Go Back   986 Forum - for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-30-2019, 03:07 PM   #1
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: New York
Posts: 312
Garage
2002 Boxster base

I looked at a car today for a friend. Asking $10K or so. 56,000 miles. Silver Gray, not sure of the color. Blue top, black interior. No IMS work done, but regular oil changes according to the owner. It was her husbands car. He passed 4 years ago. 5 speed manual. 7 inch wheels, a few scratches, mainly on the drivers side door. Opinions? Again, this is not for me. I recommended a PPI, and oil analysis to start. In the ballpark? I think so.

Blackcloud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2019, 03:09 PM   #2
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: New York
Posts: 312
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackcloud View Post
I looked at a car today for a friend. Asking $10K or so. 56,000 miles. Silver Gray, not sure of the color. Blue top, black interior. No IMS work done, but regular oil changes according to the owner. It was her husbands car. He passed 4 years ago. 5 speed manual. 7 inch wheels, a few scratches, mainly on the drivers side door. Opinions? Again, this is not for me. I recommended a PPI, and oil analysis to start. In the ballpark? I think so.
Obviously 17 inch wheels!
Blackcloud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2019, 06:19 AM   #3
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2017
Posts: 55
Never understood why people get an oil analysis, just seems like a waste of money. With driving only 3k miles a year, expect to have to start replacing things, like anything rubber, water pump, etc. Tires are most likely original and have dry rot. Without pictures and an options sticker it is difficult to say if that is in line. From what you posted though I think it is too much and I wouldn't pay over $9k. And the IMS work isn't that big of a deal on an 02, especially since engines can be had for well under $2k these days.
__________________
2000 Boxster Tiptronic
Stl-986 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2019, 06:44 AM   #4
Who's askin'?
 
maytag's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2018
Location: Utah
Posts: 1,945
Seems WAY too high for me. Especially this time of year.
If it's at a dealer, that's an $8k car. Private party it's $5500. All. Day. Long.
But really it comes down to what your willing to spend on a car you really like. If it's "the car", then who cares? Buy it. If it's not an emotional decision, then it's the wrong car: move along.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk
maytag is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2019, 07:36 AM   #5
1998 Boxster Silver/Red
 
Join Date: Sep 2017
Location: 92262
Posts: 1,750
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stl-986 View Post
Never understood why people get an oil analysis, just seems like a waste of money. With driving only 3k miles a year, expect to have to start replacing things, like anything rubber, water pump, etc. Tires are most likely original and have dry rot. Without pictures and an options sticker it is difficult to say if that is in line. From what you posted though I think it is too much and I wouldn't pay over $9k. And the IMS work isn't that big of a deal on an 02, especially since engines can be had for well under $2k these days.
I had the oil analyzed shortly after I purchased my 1-owner, no service records, 98. My interest was if there was anything I should consider repairing/addressing before I started throwing money at it. Results came back promising. That was 2 years ago.

My 2012 Edge is running 180,000 miles and I'm readying to drop a couple grand into into the front suspension. However, not before I have the oil analyzed. For while it may run great... no major repairs... just usual maintenance items... I want to know if anything is lurking where those grand$ might better be spent.

An oil analysis will reveal what is/could be happening inside the internals.

If you believe an oil analysis is going to tell you about the condition of your rubber parts, water pump, rotors, break lights, and assorted adult toys... ummm, no.

Out.
__________________
1998 Porsche Boxster
1986 BMW 325es
2012 Ford Edge Sport

"Ignore the guilt, and take your turn"
Starter986 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2019, 12:38 PM   #6
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: New York
Posts: 312
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by maytag View Post
Seems WAY too high for me. Especially this time of year.
If it's at a dealer, that's an $8k car. Private party it's $5500. All. Day. Long.
But really it comes down to what your willing to spend on a car you really like. If it's "the car", then who cares? Buy it. If it's not an emotional decision, then it's the wrong car: move along.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk
As I said, the car is not for me, but for a friend moving up from a 944 he autocrosses with. $5500 in New York? Not going to cut it. He is seeing this car over the weekend and I will report back.
Blackcloud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2019, 02:17 PM   #7
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2017
Posts: 55
There are several (over a dozen actually) on facebook marketplace in that area well under $10k
__________________
2000 Boxster Tiptronic
Stl-986 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2019, 02:20 PM   #8
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2017
Posts: 55
If $10k is in his range I would expand the search. Look in FL. Fly down and then drive it back. He could find an S for under his range including the cost of a flight on JetBlue.
__________________
2000 Boxster Tiptronic
Stl-986 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2019, 03:05 PM   #9
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Sanford NC
Posts: 2,371
So minimal miles per year (not good for a car). Maybe minimal recent miles (not good for a car). Unknown recent service history. Unknown age of tires or quality. Base. Scratches. Worst IMS. Not $10k on first hearing.

For that money I'd rather have a 100k miles car with a suspension refresh, a recent service history, new Michelins and the IMS and even then a PPI by a great P-car mechanic. It might take some looking but buy a great car and be happy.
mikefocke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2019, 04:19 PM   #10
Who's askin'?
 
maytag's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2018
Location: Utah
Posts: 1,945
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackcloud View Post
As I said, the car is not for me, but for a friend moving up from a 944 he autocrosses with. $5500 in New York? Not going to cut it. He is seeing this car over the weekend and I will report back.
Well if it were me, I'd look OUTSIDE new York then. Flights are cheap, and drives- home are epic.
And you'll save a couple grand, if that's really true about the New York market.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk


Last edited by maytag; 10-01-2019 at 08:19 PM.
maytag is online now   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On




All times are GMT -8. The time now is 12:56 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0
Copyright 2018 Pelican Parts, LLC - Posts may be archived for display on the Pelican Parts Website -    DMCA Registered Agent Contact Page