Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-02-2019, 07:24 PM   #1

Manual sliding side-windows..?

So I'm tired of my dysfunctional side windows acting up all the time and the tedious task of buying & replacing the regulators -- have now done this three times -- and currently my passenger side often gets stuck (that recently caused some severe water damage to my immobilizer). Hence, I'm curious to know if anyone has done something similar to this conversion:

-- peer

Peer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2019, 09:09 PM   #2
Who's askin'?

I have an older brother who, when he came to help me set trusses on the home I was building, spent 4 hours building STILTS, so that he could reach the top plate without having to keep moving a ladder.
Unfortunately, we were almost done setting trusses when he finished the stilts, and promptly sprained his ankle going up stairs with them.

Why am I telling you this?

Sometimes it just makes more sense to use the wheel that's already been invented, as opposed to reimagining one that works worse, does less, costs more, etc. etc.

Most people seem to get years and years out of a replaced regulator. Why are yours failing so quickly? Are you buying cheap off-brand stuff? Installing incorrectly? I'd suggest figure out how to make it work, instead of bastardizing it altogether.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk
maytag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2019, 07:07 AM   #3
There Is No Substitute.

Garage
That would make it impossible to drop the windows when you open/close the door, also, having the windows permanently fixed in the up position doesn't make much sense on a convertible. I have the same question as maytag, have you been replacing the window regulators with quality parts? I have only replaced mine once, at around 80k miles.