Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-10-2006, 05:55 PM   #1
boggtown

Need Help: Short Shifter

Ok, so I am looking on ebay and I see these short shifters:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/NEW-PORSCHE-911-996-986-BOXSTER-SHORT-SHIFTER-KIT_W0QQitemZ200035942380QQihZ010QQcategoryZ33736Q QrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Short-Shifter-Porsche-911-986-996-997-Boxster-S-97-05_W0QQitemZ250036763732QQihZ015QQcategoryZ33736QQ rdZ1QQcmdZViewItem
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Porsche-Boxster-Boxster-S-Short-Shifter-Shifters-L-K_W0QQitemZ300035201912QQihZ020QQcategoryZ33736QQr dZ1QQcmdZViewItem

To me they all look like the same shifter, has anyone ever installed this and how is it? Should I get the super cheap one, the middle priced one, or the one from the "sponsor"? For reals, ebay is all lies and I need some unbiased and concrete evidence or some testimony.

Old 10-10-2006, 06:09 PM   #2

DelubozParts gave me one for free for doing the header and muffler mod on my car and I have yet to get it installed. So I can tell you that the parts themselves look like quality stuff, but I do not know how they feel installed yet.

As a rule of thumb, the shorter the throw, the more force will be required to get the car into the various gears.
RandallNeighbour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2006, 06:19 PM   #3
boggtown

Install it yourself, thats the only way, lol. I have looked at the B&M instructions and it looks like 70% of the work if taking the center console out.
Old 10-10-2006, 06:20 PM   #4

I'll try to help...

Bogg,

I've tried to wade through this discussion myself and have recently made a purchase of a short shifter...here is what i remember from various boards and conversations with my dealer...

B&M - top quality, feels the closest to engaging metal shift gates to the laymen, those in the know say this feels like you are shifting through hard plastic bushings, US manufacture and R&D, most money outlaid

Schnell - haven’t heard any quality issues, shift engagement feeling is a little less positive than B&M but more mechanical than stock boxster, those in the know describe the engagement as if shifting through hard rubber bushings, shift rod is canted toward driver some small number of degrees (some like this, some don't, I've heard it makes for a strange Reverse placement, but I cannot verify), unsure of manufacturing nation or R&D efforts (I've heard that some of the others give you a knock off of the B&M installation instructions, not sure if it's Schnell or some of the others), mid-line price range

Others - There is a shifter out there that looks identical to the B&M, I've heard no issues with quality, shift engagement feel is similar to the Schnell, perhaps 85% of the Schnell feel may be accurate, shares the same 10deg (or so) canted shift knob rod, and comes with instructions (perhaps copy of B&M), again, unknown manufacturing and unknown R&D, budget priced

So...I know this is not all very scientific and I wavered about just keeping my mouth shut for that very reason...however, this is what I remember from making my decision...two things i remember: 1. no quality issues were reported with any of the short shifters that people looked at from ebay (B&M, Schnell, B&M look-a-like), 2. all reduce the shift and improve the feel. I don't think you can go wrong, just ask yourself what you want and what you are willing to pay for it and you should be happy with the outcome.

For me, the third most important interface with my car is the shift mechanism, as such, I was craving that metal shift gate feel, along with that, I got the satisfaction of knowing I'm supporting a company that supports us as well through it's R&D efforts. Additionally, my mechanic has installed several of the B&M's and has not had a single issue with any. As far as value, I purchase through bumperplugs.com when they ran the 24hr special last Friday and I got it for $199. I'm satisfied with the price v. quality. Install scheduled for this Friday so I'll give you my stock to B&M comparisons then.

Let me know if you have any questions on the above, and I'll try to answer or I'll defer if I just don't know.

Good Luck with your decision.

Cheers,

--troy

Last edited by racer_troy; 10-10-2006 at 06:28 PM.
racer_troy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2006, 06:30 PM   #5
boggtown

Thanks, I am not so much concerned with the type of shifter as I am with the cost and quality of the ebay shifters. I would probably get the schnell if price werent a concern. I want to know if all those shifters are the same because if they are, I would get the $60 one. And has anyone installed a shifter? How hard is it?
Old 10-10-2006, 06:37 PM   #6

eBay B&M clones

...sorry, can't speak on the B&M clones being all the same or not...just like you...I can look at the same pics posted on the ads and wonder...however, it may or may not be beneficial to inquire to the sellers as to point of manufacture, involvement with manufacturer, R&D, what ever your inquiring mind wants to know? If you get a good answer and feel and start to build report with the re-seller, this may go along way if you eventually do have an issue with the product...

...at 60bucks you may find that you have the best value proposition yet...i'm interested to see what you find out

good luck...

