Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-05-2020, 11:03 AM   #21
Who's askin'?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Starter986 View Post
You see... my wife believed the Porsche to be too flashy... too lofty for what she believed her station in life to be. I told her that one, it's a 98... it's not a supercar. Two, I told her that she... we... earned it. We work hard. We play hard. Kids are raised... and we've 8 grandkids between us. She intimated she felt some guilt because there are others who are less fortunate than us. I told her, "Ignore the guilt, take your turn". Matter of fact, I had that statement engraved into a 1x2 inch metal nameplate now adhered to the bottom of the center console so that, if she feels a pang of guilt, she can be reminded that it's her "turn".
doood.....
at the risk of hijacking another thread: I LOVE this!
If I USE it.... and do likewise.... am I required to give you some sort of attribution? haha.
I'm not sure a 1"x2" metal plaque will hold:
Ignore the Guilt... take your turn.
attr: Starter986, 986Forum.com

maytag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2020, 11:11 AM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by maytag View Post
It's me he's upset at. Starter got caught in the crosshairs through association. haha.

It started in this thread:
http://986forum.com/forums/boxster-cayman-parts-sale-wanted/77114-wtb-2003-engine-intake-vents.html

He (BYProvider) felt like the first two posted replies were "rudely irrelevant", as he stated in another thread he started, asking the mods to remove them.

And then I antagonized him. I did. The part of me that always says "sometimes mean is still funny" came out. and I forgot that my kids always remind me "yeah Dad, and sometimes funny is still mean".

I've since made an effort through PM's to be somewhat conciliatory, and he has confirmed there that his issues with me go far beyond that thread. Which seems obvious. I don't know what the issues are, but I absolutely believe him that I've offended him... especially since he started poking at me.

I think we should let this sleeping dog lie. Or this dead horse rot, or whatever. It serves nobody and nothing to "get to the bottom of it".

I pledge to be really super-careful whenever BYProvider is posting, so as not to step on his hoo-hah. He has valuable knowledge that serves this forum, but so what... even if he didn't, this should remain a fun place for him to be.
Wow. I don't see what you did to provoke post #7, but it sure went off the rails fast!

Hey, BYP: A suggestion from an impartial observer here. If Maytag apologized, accept it and move on. Heck, at least you got an apology. I've clashed with Maytag and Starter, among others, and never got any apologies and I let it go! Actually I did get an apology from one member. Either way, I'm still cool with them all. I don't know if they're all cool with me, though. haha!

Just a suggestion.

I'm staying out of this now.

Hey Fiddledog, care to share your popcorn?
piper6909 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2020, 12:11 PM   #23

I used to get in a lot of trouble with the owner of the KLR forum. Cussed him out one time about guns. Learned long ago to NEVER post anything when I was drinking. Sober posting has resulted in the mild mannered bloke that I am today. I've mentioned before that Raby-esque built motors are lovely and I'd really like one, but they aren't at all in my price neighborhood. I may have offended the original poster, for that I am repentant and sorrowful. Peace?
Brian in Tucson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2020, 12:28 PM   #24
1998 Boxster Silver/Red

Quote:
doood.....
at the risk of hijacking another thread: I LOVE this!
If I USE it.... and do likewise.... am I required to give you some sort of attribution? haha.
I'm not sure a 1"x2" metal plaque will hold:
Ignore the Guilt... take your turn.
attr: Starter986, 986Forum.com
Name:  20200205_132111.jpg
Views: 327
Size:  203.8 KB

Attribution to Mr. Mustaine.

Old 02-05-2020, 12:30 PM   #25
1998 Boxster Silver/Red

Quote:
Originally Posted by piper6909 View Post
...and Starter, among others, and never got any apologies and I let it go!
Dude!

https://youtu.be/B5-8_1uCzR8

Sorry, I've no LOVE emoticons.
Old 02-05-2020, 12:38 PM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Starter986 View Post
Dude!

https://youtu.be/B5-8_1uCzR8

Sorry, I've no LOVE emoticons.
Haha!
Old 02-05-2020, 02:22 PM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian in Tucson View Post
Learned long ago to NEVER post anything when I was drinking. Sober posting has resulted in the mild mannered bloke that I am today.
Great googly-moogly, has this ever gotten my butt into trouble.
You’d think I’d learn, but no. Haven’t quit doing it. Drinkin’. Or subsequent, alcohol-fired posting*

*Actually once got fired from a job this way. Got home at the end of a tough day, pissed. Don’t even remember exactly at what, but had myself a couple remedial brewskis. Next thing you know, I’m at the keyboard, bangin’ out an email to my boss about how I thought she needed to amend how things got done there. It was all totally justified commentary—I swear!—done reasonably tactfully (esp considering my state of mind). Took another swill, hit “Send.”

She never was very good at taking constructive criticism…got fired in the return email a few minutes later. I was okay with that. It was crazy, the aforementioned boss (‘Wendy’) fired people left and right. Place was a revolving door. I’ve talked to a few of the others. We keep thinking we all need to get together for drinks, maybe annually, the I-too-was-fired-by-Wendy club. It could be a sizable gathering. There’d be lots of ridiculously funny stories..
Frodo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2020, 06:38 PM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frodo View Post
You’d think I’d learn, but no. Haven’t quit doing it. Drinkin’. Or subsequent, alcohol-fired posting*

*Actually once got fired from a job this way. Got home at the end of a tough day, pissed. Don’t even remember exactly at what, but had myself a couple remedial brewskis. Next thing you know, I’m at the keyboard, bangin’ out an email to my boss about how I thought she needed to amend how things got done there. It was all totally justified commentary—I swear!—done reasonably tactfully (esp considering my state of mind). Took another swill, hit “Send.”

