Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-28-2019, 11:48 PM   #1

Garage
Anti squeal paste on the back of the pads

First time changing the pads on my 01 S, but not the first set of pads I’ve installed on a car. Does any one use the antisqueal paste provided by the pad mfr? The Pelican DIY video does not show the use of the paste. I’m used to putting them on my other cars and wondered if this is not needed on the boxster.

Is the backing pads sufficient?

Sorry if this has been asked. And thanks in advance.

Steelepuls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2019, 03:57 AM   #2
Who's askin'?

I always use ther paste. ALWAYS.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk
maytag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2019, 04:18 AM   #3

I’m also replacing pads and rotors on my 01s and I believe the backing plates are there to provide the anti squeal, as you probably know the plates have a sticky surface to adhere to the back of the pad so don’t think the paste would be effective.
Jiminmaine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2019, 05:48 AM   #4
2003 S, Arctic Silver, M6

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by maytag View Post
I always use ther paste. ALWAYS.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk
+1...... for paste
paulofto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2019, 06:00 AM   #5
Who's askin'?

there are really two main causes of "squeal" in brakes.

1. Wear. when the wear-pads get into the rotor. Though I've never described this sound as a squeal, that's what brake mfr's usually call it.

2. Vibration & rubbing of hard parts against other hard parts. This is why the paste is used. This is also why the backing pad is there. Both are designed to provide a "separation" that will resist the vibrations transferring through. You'll notce that the factory pads (and some of the aftermarket pads) for this car have "counter-weights" on them, sorta hangin' in the breeze.. these are dampers, designed to cut that vibration as well. This is the primary reason that the Raybestos race-pads some of us are using are so damn noisy, because those weights aren't there.

So: paste or no paste? ideally, the pad provides the same protection as the paste. so maybe some redundancy in using both.
But I ALWAYS use paste. I use it on all of the sliding parts, adjusters, etc as well. It keeps things working smoothly.

YMMV
maytag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2019, 06:15 AM   #6

Ok that makes sense, I always put some paste on the moving contact points also. Thanks for the explanation on the counter weights, I thought I got sent the wrong front pads. Thanks ,jim
Jiminmaine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2019, 08:36 AM   #7

Garage
I'm another + for using antisqueal paste. Sorta like belt and suspenders, if you don't use it and the pads do squeal your just going to need to go back and add it anyway.
Old 08-29-2019, 08:43 AM   #8

Use the paste if you've got it.

Last brake job (on a Toyota) I used heavy duty everything because I'm towing a jetski. They kinda cheeped out on the antisqueal, so I use NAPA Sil Glyde--a silicone grease. Use very small amounts, it doesn't take much.

I really like this stuff.
Brian in Tucson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2019, 11:16 AM   #9

Garage
Thanks for the replies guys. Makes me feel better that others use the paste and the sticky backing dampers together.

This saves me a job of taking it apart again and cleaning off the paste. Thought I made an oopsie after watching the video on pelican after I started the project.
Old 08-29-2019, 05:13 PM   #10

My brakes squeal. Haven't changed them yet since I've owned it, but I suspect they didn't use paste. Guaranteed I will use it when it's time to replace.
piper6909 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2019, 08:30 PM   #11

Garage
All four corners finished off today, had to wait for the front sensors to come in. Waited a tad bit too long to change the front pads and the sensors were somewhat worn to almost breaking. Next time I’ll check them more regularly before the light comes on.
Took her for a long drive around the town and their on their way to being bedded.
And no squeal, with the paste. :dance: