Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-16-2019, 02:21 AM   #1

2004 convertible top replacement instructions

Good morning everyone,

I have a new convertible top ordered for my 2004 Boxster. I’m deciding whether to attempt the install myself or have a shop do it.

I’ve found a wealth of information regarding replacement of the 1998-2002 top but absolutely nothing for the 2003-2004 four bow top.

Does anyone know where I can find info on the 2003-2004 top replacement? Also, does anyone have any recommendations for shops in NY who have experience with later model Porsche top replacements in case I decide to have it done?

Thanks in advance for any info.

#317 550 Spyder Anniversary Edition 2004 Boxster S, 3.8L Flat Six Innovations engine, PSS9s, etc, etc . . .
The contents of my posts are for entertainment only. As confirmed by my many motor sports fails, I am not qualified to give product endorsements or mechanical advice
Oldcarguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2019, 05:50 PM   #2

You can do it!!
The fact that the 03-04 has 4 bows makes no difference. You can have your old top off in just a few hours. I did removal one day and install the next. Top was nice and tight and wrinkle free.
Loved my glass window as well.

Your new top will fit perfect without having to mess with it much at all (no real pulling or aligning required).

Just bag your parts during removal and you'll be fine. When you get to the rear seal, be careful when pulling it off as it can tear in two lengthwise if you get in a hurry.
Its funny....you need very few tools for this job.
dghii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2019, 12:12 PM   #3
A Porsche Guy

I had my plastic screen replaced on my 01. My top is in great condition. I'm not sure if you purchase just the cloth top replacement or the whole assembly with the glass. I would think it's a much easier job if you were replacing the whole assembly (drop and install). This guy BeattheBush shows how to take the whole assembly off. I would think your 4 bow like Dghii works the same.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M7aS9NmAErA

I originally was going to replace the plastic screen myself but after some research, it was best to leave it to the pros.

I chose McCoys Upholstery in Woodside, NY (Queens). The owner is Sean and it's a family run business. He's a very nice guy. You should give him a call and see how much it is to install.
1PorscheBoxster986 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2019, 12:42 PM   #4

Funny thing about doing a top (for me) was scared of it...

I decided to try it when I thought of all the other jobs I'd done on cars....head gaskets (not on Boxster) water pumps, CV boots etc. Working on a top would not require me to get greasy or crawl under the car.

I've done three tops now, the Boxster and two 350Z's. To me, it was well worth the effort for the savings. There was nothing about any of the installs that made me think I'd have been better off going to a pro.
Old 08-18-2019, 09:30 PM   #5

Fred, did you find a convertible top in the cocoa color anywhere other than Porsche oem?
BrokenLinkage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2019, 04:45 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrokenLinkage View Post
Fred, did you find a convertible top in the cocoa color anywhere other than Porsche oem?
Hi BL, sorry for my late reply!

Yes, I did find a cocoa brown top through Convertible Top Guys in Rhode Island. The material is Sonnendeck rather than Sonnenland (A5) but it does have the “Dobby” backing. Their website has a good description of the different fabric types available and their knowledgeable rep spent a lot of time with me on the phone. Even though their website lists “brown” in the A5 Sonnenland fabric, it came up as not available when we configured the order. As explained to me, the main difference is that Sonnenland is OEM manufactured in Germany and the Sonnendeck is manufactured in the US.

The top is actually manufactured by EZ-On Auto Tops in South Carolina but they do not sell directly to the public.

Coincidentally UPS says the top is arriving today. I’ll post an update with some pics as soon as possible.

Thanks everyone for your replies. Haven’t decided if I’m going to try the install myself, but I have located an installer that has “contemporary” Porsche experience if I go that route.
#317 550 Spyder Anniversary Edition 2004 Boxster S, 3.8L Flat Six Innovations engine, PSS9s, etc, etc . . .
The contents of my posts are for entertainment only. As confirmed by my many motor sports fails, I am not qualified to give product endorsements or mechanical advice
Oldcarguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2019, 07:05 AM   #7

I don’t know if this will help your decision but I assure you, you can do this!
When I decided to attempt my first top install, I always figured I could pump and take it to a pro if I goin over my head. I figured I’d attempt removal and reevaluate install at that point. Removal was very easy, even taking time to stay organized and bag parts etc., I’d say top was off in 4 hours. Second time I did a Box top, I had old top off in 90 minutes.

As far as install, to me the most daunting part was knowing I was working with a $500 ‘part’. There really was no struggle putting the top on...zero figment or tugging to align the top. Just take your time.
FYI, I used 3M spray adhesive were directed. I did not spray the glue. I sprayed glue onto paper plate and used a disposable paint brush to apply. Brushing glue on allowed me better control (less potential mess) and worked great.
Remember, you can ALWAYS go to a pro if you feel overwhelmed. Even if you just remove your old top, you’ll be a few $$ ahead!