Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-26-2020, 11:31 PM   #21

Garage
I used a flue tape (aluminium tape) to cover the flaps and cut made. I got it at the hardware store, they had a couple types. I choose the highest temp that was in stock. I had to cut strips like mentioned previously and fish them down the vent to cover the doors. It takes a bit of patience since you will be placing the tape by feel. You can't see ******************** once you stick a hand down there. Haha.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Old 01-28-2020, 08:19 PM   #22
Who's askin'?

Quote:
Originally Posted by dghii View Post
You'll fret about it longer than it will take! All in all, I'd say less than an hour, including R/R of the radio.

I used an oscillating tool to cut the flap and a decent quality duct tape to cover the flaps. The tape takes a little playing with to get it in place. I cut multiple pieces for each flap. There may be a better choice for covering material but doing any of them will be a huge improvement in heater performance.

I also used the same duct tape to reseal the flap I'd initially cut. I done this procedure in a 986 and 996 and appreciate the original post that let us all in on the secret!

Disclaimer: I live in NW FL...our winters are mild, yet we do need heat in our cars off and on for a few months. I can't say for sure the heater is effective as it was when new, or repaired by other methods. I can say it sure is good enough for temperatures down to freezing.
Yeah, so...... I did this procedure tonight. I think I was closer to 3 hours, than 1. But most of that can probably be attributed to my banana hands. [Edit] I just realized I'm being too hard on myself; in that three hours I also removed the shifter assembly and disassembled it, because I found one of the bearings from the new side lever for my Ben's short shifter on the carpet. Reassembled, reinstalled, adjusted, and then went to work on the A/C door project.[/edit]

The flap broke off as I was bending it backwards. And I ended- up tearing the crap out of my hands and forearms, just trying to get the tape onto the doors.

All in all though, it works really, really well now. Pretty happy with that.

Last edited by maytag; 01-28-2020 at 08:54 PM.
maytag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2020, 07:20 AM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by maytag View Post
The flap broke off as I was bending it backwards.
Was the air temp cold? Do you think warming it with a heat gun even a hair dryer would have helped?
Old 01-29-2020, 07:23 AM   #24

Took a few weeks for my hands and forearms to recover from the beating they took getting this done, but it works great now and no more foam! I did this front one and they one behind it. Many thanks to this forum for the guidance.
dsallean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2020, 09:52 AM   #25
Who's askin'?

Quote:
Originally Posted by clickman View Post
Was the air temp cold? Do you think warming it with a heat gun even a hair dryer would have helped?
Yup.... and prolly. ;-)

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

maytag is offline   Reply With Quote