Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-13-2020, 10:14 AM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kboggs View Post
I had the small mono amp already to use for just the door subs. Figured while i was in there just get rid of the factory amp and use a larger 4 channel amp for the fronts and rears. Im trying to talk my wife into letting me try out a larger sub in the frunk.
Gotcha on the amps. Sub in the frunk won't work I'm pretty sure, freq will be absorbed by the body more than anything and you'll end up with a nasty humming all across. Unless you drive this at 25+ Amps/current then, dunno, could be fun

See if you can fit one of those low-profile 8" sub, e.g. Kicker w/ built-in 150W Amplifier. Just shim the passenger seat +1 inch up and be done with it (I'm only guessing here).

ps. that cabin is pretty damn small, watch out for the high dB for long duration bro

Old 01-13-2020, 10:24 AM   #22

My god... 10" at only 2.7" LOL They got them in 8" also....
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B019Z3R582/?creativeASIN=B019Z3R582&linkCode=w61&imprToken=beW54I9siTmwcn2.CQG7ZA&slotNum=0&tag=audiodrive-20

Here another 8" at 2.8" ish tall, although a bit pricey...
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00OYGGMXK/?creativeASIN=B00OYGGMXK&linkCode=w61&imprToken=beW54I9siTmwcn2.CQG7ZA&slotNum=3&tag=audiodrive-20
Old 01-13-2020, 11:47 AM   #23

I thought about it but not much room, never thought about shimming seat up!! You may have sparked some ideas!! One problem is a computer module under passenger seat, but maybe one for the driver would be fun!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Kboggs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2020, 02:41 PM   #24

After some thinking, no room for subwoofers and instead of the under seat subs and having to shim seats, going to strap two bass shaker tactile transducers under each seat. Many good reviews for convertibles. Never used them before but will update when done. My small amp running the door subs is 1 ohm stable, so should be a quick and easy addition and give the bass shakers 75 watts each.

If it doesn’t work great, at least my wife may enjoy the seat vibrations!

Old 01-15-2020, 03:28 PM   #25
1998 Boxster Silver/Red

This is what I'm running, and quite satisfied with it.

https://www.amazon.com/Kenwood-KSC-SW11-Compact-Enclosed-Subwoofer/dp/B00BO8O9XQ

Mine is installed at the top of the passenger footwell, and covered by the floor mat. Perfect.
Old 01-16-2020, 01:32 PM   #26

Here is a link to a guy make sub boxes the fit in the floor, really expensive but here is the link.
996/ 997 Floor boxes

I used a Bose subwoofer box from 996 cabriolet footwell, sealed it up and mounted an 8” sub doesn't bother the wife and does a decent job. Definitely not a earth shaker but notable low range support.
Old 01-16-2020, 08:54 PM   #27
Certified Boxster Addict

That's a really nice job, well done!
1997 Spec Boxster BSR #254
1979 911 SC
POC Licensed DE/TT Instructor
thstone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2020, 04:13 PM   #28

How do those earthquake shallow mount subs sound in the doors? What kind of power are you sending to them? Do the stock speaker enclosures provide enough volume for them to move any air?
JavPit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2020, 04:20 PM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by JavPit View Post
How do those earthquake shallow mount subs sound in the doors? What kind of power are you sending to them? Do the stock speaker enclosures provide enough volume for them to move any air?

Honestly not really happy with them. Fill the mid-bass ok, but not as loud as I would have thought. Have 75 clean rms watts from a punch amp going to each. I think the air volume is plenty, they move well just small size and nothing to reflect off of.

If I had it to do over would either try a 6.5 inch kicker sub that I think would be louder, or a good pair of coaxials or full range. The 4inch speakers don’t sound very full when loud.

Old 01-17-2020, 05:17 PM   #30

Have a enclosed pioneer sub with installed amp behind the passenger seat. Seat's farthest back is about 1 1/2" farther forward, but since it is my DD and 99% of the time I am solo. Who cares. Any passenger doesn't like it, they can walk.
SMK Shoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2020, 01:31 AM   #31

Well to increase the perception of decent bass response, added 4 dayton tactile tranducer pucks under the seats. Will get them wired up soon but a cheap experiment. The aura bass shaker pros wouldnt fit, too large so sent them back and got these pucks. They fit easily, just not as strong im sure. They are mounted to a 1/4 inch piect of marine starboard, its light and very solid plastic material. Bought 2 12 x 6 inch pieces off ebay cheap and fits perfectly under the seats without modification at all! I secured them to the plastic frame to help transfer vibration across the whole seat better! Fingers crossed, will post review when i get them hooked up!

Old 02-15-2020, 01:32 AM   #32

Old 02-16-2020, 10:57 AM   #33

Man these things are freakin awesome. If your craving some bass and no space I am happy with the results! If I tolf you I had 2 8 or 10 inch subs under each seat you would believe it! Has the same punch of a subwoofer, but not the volume. The ticket is mounting correctly and having a separate amp with a remote bass control so you can tune easily. Probably my favorite mod to date. If you like the punch of good bass, I would highly recommend!!@

Old 02-18-2020, 11:07 AM   #34

Awesome! I have been scratching my head on what to do for bass in the boxster and have a very nice diamond 8 in a ported box i could modify for the footwell from my old cayenne.

What kind of amp/ power are you sending to the pucks?
aparke4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2020, 12:14 PM   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by aparke4 View Post
Awesome! I have been scratching my head on what to do for bass in the boxster and have a very nice diamond 8 in a ported box i could modify for the footwell from my old cayenne.

What kind of amp/ power are you sending to the pucks?

I have a small rockford pbr 300 amp running the 4 pucks and two door subs since it is 1 ohm stable. Each puck is 8 ohm (can get 16 ohm) getting 35-40 rms watts each with a low pass crossover which is perfect, these cant handle much power. Having a remote bass control knob is essential also for fine tuning from song to song. I bought 2 pieces of 6x12 inch 1/2 inch thick marine starboard cheap off ebay to mount them to and they fit perfectly with no modification. Stronger than plywood and lighter which i think helps transfer the vibrations more. Then screwed to the edge of frame to hold in place. It is a must do for the cost/benefit if your up to adding a small separate amp! Some rap songs with good bass my wife said it was vibrating her glasses on her face....and who knows what else. Its cool, you get the bass kick I have been craving, but no loss of space and never affected by top being down.

Old 09-12-2020, 04:01 AM   #36

I have been tinkering for a while, but finally have the boxster stereo system where I am finally satisfied. Upgraded head unit, 3 amps, rear factory subwoofer with factory speakers replaced with high end Morel woofers, polk db coaxials in the doors, alpine dash speakers, and 3 bass shakers attached to each seat.

I love bass, and these cars its nearly impossible to get good bass in. The small shakers under the seats added a little vibration, but the large ones mounted to the back WOW. You would think there were 12” subwoofers hidden. You can control them to where you just feel it a little, or turn them up and the large one on the back can almost distort your vision!!!

And other than the head unit, everything visible in the cab looks factory.

Old 09-12-2020, 06:55 PM   #37

Smile

Maybe you could squeeze ted nugent in the other trunk

MrBen is offline   Reply With Quote