Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-14-2019, 04:15 PM   #1

Bank 2 variocam troubles

A few weeks ago I was leaving work and when I got the the first traffic light and came to an idle it was really rough. I decided to just get home. It stalled a few times, but I made it. Pulled codes P0300, P0304, P305, P306 and I think the code for the solenoid or other timing related code. Also checked durametric and I got a +21 which would indicate a cam timing issue. After some research I felt like I needed to pull the cam cover and see what going on since I have 160k. I found the variocam chain guide was completely gone on the the top so I was relieved that it was obvious. It did not look the the chain jumped as the marks were still correct. Thought that maybe was why I had +21 deviation So I just replaced the guides and put it all back together and I still have a rough idle and now a +19 on the deviation. Is there anything I should check before ripping it apart? I’m thinking the variocam or solenoid has stopped working. I tried to activate the bank 2 solenoid but nothing happened and the idle was rough anyway so I couldn’t tell. Bank 1 is definitely working. Any suggestions welcome.

Rupesy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2019, 05:25 AM   #2

I have the same issue,..only the other bank. I get code P0300, P0301-03 and a P01340
which is solenoid related. I also get a rattle at 2500RPM or so. Do you get that too?

I think i have the same issue as your having. Have you found your answer yet?
86fromCA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2019, 06:03 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by 86fromCA View Post
I have the same issue,..only the other bank. I get code P0300, P0301-03 and a P01340
which is solenoid related. I also get a rattle at 2500RPM or so. Do you get that too?

I think i have the same issue as your having. Have you found your answer yet?
What year is your car? The reason I ask is depending on which DME it has I find that p1340 is either a short to B+ or a short to ground.

Either way I think the p1340 code is telling you that you have a short to battery positive or a short to ground in the wiring to that cam position sensor. or the sensor is shot.

How many miles on the car?

blue62 is offline   Reply With Quote