View Single Post
Old 10-10-2006, 06:20 PM   #4
racer_troy

I'll try to help...

Bogg,

I've tried to wade through this discussion myself and have recently made a purchase of a short shifter...here is what i remember from various boards and conversations with my dealer...

B&M - top quality, feels the closest to engaging metal shift gates to the laymen, those in the know say this feels like you are shifting through hard plastic bushings, US manufacture and R&D, most money outlaid

Schnell - haven’t heard any quality issues, shift engagement feeling is a little less positive than B&M but more mechanical than stock boxster, those in the know describe the engagement as if shifting through hard rubber bushings, shift rod is canted toward driver some small number of degrees (some like this, some don't, I've heard it makes for a strange Reverse placement, but I cannot verify), unsure of manufacturing nation or R&D efforts (I've heard that some of the others give you a knock off of the B&M installation instructions, not sure if it's Schnell or some of the others), mid-line price range

Others - There is a shifter out there that looks identical to the B&M, I've heard no issues with quality, shift engagement feel is similar to the Schnell, perhaps 85% of the Schnell feel may be accurate, shares the same 10deg (or so) canted shift knob rod, and comes with instructions (perhaps copy of B&M), again, unknown manufacturing and unknown R&D, budget priced

So...I know this is not all very scientific and I wavered about just keeping my mouth shut for that very reason...however, this is what I remember from making my decision...two things i remember: 1. no quality issues were reported with any of the short shifters that people looked at from ebay (B&M, Schnell, B&M look-a-like), 2. all reduce the shift and improve the feel. I don't think you can go wrong, just ask yourself what you want and what you are willing to pay for it and you should be happy with the outcome.

For me, the third most important interface with my car is the shift mechanism, as such, I was craving that metal shift gate feel, along with that, I got the satisfaction of knowing I'm supporting a company that supports us as well through it's R&D efforts. Additionally, my mechanic has installed several of the B&M's and has not had a single issue with any. As far as value, I purchase through bumperplugs.com when they ran the 24hr special last Friday and I got it for $199. I'm satisfied with the price v. quality. Install scheduled for this Friday so I'll give you my stock to B&M comparisons then.

Let me know if you have any questions on the above, and I'll try to answer or I'll defer if I just don't know.

Good Luck with your decision.

Cheers,

--troy

Last edited by racer_troy; 10-10-2006 at 06:28 PM.
racer_troy is offline   Reply With Quote