Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-19-2019, 09:48 AM   #1

android mirror track timer

hi. i'd brought this idea up in one of pw's threads but thought that i would stop the hijack and start a new one.

for us track rats that don't have a dedicated data system, we use harry's lap timer (hlt) or cantrell motorsports apps on our phones, stuck to the windshield or somesuch in an iphone mount, vibrating away, always difficult to ensure exactly straight so that the g-force readings are semi-accurate, with a power cord to the lighter socket right where the shifter is (i have more than once unplugged it in the red mist).

so, android rearview mirrors. $140 of ebay direct from china. you can get an ebay swivel mount for another $10 and a factory-looking install (ie, not bungied to the oem mirror). latest iteration of mirrors has lots of ram and current os to run just about any apps. bt and wifi. sd slots. built-in forward camera and a remote rear camera as well.

thinking of getting one and putting hlt on it. see if it plays well with the onboard camera. get an accurate bt or wifi gps and mount in a discrete location. hardwire everything, see if it all works.

if it does, opportunity for a wifi obd reader as well. perhaps wire the rear camera for a pip cockpit view. all very discrete and won't take up any dash space (with a gt3 console delete, hvac controls and a din gauge panel there's no room in the dash regardless ...).

anyone have any experience with these things? anything i should worry about before i drop the $?

The Radium King is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2019, 02:33 PM   #2

well, i just heard back from harry and he thinks it will work fine. he advises that the display will be messy, but i typically only ever look at the lap timer to see the lat-g reading, so may try to customise the screen to only display that.

omward.
Old 12-27-2019, 04:46 PM   #3

Did you get an android mirror? If so which one?
Old 12-27-2019, 07:28 PM   #4

ordered and enroute. will post what i got and if it works shortly!
Old 12-28-2019, 12:15 AM   #5
Who's askin'?

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Radium King View Post
ordered and enroute. will post what i got and if it works shortly!
Sounds intriguing!
Following.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk
maytag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2019, 11:44 AM   #6

in speaking w harry, not all screens are available in landscape mode. apparently the accelerometer screen is one of them. we'll see how it all looks when up and running. there is also cms if hlt doesnt look good.
Old 01-12-2020, 03:11 PM   #7

so, got the mirror and hlt up and running on it. screens look ok and it has good gps, but cannot get the video working? not sure if hlt thinks it's an external camera or what. the camera shows up on the sensor list so the app can see it. been back and forth w harry a bit, but all he can suggest it so check my permissions. permissions are good. given that it's an android system purpose built to act as a video recorder, i can't help but think there might be some garbage in the operating system keeping the app from getting to the camera. but i'm an ios guy so kinda lost. ideas?