Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-28-2019, 02:11 PM   #1
1998 Boxster Silver/Red

I know. However, before I sign up with...

the Cayenne forum I wanted to get our seasoned member's take on this vehicle.

https://orangecounty.craigslist.org/cto/d/costa-mesa-2008-porsche-cayenne-65k/6960867027.html

Thoughts? Opinions? Yay? Nay?

Thank you.

Old 08-28-2019, 02:40 PM   #2
Who's askin'?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Starter986 View Post
the Cayenne forum I wanted to get our seasoned member's take on this vehicle.

https://orangecounty.craigslist.org/cto/d/costa-mesa-2008-porsche-cayenne-65k/6960867027.html

Thoughts? Opinions? Yay? Nay?

Thank you.
I owned one about 6-1/2 years ago. Also an '08 S.
Good car, not a great SUV. Not enough "U", for my use.
The vehicle before that was a Mercedes ML430, and the one after that was a JEEP GC summit. Both offer similar (or better) luxury. Both more reliable (especially the Mercedes). Both more capable off-road or in inclement weather. Both have higher tow ratings. Both have larger cargo capacity. Both have note seating room.

I could go on and on.
Ultimately, I was dissatisfied with the cayenne, because I needed an SUV. I do more than transport kids to soccer practice with it.

I should also mention that the jeep holds its value MUCH better than either the Porsche or the Benz.

I guess I'm saying it comes down to what you want to do with it.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk
maytag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2019, 03:39 PM   #3
1998 Boxster Silver/Red

Quote:
Originally Posted by maytag View Post
I owned one about 6-1/2 years ago. Also an '08 S.
Good car, not a great SUV. Not enough "U", for my use.
The vehicle before that was a Mercedes ML430, and the one after that was a JEEP GC summit. Both offer similar (or better) luxury. Both more reliable (especially the Mercedes). Both more capable off-road or in inclement weather. Both have higher tow ratings. Both have larger cargo capacity. Both have note seating room.

I could go on and on.
Ultimately, I was dissatisfied with the cayenne, because I needed an SUV. I do more than transport kids to soccer practice with it.

I should also mention that the jeep holds its value MUCH better than either the Porsche or the Benz.

I guess I'm saying it comes down to what you want to do with it.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk
Thanks, Maytag. I'm gonna scratch the Cayenne from the list. Wife is now looking at a newer BMW, X5 maybe. I don't know. She wants the bells and whistles... navigation... bluetooth... backup camera... memory seats... room for 5... sunroof... the techy stuff.

For me... that just means more stuff to break and/or maintain.

What to do with it. Hmmm. Transport grandkids on occasion. Otherwise, she just likes driving a couch on the freeway. In the 2 years, this week, since we've had the 986 she has driven it maybe 500 miles... maybe 5 times. You'd think she was going to soil herself... grabbing the sides of the seat... the door handle... and that's just exiting the driveway.

I'll keep looking. And that Jeep does look nice. I'll have to research.

Chat soon!
Old 08-28-2019, 04:13 PM   #4

I have a first generation Toyota Highlander--mostly because I can't afford an expensive SUV. At 200+ thousand miles, it's in like new condition and I got it cheap enough to put fresh paint on it. Before you buy some European exotica, I'd give a look at new or gently used late model Toyotas, either a RAV 4 or a Highlander. Toyota products have a reputation for quality. My last three cars were Toyotas, they deserve the rep. And you can find one with all the bells and whistles.

Just my humble opinion.
Brian in Tucson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2019, 04:16 PM   #5

My wife's daily is a Volvo XC90 it is a nice vehicle . Legendary safety and very comfortable . The 3.2 straight six is a sweet motor .
2002 Boxster S Arctic Silver with black top with glass window and black leather interior. Jake Raby 3.6 SS ( the beast ) with IMS Solution. 996 GT3 front bumper , GT3 rocker covers and GT3TEK rear diffuser and Joe Toth composites rear ducktail spoiler .
rfuerst911sc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2019, 06:33 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian in Tucson View Post
I have a first generation Toyota Highlander--mostly because I can't afford an expensive SUV. At 200+ thousand miles, it's in like new condition and I got it cheap enough to put fresh paint on it. Before you buy some European exotica, I'd give a look at new or gently used late model Toyotas, either a RAV 4 or a Highlander. Toyota products have a reputation for quality. My last three cars were Toyotas, they deserve the rep. And you can find one with all the bells and whistles.

