Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-01-2020, 09:51 PM   #1

Driver Side Headlight Out. Need Recommendation

Hello all,
I have a 1997 Boxster 986 with a broken driver side headlight. No issue on passenger headlight. It seems the entire headlight assembly is out. No headlights or turn signal. I tried to remove and reinstall a few times to see if that would resolve issue. How can I test or confirm without purchasing a new headlight? Appreciate any recommendation.

apvega is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2020, 07:05 AM   #2

I recommend that you take a look at this post:

http://986forum.com/forums/boxster-general-discussions/52524-headlamp-connector-socket-pin-help.html

It shows the pin assignment on the headlight. Use the ground (-) from a 12-volt power source to connect to the ground. Then use the power (+) from the 12-volt source to connect to each power pin. (I use a 12-volt power source that I removed from a broken personal computer for this type of work, but you could also use a car battery.)

If the headlight works, the problem is either in the way the headlight is seating or somewhere in the car wiring or the headlight switch.

If the lights don't work off of the 12-volt source, the problem might be in the internal wiring of the headlight. German cars from this era used a biodegradable wire insulation which fails fairly often. You can find some information on this post: http://986forum.com/forums/boxster-general-discussions/54697-advice-used-litronics.html

Painted Bumperettes, 2004 (OEM) Top, Homelink integrated in dash with Targa switch, 997 Shifter, Carrera Gauge Cluster with silver gauge faces, heated 12-way driver & 8-way passenger seats, Litronics, silver console
KevinH1990 is offline   Reply With Quote