View Single Post
Old 11-19-2019, 09:48 AM   #1
The Radium King

android mirror track timer

hi. i'd brought this idea up in one of pw's threads but thought that i would stop the hijack and start a new one.

for us track rats that don't have a dedicated data system, we use harry's lap timer (hlt) or cantrell motorsports apps on our phones, stuck to the windshield or somesuch in an iphone mount, vibrating away, always difficult to ensure exactly straight so that the g-force readings are semi-accurate, with a power cord to the lighter socket right where the shifter is (i have more than once unplugged it in the red mist).

so, android rearview mirrors. $140 of ebay direct from china. you can get an ebay swivel mount for another $10 and a factory-looking install (ie, not bungied to the oem mirror). latest iteration of mirrors has lots of ram and current os to run just about any apps. bt and wifi. sd slots. built-in forward camera and a remote rear camera as well.

thinking of getting one and putting hlt on it. see if it plays well with the onboard camera. get an accurate bt or wifi gps and mount in a discrete location. hardwire everything, see if it all works.

if it does, opportunity for a wifi obd reader as well. perhaps wire the rear camera for a pip cockpit view. all very discrete and won't take up any dash space (with a gt3 console delete, hvac controls and a din gauge panel there's no room in the dash regardless ...).

anyone have any experience with these things? anything i should worry about before i drop the $?
The Radium King is offline   Reply With Quote