Just my humble opinion.
We have a 2005 Highlander XLE. We bought it new and it is approaching 220,000 miles. My wife is very happy with it. It is not a vehicle that will make your heart beat faster, but it gets the job done at an extremely reasonable cost. You do have to replace the timing belt every 100,000 miles and most people replace the water pump at the same time.

The Lexus RX 300/330 is mechanically identical and I’ve been told that it is easier to find find good deals on a low mileage, garage-kept Lexus than a Highlander of the same vintage. I guess people keep their Highlanders until they wear them out.
Painted Bumperettes, 2004 (OEM) Top, Homelink integrated in dash with Targa switch, 997 Shifter, Carrera Gauge Cluster with silver gauge faces, heated 12-way driver & 8-way passenger seats, Litronics, silver console
KevinH1990 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2019, 07:35 PM   #7

Cadillac SRX. Buy a low miles a few years old let someone else take the hit. Mine is the performance model one sweet ride. My sister has an X5 it's a rattling bucket of bolts. She always ask me when will I trade
MrBen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2019, 07:02 AM   #8
Who's askin'?

FWIW: the '05 BMW X5 is #2 on my list of the absolute WORST cars I've ever owned. Second only to an '80's Mazda MPV. Based on my experience with that X5, it's unlikely I'll ever own another BMW. The build quality was so piss-poor that I couldn't even sit down in the car without fear something else was going to break-off in the interior.
A low-speed slide into a curb in the snow (HORRIBLE in the snow) actually pulled the suspension out from underneath the car. Totaled it. I was SO HAPPY to be done with that car.

I know everyone says BMW is known for good build quality, but that's not been my experience. (Admittedly my experience is limited to that X5 and my wife's Mini Cooper, which is also HORRIBLE)

YMMV.
maytag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2019, 08:43 AM   #9
1998 Boxster Silver/Red

Quote:
FWIW: the '05 BMW X5 is #2 on my list of the absolute WORST cars I've ever owned. Second only to an '80's Mazda MPV. Based on my experience with that X5, it's unlikely I'll ever own another BMW. The build quality was so piss-poor that I couldn't even sit down in the car without fear something else was going to break-off in the interior.
A low-speed slide into a curb in the snow (HORRIBLE in the snow) actually pulled the suspension out from underneath the car. Totaled it. I was SO HAPPY to be done with that car.

I know everyone says BMW is known for good build quality, but that's not been my experience. (Admittedly my experience is limited to that X5 and my wife's Mini Cooper, which is also HORRIBLE)

YMMV.
Oh, I know. Everything I've read about them I find discouraging. Overpriced and unreliable junk. 100% I'm certain I won't be letting wifey persuade me to get a Bim SUV. Not gonna happen.

Now... the older bims? I've got 290K on my 86 325es. Put quite a few miles on the 89 535i as well.

The new stuff? Nope.

Cheers!
Old 08-29-2019, 08:59 AM   #10

Wife just picked up a 2019 Rav4 couple months ago. She loves it. Pretty good as a SUV. If she needs any large hauling , she uses my tundra. I was a chevy guy for over 25 years until I bought a new Tundra in dec 2016. Now, only vehicle I will buy for hard use is Toyota.
SMK Shoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2019, 10:23 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Starter986 View Post
Oh, I know. Everything I've read about them I find discouraging. Overpriced and unreliable junk. 100% I'm certain I won't be letting wifey persuade me to get a Bim SUV. Not gonna happen.

