Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-16-2019, 07:36 AM   #1

Odometer reading missing??

That could suddenly cause the odometer and trip display to dissapear...everything else is fine. It was working yesterday?

Fuses? ...any thoughts?

(1989 Boxster, manual transmission)

Rob175 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2019, 08:22 AM   #2

I spoke too soon.....it appears that the backlight bulb has burned out because the readings are still there but not backlite (orange)............

So now my options are to:
1. Live with it
2. Have it replaced by someone else
3. Try it myself as a DIY project....IF I can find instructions.

Also, since the car is 20 years old, I'm assuming it's probably wise to proactivly replace ALL the bulbs (either myself or pay someone else.

Ideas???/
Old 08-16-2019, 08:54 AM   #3
Motorist & Coffee Drinker

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob175 View Post
3. Try it myself as a DIY project....IF I can find instructions....
Instructions: https://www.pelicanparts.com/techarticles/Boxster_Tech/102-ELEC-Instrument_Cluster_Bulb_Replacement/102-ELEC-Instrument_Cluster_Bulb_Replacement.htm

This may be of some use, but it's an '01 model which is slightly different. I think that the Pelican Parts Tech Article has you covered.
http://986forum.com/forums/diy-project-guides/70976-disassemble-instrument-cluster-2001-a.html

Old 08-16-2019, 09:33 AM   #4

This pic is from Pelican....I'm looking for the bulb that backlights the Odometer and trip readout......can someone tell me where to find it. I ask before I attempt taking the cluster out of the dash.....I need to make sure I can "handle" this DIY project. Is it one of the spots marked "LCD" and the red line????....or is deeper under the black plastic??

Old 08-16-2019, 11:08 AM   #5
Motorist & Coffee Drinker

Garage
In reply to this and the PM, You don't have to go deeper than removing the instrument cluster. No further disassembly needed. The bulbs in a 1998 should be easy to remove and replace with a small screw driver. I'd recommend replacing the three that are marked with the red line in fig. 15 while you have it out. Removing the cluster is not difficult, but the plastic connectors for the wire harness may be brittle. Handle gently.
Here's the location of the odometer LCD illumination bulb:

Here's a pic of the same bulbs on Amazon, but listed for a BMW. I couldn't find them browsing PelicanParts, but customer service may find them and confirm fitment if you call. "12 volt 1.5 watt". Part number in the Porsche catalog is: 999.631.303.90
Old 08-16-2019, 12:02 PM   #6

Thanks a million for your help.....I just ordered 5 from ********************************AZ in Arizona for .80 each so I can replace all of them while I'm at it. (20 year old bulbs, I'm sure others might go soon...lol)

I also found a very good Youtube video showing how to remove the cluster itself.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z4cB7HQDAvo

I'm hoping to be able to just pull out the cluster far enough to change the bulbs without dealing with the 3 connectors. They say a 6mm socket can be used to easily twist to unlock the bulbs. I have also seen a video on how the connectors "unlock" should I need to gain more access. It appears that the emergeny fasher is the only tough one to unhook, but not impossible.

So I have a project for next week I guess.....wish me luck!...and thanks for the info and help.

R
Old 08-17-2019, 04:03 PM   #7
Certified Boxster Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob175 View Post
I'm hoping to be able to just pull out the cluster far enough to change the bulbs without dealing with the 3 connectors. They say a 6mm socket can be used to easily twist to unlock the bulbs. I have also seen a video on how the connectors "unlock" should I need to gain more access. It appears that the emergeny fasher is the only tough one to unhook, but not impossible.
This is one of the easiest DIY's in the world. When you get in there, everything is pretty obvious. It should only take about 15 mins.
1997 Spec Boxster BSR #254
1979 911 SC
POC Licensed DE/TT Instructor
thstone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2019, 03:04 PM   #8

LOL...a "15 min. job" is great but I'd even settle for 1 to 2 hours from start to finish...lol. I was quoted $240 and obviously 98% is labor......my rate is much less!...lol.

UPDATE........
Of course as soon as I got the replacement bulbs in hand the light began working again!!!....gremlins? So, long story short I'm not touching it unless the bulbs goes out again, but I'm prepared should it happen.

Last edited by Rob175; 08-20-2019 at 06:13 AM.
Old 08-22-2019, 04:34 AM   #9

...having said all of that I'll probably replace all 5 of the lights sooner than later. Yesterday AGAIN the ODO backlight was out until I tapped the dash...so it's probably loose or failing.