Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-30-2019, 03:07 PM   #1

Garage
2002 Boxster base

I looked at a car today for a friend. Asking $10K or so. 56,000 miles. Silver Gray, not sure of the color. Blue top, black interior. No IMS work done, but regular oil changes according to the owner. It was her husbands car. He passed 4 years ago. 5 speed manual. 7 inch wheels, a few scratches, mainly on the drivers side door. Opinions? Again, this is not for me. I recommended a PPI, and oil analysis to start. In the ballpark? I think so.

Blackcloud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2019, 03:09 PM   #2

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackcloud View Post
I looked at a car today for a friend. Asking $10K or so. 56,000 miles. Silver Gray, not sure of the color. Blue top, black interior. No IMS work done, but regular oil changes according to the owner. It was her husbands car. He passed 4 years ago. 5 speed manual. 7 inch wheels, a few scratches, mainly on the drivers side door. Opinions? Again, this is not for me. I recommended a PPI, and oil analysis to start. In the ballpark? I think so.
Obviously 17 inch wheels!
Old 10-01-2019, 06:19 AM   #3

Never understood why people get an oil analysis, just seems like a waste of money. With driving only 3k miles a year, expect to have to start replacing things, like anything rubber, water pump, etc. Tires are most likely original and have dry rot. Without pictures and an options sticker it is difficult to say if that is in line. From what you posted though I think it is too much and I wouldn't pay over $9k. And the IMS work isn't that big of a deal on an 02, especially since engines can be had for well under $2k these days.
2002 996 (SOLD)
1986 944 (gone but missed)
Stl-986 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2019, 06:44 AM   #4
Who's askin'?

Seems WAY too high for me. Especially this time of year.
If it's at a dealer, that's an $8k car. Private party it's $5500. All. Day. Long.
But really it comes down to what your willing to spend on a car you really like. If it's "the car", then who cares? Buy it. If it's not an emotional decision, then it's the wrong car: move along.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk
maytag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2019, 07:36 AM   #5
1998 Boxster Silver/Red

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stl-986 View Post
Never understood why people get an oil analysis, just seems like a waste of money. With driving only 3k miles a year, expect to have to start replacing things, like anything rubber, water pump, etc. Tires are most likely original and have dry rot. Without pictures and an options sticker it is difficult to say if that is in line. From what you posted though I think it is too much and I wouldn't pay over $9k. And the IMS work isn't that big of a deal on an 02, especially since engines can be had for well under $2k these days.
I had the oil analyzed shortly after I purchased my 1-owner, no service records, 98. My interest was if there was anything I should consider repairing/addressing before I started throwing money at it. Results came back promising. That was 2 years ago.

My 2012 Edge is running 180,000 miles and I'm readying to drop a couple grand into into the front suspension. However, not before I have the oil analyzed. For while it may run great... no major repairs... just usual maintenance items... I want to know if anything is lurking where those grand$ might better be spent.

An oil analysis will reveal what is/could be happening inside the internals.

If you believe an oil analysis is going to tell you about the condition of your rubber parts, water pump, rotors, break lights, and assorted adult toys... ummm, no.

Out.
Old 10-01-2019, 12:38 PM   #6

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by maytag View Post
Seems WAY too high for me. Especially this time of year.
If it's at a dealer, that's an $8k car. Private party it's $5500. All. Day. Long.
But really it comes down to what your willing to spend on a car you really like. If it's "the car", then who cares? Buy it. If it's not an emotional decision, then it's the wrong car: move along.

As I said, the car is not for me, but for a friend moving up from a 944 he autocrosses with. $5500 in New York? Not going to cut it. He is seeing this car over the weekend and I will report back.
Old 10-01-2019, 02:17 PM   #7

There are several (over a dozen actually) on facebook marketplace in that area well under $10k
2002 996 (SOLD)
Old 10-01-2019, 02:20 PM   #8

If $10k is in his range I would expand the search. Look in FL. Fly down and then drive it back. He could find an S for under his range including the cost of a flight on JetBlue.
2002 996 (SOLD)
Old 10-01-2019, 03:05 PM   #9

So minimal miles per year (not good for a car). Maybe minimal recent miles (not good for a car). Unknown recent service history. Unknown age of tires or quality. Base. Scratches. Worst IMS. Not $10k on first hearing.

For that money I'd rather have a 100k miles car with a suspension refresh, a recent service history, new Michelins and the IMS and even then a PPI by a great P-car mechanic. It might take some looking but buy a great car and be happy.
mikefocke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2019, 04:19 PM   #10
Who's askin'?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackcloud View Post
As I said, the car is not for me, but for a friend moving up from a 944 he autocrosses with. $5500 in New York? Not going to cut it. He is seeing this car over the weekend and I will report back.
Well if it were me, I'd look OUTSIDE new York then. Flights are cheap, and drives- home are epic.
And you'll save a couple grand, if that's really true about the New York market.

Last edited by maytag; 10-01-2019 at 08:19 PM.
maytag is offline   Reply With Quote