Now... the older bims? I've got 290K on my 86 325es. Put quite a few miles on the 89 535i as well.

The new stuff? Nope.

Cheers!
Colleague at work just bought brand new X5. Within 6 weeks had to have the complete entertainment unit replaced because of a bluetooth issue. Still has issues with the new unit.

Bit off topic. I had an E24 and an E32. The 3.5 inline 6 was the best engine BMW ever built.
alynch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2019, 08:18 PM   #12
Certified Boxster Addict

I've had two X5's. Both were excellent to drive and I never had any significant issues with either of them beyond regular and expected repairs. Maybe I was just lucky.
1997 Spec Boxster BSR #254
1979 911 SC
POC Licensed DE/TT Instructor
thstone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2019, 07:32 AM   #13

Toyota Land Cruiser. Expensive but I value the reliability and capability. I have had 3 generations of them. In for oil change/tire rotation at the dealership last week and the Toyota Service tech asked me why I buy Land Cruisers. My answer, "they never break."

His response: "Yeah, that's true."
dsallean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2019, 08:25 AM   #14
1998 Boxster Silver/Red

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsallean View Post
Toyota Land Cruiser. Expensive but I value the reliability and capability. I have had 3 generations of them. In for oil change/tire rotation at the dealership last week and the Toyota Service tech asked me why I buy Land Cruisers. My answer, "they never break."

His response: "Yeah, that's true."
Yes... I, too, believe those things to be bullet-proof. Which year would you recommend... and one around $25K?

My 2012 Edge Sport hit 178,000, and aside from routine maintenance... no major repairs. The 3.7 pushes 300hp, and I like that push. That said... I've 20 payments left ($475) and a few maintenance items to which I should/might attend.

Lower control arms front.
New struts front.
New brake booster and master cylinder.
New windshield.
Trans and coolant drain/flush/fill.

I specd it out and with me purchasing the parts... sourcing out the labor to a mechanic I trust... I could go out the door for ~$2500. I'm chewing on that. The truck has been bulletproof.

Yesterday I found a 2017 Edge SEL (~$30K out the door) at the Palm Springs Ford Dealer (Vin ending 7775) and it's certified (). Truck has ~27K... comes with the remaining 3/36 warranty and the certified package rolls in an additional 12/12K B2B warranty and 7/100K limited powertrain warranty. However, I'm not keen on another 84 months of $475.

The $2,500 attracts me.

The only downside to the '12 is that the water pump is internal and, like the IMS, if/when it goes... there's zero warning. That gets very costly.

Thoughts?
Old 08-30-2019, 09:23 AM   #15

I'm not too familiar with the Edge.

For your budget of $25K you would be looking for a 200 series from 2008 to maybe 2011 or 12 at the most. Also look at the LX570 which is basically the same car except for the suspension and some amenities. The 200 series is still in production. Toyota doesn't change the Land Cruiser very often.
dsallean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2019, 12:20 PM   #16

Quote:

YMMV.
Just to pile on, my brother had a very similar experience with his x5. Very poor reliability; very costly repairs. He hated that thing.
Old 09-03-2019, 01:11 PM   #17

[QUOTE: The only downside to the '12 is that the water pump is internal and, like the IMS, if/when it goes... there's zero warning. That gets very costly.
Thoughts?[/QUOTE]

What do you mean with an 'internal' water pump..?
Gilles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2019, 01:32 PM   #18
1998 Boxster Silver/Red

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gilles View Post
[QUOTE: The only downside to the '12 is that the water pump is internal and, like the IMS, if/when it goes... there's zero warning. That gets very costly.
Thoughts?
What do you mean with an 'internal' water pump..?[/QUOTE]

The 3.7 V-6 in my Edge is transverse mounted, and the water pump is not belt driven. The water pump is chain driven and internal. When it goes, just like the IMS, it's new engine time. I did not know this when I purchased it in 2014. Huge class-action going on right now, but I believe mine isn't included. That's OK... I just hit 178K.