AM   #6
Who's askin'?

Quote:
Originally Posted by aparke4 View Post
I am about to install a 911 plenum and 3 inch silicone hose section a new "cold air intake" with an inline air canister filter... from what i have read is that it is nearly impossible to salvage the 986 box and the easiest way since i do not plan on putting it back ever again is take vice grips and break the box in sections till you can get to the bolts. Takes about 15 minutes and I am salvaging the MAF sensor tube so that is the only area i need to be careful around.
Are you planning to use the 986 MAF housing with your new plenum? Are you staying stock tb?

Old 02-17-2020, 08:40 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by maytag View Post
Are you planning to use the 986 MAF housing with your new plenum? Are you staying stock tb?

Yes keeping stock MAF housing/ cutting right up to stock air box for use with rest of 3 inch piping (there are some aftermarket alum MAF housing kits but i found a lot of mixed reviews on the quality of the alum)... and I have a cayman/ 911 (996) TB that is 74mm i believe that bolts onto the plenum.

I am also installing a oil catch can in the trunk in line with the stock AOS (replacing that as well for prev. main.) as my boxster just crossed 96k (2002 S)
Old 02-17-2020, 08:44 AM   #8

You can see here where to cut up against box... the only thing i might add is a honey comb inset to protect MAF... also installing a new MAF (bosch/ OEM) again for maintenance... need a tune or remap to tie it all together!
Old 02-17-2020, 09:13 AM   #9
Who's askin'?

Quote:
Yes keeping stock MAF housing/ cutting right up to stock air box for use with rest of 3 inch piping (there are some aftermarket alum MAF housing kits but i found a lot of mixed reviews on the quality of the alum)... and I have a cayman/ 911 (996) TB that is 74mm i believe that bolts onto the plenum.

I am also installing a oil catch can in the trunk in line with the stock AOS (replacing that as well for prev. main.) as my boxster just crossed 96k (2002 S)
If your intake tube/ plenum and TB are all breathing through a smaller-diameter MAF housing (the OEM MAF hsng) you may be disappointed. Have you considered that?

I'm all about the mod, don't misunderstand. But I'm not sure it makes a ton of sense to do what is clearly a PITA mod, just to neck-it-down and let it keep breathing through the OEM MAF Housing.

If you increase the volume on the front end, then neck-it-down at the MAF, you may get some increased velocity over the MAF. But then you dump it back out into a larger-volume space (your larger plenum), you'll find reduced volume AND velocity. And likely some unwanted turbulence as well, right in front of your TB.

just food for thought.
Old 02-17-2020, 01:28 PM   #10
1998 Boxster Silver/Red

That pipe/hose coming out the bottom of the housing...

What is that for? To what is connected? What is the purpose of it?

Thank you.
Old 02-17-2020, 04:32 PM   #11
Who's askin'?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Starter986 View Post
That pipe/hose coming out the bottom of the housing...

What is that for? To what is connected? What is the purpose of it?

Thank you.
Drain

Old 02-17-2020, 10:03 PM   #12

Is it possible to loosen the bolts on the air box to then move it around enough to get to the fuel rail,.?? Thanks
Old 02-17-2020, 10:10 PM   #13
Who's askin'?

Quote:
Is it possible to loosen the bolts on the air box to then move it around enough to get to the fuel rail,.?? Thanks
I.d say yes, since I had the fuel rail unbolted and was moving it around as I was trying to get the airbox out.

Old 02-18-2020, 04:14 AM   #14
1998 Boxster Silver/Red

Quote:
Drain

. . .

Thanks!
Old 02-18-2020, 10:56 AM   #15

Quote:
If your intake tube/ plenum and TB are all breathing through a smaller-diameter MAF housing (the OEM MAF hsng) you may be disappointed. Have you considered that?

I'm all about the mod, don't misunderstand. But I'm not sure it makes a ton of sense to do what is clearly a PITA mod, just to neck-it-down and let it keep breathing through the OEM MAF Housing.

If you increase the volume on the front end, then neck-it-down at the MAF, you may get some increased velocity over the MAF. But then you dump it back out into a larger-volume space (your larger plenum), you'll find reduced volume AND velocity. And likely some unwanted turbulence as well, right in front of your TB.

just food for thought.
Great point! I was under the assumption the MAF housing matched the 74mm TB/ should be right at 3 inches. Is the stock MAF housing on the air box smaller?
Old 02-19-2020, 05:13 AM   #16

is loosening the air box the best way to remove and replace the injectors,..Iam pulling them for testing.? Thanks
Old 02-19-2020, 05:43 AM   #17
Who's askin'?

Quote:
Great point! I was under the assumption the MAF housing matched the 74mm TB/ should be right at 3 inches. Is the stock MAF housing on the air box smaller?
Yes.
I don't remember the actual measurements I took as I was assembling, but the O.D. of the 986 MAF housing is the same size as the I.D. of the larger intake & TB.

So then you're faced with a dilemma: use the 986 MAF anyway, which negates the benefit you've tried to create. Or use the 987 MAF housing, which is what I've done. I'm not yet 100% certain I'm glad I did. This spring I'm going to go get a flash to an '04 anniversary edition, which used the larger MAF housing. I'm hoping that'll cure some things. It definitely runs fat right now, and I'm hoping that cures it.
Otherwise, this gets chalked-up as "modifications for the fun of modifying". Hehe

Old 02-19-2020, 02:25 PM   #18

Quote:
Yes.
I don't remember the actual measurements I took as I was assembling, but the O.D. of the 986 MAF housing is the same size as the I.D. of the larger intake & TB.

So then you're faced with a dilemma: use the 986 MAF anyway, which negates the benefit you've tried to create. Or use the 987 MAF housing, which is what I've done. I'm not yet 100% certain I'm glad I did. This spring I'm going to go get a flash to an '04 anniversary edition, which used the larger MAF housing. I'm hoping that'll cure some things. It definitely runs fat right now, and I'm hoping that cures it.
Otherwise, this gets chalked-up as "modifications for the fun of modifying". Hehe

Yes it does- I need a remap as well... just one more thing to add to the list of fun mods!

Thanks for the info^