She never was very good at taking constructive criticism…got fired in the return email a few minutes later. I was okay with that. It was crazy, the aforementioned boss (‘Wendy’) fired people left and right. Place was a revolving door. I’ve talked to a few of the others. We keep thinking we all need to get together for drinks, maybe annually, the I-too-was-fired-by-Wendy club. It could be a sizable gathering. There’d be lots of ridiculously funny stories..
Are you a legend at your former work place? I worked for almost 35 yrs at a famous insurance company in Omaha (who hosted a famous TV show, hint, hint). There is a story about a guy who was having a bad morning. He went out for lunch and never came back. His last name was Warden. He's famous (or infamous?) because anytime there was a nice day and someone might take vacation, we joked it was a high Warden index day. He was gone for decades but his legacy lived on.

I almost got fired for an email to my boss. It was common place to get a new mgr about every 3 yrs. The one I had at this particular time wasn't very good but I figured I'd wait her out til the next musical chairs. One of the cloud thinkers came up with an idea to not schedule any mtgs on Fri in his area. My mgr thought that sounded like a good idea and asked our team if we should buy in. All the butt sniffers were saying it was a great idea. I applied some logic to the situation and asked if we were going to have 20% fewer mtgs or were we going to schedule over lunch hrs and late afternoons on Mon-Thu to make up for Fri? We had flextime and I chose to come to work early, but no one ever came in for an early mtg and no one was to question attendance to a late afternoon mtg. My logic pi$$ed off my mgr. She pulled me into a conf room and said I was "this close" to being written up by HR. She showed my email to several mgrs and they all were shocked. Made me re-evaluate the content of my emails before hitting send. My mgr and I patched things up and got along great, but it took a while.
2008 Boxster S Limited Edition #005
2008 Cayman S Sport - Signal Green
1989 928 S4 5 spd - black
1987 928 S4 - Granite Green Metallic (Felsengrun)

Last edited by husker boxster; 02-05-2020 at 06:44 PM.
husker boxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2020, 06:49 PM   #29
Who's askin'?

I've got an employee who has quit many times, via text, Facebook, email and phone. All while drunk.... and all forgotten when he showed up for work the next morning.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk
Old 02-06-2020, 02:06 PM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by husker boxster View Post
Are you a legend at your former work place? I worked for almost 35 yrs at a famous insurance company in Omaha (who hosted a famous TV show, hint, hint). There is a story about a guy who was having a bad morning. He went out for lunch and never came back. His last name was Warden. He's famous (or infamous?) because anytime there was a nice day and someone might take vacation, we joked it was a high Warden index day. He was gone for decades but his legacy lived on.
A legend? Hero for a day? Doubt it, but who knows—never set foot in the place again. I thoroughly doubt I attained “Warden status.” I’ve been working as an independent contractor these last few years—and I was only at this place one day a week. If I did so, it was short-lived, just until the next axing took place

BTW, I LOVED that show…”Here’s Jim, hanging off the side of a moving Jeep, attempting to lasso, then wrestle that water buffalo to the ground..”

Quote:
I've got an employee who has quit many times, via text, Facebook, email and phone. All while drunk.... and all forgotten when he showed up for work the next morning.

Hey, you guys are in UTAH...you're not allowed to drink there are you??
Old 02-06-2020, 04:41 PM   #31
Who's askin'?

Yeah so, I don't mean to Stir the poop or anything, but this thread about how rude it is to hijack threads has really been hijacked!

Old 02-06-2020, 05:04 PM   #32

Yeah, all we need now is someone to inject politics into the conversation!
Old 02-06-2020, 09:38 PM   #33
Certified Boxster Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by piper6909 View Post
Yeah, all we need now is someone to inject politics into the conversation!
Naw, if we're gonna do it, let's do it right - let's talk about IMS bearings, oil, and tires!
1997 Spec Boxster BSR #254
1979 911 SC
POC Licensed DE/TT Instructor
thstone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2020, 03:19 AM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by thstone View Post
Naw, if we're gonna do it, let's do it right - let's talk about IMS bearings, oil, and tires!
That's TOO contentious! Even for me! HAHA!
Old 02-07-2020, 07:02 AM   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by thstone View Post
... let's talk about IMS ...
IMS as in Innovative Market Systems aka Bloomberg terminals?

@Starter986 & @Piper6909 - see what I did there?

Old 02-07-2020, 09:07 AM   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frodo View Post

Sometimes, bridges need burning!
Old 02-07-2020, 10:01 AM   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finnegan View Post
Sometimes, bridges need burning!
Truer words have never been spoken.
I knew we were potentially headed in that direction at the time, and I was fine with that.
I just kinda sped things up—appreciably—with that email.
Crossed that bridge, liberally sprinkling accelerant as I walked. Then she lit the match, and (poof!) that was that!
Old 02-07-2020, 12:23 PM   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burg Boxster View Post
IMS as in Innovative Market Systems aka Bloomberg terminals?

@Starter986 & @Piper6909 - see what I did there?

I approve!