Cheers,

--troy
racer_troy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2006, 06:44 PM   #7
boggtown

I sent questions to the sellers and I will post what (or if) they write back. this is basically what I asked them: Who is the manufacturer of this shifter and will you provide a warranty?
Old 10-12-2006, 09:59 AM   #8

Send a message via AIM to djomlas
just wanna shed some light on the short shifters.

this is also not porsche related.

when i had a camaro with LS1 powerplant, the car came with an expencive respectable company short shifter. i found one that is even shorter for about 15 dollars on ebay and sold the other one for 170.
the quality of the 15 dollar one was wayyyy better than the other one, so i was satisfied and the shiftes were amazingly shorter and felt much 'stiffer'

also, ask if they offer returns if anything goes bad, if they do...wel give it a shot and if its good we can all get a short shifter at bargain price.

just my .02, and sorry i wasnt able to help out with the original posted shifters because i have no experience with them.

mladen
djomlas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2006, 10:06 AM   #9

Boggtown, you may want to send a PM through eBay to some of the buyers of these short shift kits and ask them to email you after they install it with their feedback on the ease of installation and if it shifts smoothly. The seller will tell you most anything to sell the product, but the buyers have nothing to lose!
RandallNeighbour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2006, 10:31 AM   #10
boggtown

I got a reply from all 3 I sent messages to. They all basically said 1 year warranty and either: "wholesale from california", nothing at all, or from topspeed.com or something. I think I will take Todd's advice if I get one and go to a metal shop before I install it and ask what the composition of the metal in the shaft is. I might just take the leap and buy a schnell, I will have to see if anyone will buy the earrings im selling on craigslist, lol.
Old 10-12-2006, 12:22 PM   #11

short shifter comments

We did the delubosparts shifter and good solid equipment. The B&M instructions are also pretty good. The results is great for the solid shifting feel. More effort is needed to shift, but who cares

You are right, they all look alike

Good luck,
Ed
Sboxin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2006, 02:56 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by boggtown
I got a reply from all 3 I sent messages to. They all basically said 1 year warranty and either: "wholesale from california", nothing at all, or from topspeed.com or something. I think I will take Todd's advice if I get one and go to a metal shop before I install it and ask what the composition of the metal in the shaft is. I might just take the leap and buy a schnell, I will have to see if anyone will buy the earrings im selling on craigslist, lol.
Hi,

FYI, B&M is the OEM Manufacturer of Porsche's own optional Short Shifter...

Happy Motoring!... Jim'99
MNBoxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2006, 07:11 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by MNBoxster
Hi,

FYI, B&M is the OEM Manufacturer of Porsche's own optional Short Shifter...

Happy Motoring!... Jim'99
thats good to know, didnt know that actually
Old 10-15-2006, 08:41 PM   #14
boggtown

Well, I went and bought the cheapest one. I put a bid at the starting price and got it for $55. We will see how well it is made when it gets here, but heck, for $55 I could buy 3 for the price of one schnell.
Old 10-16-2006, 05:20 AM   #15

Quote:
Well, I went and bought the cheapest one. I put a bid at the starting price and got it for $55. We will see how well it is made when it gets here, but heck, for $55 I could buy 3 for the price of one schnell.
http://www.turbo911.com/showthread.php?t=282

Here was the writeup on the install that I did. You don't need to remove the front center console pieces as indicated in the writeup, but it makes putting it all back together a little easier.

If you get stuck, since you are in KC, just stop by the shop (Lenexa) and I can guide you through it......
Old 10-16-2006, 06:48 AM   #16
boggtown

Thanks for the link. I will definately use it. I might drop by the shop when I get done so I can get your advice if I need to adjust it any. While I'm there you can go ahead and tell me if its comparable to the B&M or if I should return it.
Old 10-18-2006, 04:41 PM   #17
boggtown

I got the shifter in today and installed it. The throw is reduced as much as the B&M but it is angled more than the B&M, but that doesnt really bother me. Everything went smoothly but for everyone else who is going to do it, here is some advice: when getting the stock bushings out you should use a razor blade first, then get a screw driver and pry it enough from the outside so it will spin the bushing so you have fresh tabs to cut. I know that doesnt make sense now but when you get to that step you will see what I mean. I am very pleased as I only paid $64 for the shifter and everthing.
Old 10-18-2006, 07:41 PM   #18

which one did you end up buying? one from the links you posted or what?
and which seller did you get it from?

glad to hear that it worked out, and for that money its a steal
Old 10-18-2006, 07:48 PM   #19
boggtown

I got the one from the ebay link. The seller was a2rinc I believe.
Old 10-18-2006, 08:07 PM   #20

Send a message via AIM to blinkwatt
Quote:
I got the one from the ebay link. The seller was a2rinc I believe.
a2rinc gets his parts from the same supplier as delubozparts(Che).